make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Tuesday January 18, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Flexor problems

Re: Flexor problems 07 May 2012 02:57 #16

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
Mark,

My one concern is with the hooves being bandaged for the time frame indicated, their development might be stunted. I know that with the Dalric cuffs, the cuffs are left in place for a period of time and then removed for a period of time to allow the hooves some 'recovery time'. Then repeat as necessary. I wonder if the same might be applicable in this case? It might be a good idea for the owners to consult with Dr. Redden to get a different POV/advice.
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Flexor problems 07 May 2012 04:24 #17

• Mark_Gough
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 35
Rick Burten wrote:
Mark,

My one concern is with the hooves being bandaged for the time frame indicated, their development might be stunted. I know that with the Dalric cuffs, the cuffs are left in place for a period of time and then removed for a period of time to allow the hooves some 'recovery time'. Then repeat as necessary. I wonder if the same might be applicable in this case? It might be a good idea for the owners to consult with Dr. Redden to get a different POV/advice.

Rick, I think that's a legitimate concern and the reason behind my suggestion the package be changed with some frequency. After removing the original package I did find the hooves had grown, both in width and length. I built new "shoes" to accommodate that increase in size. I also added length to the heel extensions.

It was my thought that we'd go this second session then give the foal a break for a week or two and see how she goes.

I'd be more than happy to share the case with Dr. Redden but am concerned he would require a consultation fee beyond the owner's financial constraints. She's already got several thousand in vet costs plus my fees. I'll drop Dr. Redden a note and see what interest he might have and what, if any, fee he would require to evaluate the case.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: Flexor problems 08 May 2012 10:54 #18

• DeniseMc
  • Thank you received: 9
I did find the hooves had grown, both in width and length. I built new "shoes" to accommodate that increase in size.

Taking this off-topic a bit-- But-- if you are seeing an increase in width, not because of flaring--but because of the growth of the foal, does that contradict what is tradionally taught about hoof growth-ie that growth orignates strictly from the coronet? How does the hoof capsule increase in width over it's entire length in such a short time to accomodate the growing coffin bone?. Is it the inner tubular horn that is responsible for the increase in width? And if that is so, why do folks believe that adding supplements to a diet takes 9-12 months or so to improve hoof health (ie till a new hood capsule is grown?) if the inner tubular horn is constantly produced by horn tubules further down than hoof than just at the coronet?
Denise
Last Edit: 08 May 2012 10:55 by DeniseMc.

Re: Flexor problems 08 May 2012 15:16 #19

• Jack Evers
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 45
How does the hoof capsule increase in width over it's entire length in such a short time to accommodate the growing coffin bone?.

I think a number of things happen that are unique in foals. First a foal of that age will grow a new hoof capsule in a few weeks. I can even supply pics of one doing it. At the heel it would be a couple of weeks, so as the coffin bone grows and pushes the wall outward it may push the heels forward a bit but that would quickly be compensated by heel growth.
if the inner tubular horn is constantly produced by horn tubules further down than hoof than just at the coronet?

Long time ago, but I remember a paper where radio-opaque material was introduced into the hoof wall and radiography showed the inner wall growing much faster than the outer. I also recall papers showing what you have stated above,ie that growth does not originate strictly from the coronet so I'm in agreement that even on a mature horse you do not have to grow an entire new capsule to see improvement.
Jack Evers CJF AFA#426

The best things about the good old days -- I wasn't good and I wasn't old.

The older I get, the more horses I shoe, the fewer things that I can absolutely, positively fix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dana fenn

Re: Flexor problems 08 May 2012 16:20 #20

• Mark_Gough
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 35
I agree with Jack. In babies, the growth of P3 is going to quickly change the hoof capsule. Mind you, the growth that necessitated I make new shoes wasn't a lot but I felt it important to stay ahead of that growth to avoid the problems that Rick described in an earlier post.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: Flexor problems 08 May 2012 17:08 #21

• DeniseMc
First a foal of that age will grow a new hoof capsule in a few weeks. I can even supply pics of one doing it

Hi Jack,
I'd like to see the photos. I've seen foals that are 9 months old with the "coronary sulcus" at the toe just hitting the ground. (I heard that term used to describe the demarcation that occurs between the newborn's hoof and the subsequent growth once the foal is weightbearing). If the hoof was regrown within a few weeks of birth that demarcation line should be long gone.
Denise

Re: Flexor problems 08 May 2012 21:38 #22

Denise,

If the hoof only grew from the coronary band, how could it be wider at the bottom than at the top? I think the idea that it grows only from the coronary band has been disproved.

Regards
Rick Shepherd

Although we know what we believe, we may only believe what we know. Dr William Moyers

Re: Flexor problems 08 May 2012 21:59 #23

• DeniseMc
how could it be wider at the bottom than at the top

How can these lines be parallel if it's wider at the bottom than the top? (This is a Tom Bloomer diagram posted somewhere some time ago)

hoofsurfzerogauss.jpg

Re: Flexor problems 08 May 2012 23:09 #24

It's an illusion. Look at where the top line and bottom line end. It's not a good representation of the hoof. ( I know the heel ends forward of the CB in a hoof ). But, measure the CB and the bottom of the hoof. Or better yet, shape a shoe to fit the foot, then slide it down the pastern to the CB. You could use the hoof "ring" you trim off for the same purpose. You will see that the bottom of the hoof is longer heel to heel than the top.

