make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Thursday May 19, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Forge Welding

Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 11:57 #1

I have made about ten or fifteen forge welded barshoes in my life..... Just about very one I've done I had issue with the welding process. I can functionaly make the shoe, clean it, flux it and bring the shoe up to heat. I get the tell tale "splat" of flux and molten steel on my first whack, but it is all down hill from there. The scarfs pop right back apart, while I am working the lap and/or "frog point". I know I must be doing something wrong, just don't know what it is.
Give me a mig tig or stick welder and I can weld just about anything, when it comes to forge welding I suck. Any help or input would be appreciated by me and I thought it would be a good thread for us "rookies" to refer to, while preparing for certification.
Brian R. Purrington
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.wellshodhorses.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 12:49 #2

• Tom Stovall CJF
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 1
Brian Purrington in gray, deletia

I can functionaly make the shoe, clean it, flux it and bring the shoe up to heat. I get the tell tale "splat" of flux and molten steel on my first whack, but it is all down hill from there. [bf emphasis mine]

If you're hearing a "splat", chances are, you're hitting it much too hard and your hammer blow is forcing the molten metal out of the weld site and the material that should be forming a weld is ending up on the shop floor. Use light blows of your hammer to squeeze the pieces together into a homogeneous unit - you're not trying to beat the shoe into submission.

I know I must be doing something wrong, just don't know what it is.

When you take your shoe out of the fire, don't let it touch the anvil until a nanosecond or so before your first light hammer blow. Your anvil is a heat sink.

Give me a mig tig or stick welder and I can weld just about anything, when it comes to forge welding I suck. Any help or input would be appreciated by me and I thought it would be a good thread for us "rookies" to refer to, while preparing for certification.

Unfortunately, the powers that be are probably going to insist that you leave your trusty TIG or MIG welder at home. You asked me what time it is, so I'm going to give you a one long sentence short course on watch building.

After you've got you masterpiece forged and ready to weld: scarf; brush with a butcher block brush; heat to red; flux; heat until the weld site turns the same color as the refratory in a gasser or the same color as the coke in a coal fire ("sparkles" over the workpiece mean your shoe is burning up and are not a Good Thing); take workpiece to anvil and tap lightly for the first few blows, then forge weld site as required - repeat as needed, there's no disgrace in another heat.

After you get the steps down and practice a little, you'll find welding in the fire is easy and you'll wonder how you ever missed a weld. :)
Tom Stovall, CJF
"The only foolish question is the one left unasked."

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 13:01 #3

Hi Brian,
This may help a little along with Toms advice. If this link doesn't work, go to Forgemasters website and check out their different "tips'
Dave

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 13:02 #4

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 13:04 #5

Tom S....
You are probobly correct in your analysis of my "whack" I tend to get in a bit of a hurry and my nature wants it all to happen at once. I will try to go easier on my "splat". I was also under the impression that one heat is all you should take.
What you are saying is, I can get the bulk of my scarf to take and then go back to the fire and work out the lap joints...? I did this "sort of" on my last shoe and it worked well. I was less than satisfied with the amount of time that it took me, but I guess with practice I'll get "faster" Thanks for your input.
Brian R. Purrington
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.wellshodhorses.com

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 13:28 #6

• George Geist
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 3
Brian,
To add to what Mr Stovall said there is a time to hit hard and a time to be gentle. The hotter your metal is the softer you work it right?

I once saw an old horseshoer demonstrate welding and to give a full understanding to everyone he made a barshoe, brought it up to welding heat then merely clamped it in his tongs when he pulled it out of the fire. It welded. I'm not sure if that can be done in a gas forge or not but in coal it sure will work.

I've also heard stories of the late Jim Linzy doing similar things. Try getting the lightest hammer you have and just gently tapping. Is easier than you think.
George
For another fun place to play........
www.horseshoersforum.invisionzone.com
Come over and say hello.