There is also evidence that new hoof growth takes place below the CB. ( I just don't feel like looking it up right now, maybe later.

I could be wrong - Especially in unusual cases. Club feet come to mind. ;)

:pc:

Regards
Rick Shepherd

Although we know what we believe, we may only believe what we know. Dr William Moyers
Last Edit: 08 May 2012 23:09 by Western Hill Forge.

Re: Flexor problems 09 May 2012 00:47 #25

• DeniseMc
Rick,
Not argueing the hoof isn't wider at the bottom than the top-(just threw in that last illustration just for the heck of it).
Just curious what others thought about how the foal hoof gets wider as it matures.
Denise

Re: Flexor problems 09 May 2012 10:53 #26

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
DeniseMc wrote:
Rick,
Just curious what others thought about how the foal hoof gets wider as it matures.
Denise
Perhaps in the same manner a child's fingernail gets wider as the child matures?
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

Re: Flexor problems 09 May 2012 11:09 #27

• Christos Axis
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 12
If you connect the ends of this strip or otherwise keep them parallel to eachother, there is of course no way the bottom can be wider than the top line***. But the ends of the strip, the ends of the wall at the heels are not parallel to eachother. They open towards the ground, therefore making it possible for the bottom to be wider.

Whether that occurs in the foal from ground pressure, development of the cartilages and frog or for other reasons I do not know, but it is these ends coming out of parallel that makes the bottom wider.

***There is a way, as in the case of some secerely overgrown and underrun heels where the ends of the wall while still parallel to eachother are crushed under the hoof pusing the heel quarters out in a distorted fashion. But this is distortion, not the normal balanced expansion of the width I think we are discussing here.
Christos Axis
Last Edit: 09 May 2012 12:02 by Christos Axis.

Re: Flexor problems 09 May 2012 20:34 #28

• Jack Evers
  • Master
DeniseMc wrote:
First a foal of that age will grow a new hoof capsule in a few weeks. I can even supply pics of one doing it

Hi Jack,
I'd like to see the photos. I've seen foals that are 9 months old with the "coronary sulcus" at the toe just hitting the ground. (I heard that term used to describe the demarcation that occurs between the newborn's hoof and the subsequent growth once the foal is weightbearing). If the hoof was regrown within a few weeks of birth that demarcation line should be long gone.
Denise

This foal was five days old when it slipped out between a gate and the gatepost. Apparently,one of the horses in the pasture stepped an it and tore off most of the lateral wall on the right hind. I have no pictures of the original wound.

Burney Chapman was still alive at the time so I called him, told him what I planned and asked for advice. He said my plan was sound and that I would be surprised at how fast that foot would grow.

I cut a brass plate to protect the bottom of the foot and wired a leather frog pressure pad to it to take stress off the wall. This before we had the good acrylics so I drilled holes in the plate and the medial wall and wired the plate to the foot. Bandaging then held everything in place. The top two pics show the two week result. Growth well down from the coronary is evident as is damage from the bandaging.

I reset the plate at that time, but at four weeks the moisture collecting under the bandage was causing heel collapse and the skin damage was worse. I had some medial wall to work with and was able to apply a "baby-glu" plastic shoe (those were PITA)and get to about six weeks before it came off. A reset got me to the eight week result in the last picture where the hoof is nearly regrown and a larger "baby-glu" placed to let the crushed heels recover. That was the last shoe used.

Long term, the foal was sound for the two or three years he was under my care before being sold.
Attachments:
Jack Evers CJF AFA#426

The older I get, the more horses I shoe, the fewer things that I can absolutely, positively fix.

Re: Flexor problems 10 May 2012 12:35 #29

• DeniseMc
I'm not understanding you--did the missing chunk of lateral hoofwall fill in to the level of the medial side in those eight weeks or did the entire hoof essentially double in length during that time with you trimming the medial wall while the lateral wall "caught up"?
Denise

Re: Flexor problems 10 May 2012 17:26 #30

• Jack Evers
  • Master
It did not fill in, it grew from hairline nearly to the ground in the eight weeks. The most forward part which had the longest distance was not quite to ground in that last pic.
Jack Evers CJF AFA#426

Kunena Birthday Module

• alicia739 birthday is today
  • KDavisCJF birthday is today
  • Rob Mokri birthday is today
  • teddyholz birthday is today
  • TrucutucA3CF birthday is today
  • arizonacowgirl birthday is in 1 day
  • Ed Gladden birthday is in 1 day
  • khfs birthday is in 1 day
  • NewShoes28 birthday is in 1 day
  • phantomcowgirl birthday is in 1 day
  • DFA Events birthday is in 364 days
  • Greg in Kentucky birthday is in 364 days
  • Greg Thomas birthday is in 364 days
  • ISHUEM NB birthday is in 364 days
  • ShoerChar birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.