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 16:44 #7

• smitty88
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 64
Brian,
anybody can come a cropper with welding
i have seen world champions strugle in coke

fires in a demo.
to give yourself every chance of welding
your prep needs to be right
on til then you wil not be consistent

all the light blows or hard blows wont matter
unless you have the right lent over lap

you have married them properly
you have cleaned well before you put flux on

you get an even heat in your bar through

and now you start praying

if you want to post some stages before your weld
maybe the lads can can give help
Smitty88
John Mc Loughlin

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 17:12 #8

hold your tongue just right, rub you right ear lobe and wear your lucky boxers( I'll dress to the right on forge welding days) and you'll be all set! :rolleyes:
Jason
"Always listen to the experts. They tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it." Robert Heinlien
Jason Maki CJF, RJF

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 17:23 #9

• smitty88
  • Guru
Had to make a pair of egg bars the other day Jason
gaS WAS RUNNING OUT WAS I PRAYING
Smitty88
John Mc Loughlin

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 17:28 #10

• brian robertson
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 22
Something I learned from the late Francis Whitaker, a long time ago...

When welding thin cross sections, 3/16",1/4" & 5/16", I use a welding block as opposed to trying to pre heat my anvil. My welding block is 1"x2"x4" with a 1/4"x16" handle welded on. The block is heated while I'm building my shoes. After I have fluxed my scarves, I remove the block from the forge and set it on the anvil. Upon reaching welding heat, pull the shoe from the forge, set it on the hot block and make my weld. I tap it once, then flip it over and tap the other side and then back again. Depending on the gods, I often get the weld in one heat instead of two. Since I very rarely make more than 2 barshoes at a time I'm not sure how many welds you could make in a row before the block cools enough to no longer be of assistance.

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 17:52 #11

I think that Jason has it right. I hold my breath the whole time, that's what works for me. Jake

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 18:21 #12

Based on the amount of time it currently takes for me to forge weld, I think I'd pass out before seeing any results.... Thanks so much for your input guys, I think it will help. My wife helps alot in the shop and I'm sure she'll be happy when she doesn't have to duck behind the bench when my head explodes.... (I've got a good one who will strike for me or just help with tools, even sweeps up a time or two. I'd like to keep her around.) Hey Jason how do ya hold your earlobe and tongs at the same time? :eek:
I'll post some pics of the work later......
Brian R. Purrington
www.wellshodhorses.com

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 18:24 #13

• smitty88
  • Guru
if your only welding now and again you cant exspect it to fall
in place for you

its like turning shoes or clinching right
you need to do it its that simple

even a simple thing like nailing and clinching
we all have standards with our work

keep at it try and do it better dont settle for less
dont give in to it

practice, practice practice
Smitty88
John Mc Loughlin

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 18:27 #14

• BPethick
  • Very Senior Member
Brian Purrington wrote:
I have made about ten or fifteen forge welded barshoes in my life..... Just about very one I've done I had issue with the welding process. I can functionaly make the shoe, clean it, flux it and bring the shoe up to heat. I get the tell tale "splat" of flux and molten steel on my first whack, but it is all down hill from there. The scarfs pop right back apart, while I am working the lap and/or "frog point". I know I must be doing something wrong, just don't know what it is.

Brian,

Bring your tools Monday. The guys are working on Barshoes.
We will have a go with you.

Bob
Bob Pethick CJF AFA #1340

Only those who have the patience to do things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily...

RE:Forge Welding 03 Mar 2007 18:49 #15

• smitty88
  • Guru
Bob thats not fair you dident ask me
Smitty88
John Mc Loughlin

Kunena Birthday Module

• Jan99504 birthday is today
  • milly7i0726 birthday is today
  • spotteddrafter1 birthday is today
  • Grentell farrier service birthday is in 1 day
  • JennieMs3631 birthday is in 364 days
  • jhesse66 birthday is in 364 days
  • Leftys Anvil birthday is in 364 days
  • LucksBFA6 birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.