make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Friday May 27, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: going to school

going to school 26 Dec 2006 05:24 #1

the school I'm going to has a tool list.I was wondering of the tools i'm going to need what tools can be generic.My tack dealer quoted me $675 for all diamond tools.I'm going to need all the tools a farrier should have.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:going to school 26 Dec 2006 05:45 #2

I went through that same scenario when i went to The Kentucky Horseshoeing school. I chose to show up with my own tools rather than what every student has. That particular school actually does a good job at supplying students with efficient tools. I apprenticed a couple years before i went to a school so i had a somewhat grasp of what i liked. Theres nothing wrong with mixing and matching your tools by brands.

Let me know if you need any help or advice on tools. Don't be afraid to call different dealers as well. Alot of places will give you a discount if your a first time customer, or even student prices.

Mike

RE:going to school 26 Dec 2006 05:56 #3

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
hezahottass wrote:
the school I'm going to has a tool list.I was wondering of the tools i'm going to need what tools can be generic.My tack dealer quoted me $675 for all diamond tools.I'm going to need all the tools a farrier should have.
What brand(s) of tools does your school suggest?

I would suggest that you go with GE tools(clinchers, nippers, pulloffs,. They are more expensive than Diamond, but you get what you pay for. I like the Simmonds Black Master Finish Rasp, the Heller Legend Rasp(though it may be a bit too aggressive for someone just starting out) or the Simmonds or Bellota Rasps, The Knife by Anvil Brand. Driving hammers and rounding hammers are a matter of choice. I like the Jim Poor and the James Blurton driving hammers and use a Flatland Forge rounding/shaping hammer. These are expensive, and you should start with something a little less pricey.

I wear the C&M shoeing apron and really like it. Its relatively light weight and easier on my back than wearing half a cow side.

While you are at it, get yourself a pair of steel toed boots to wear. Better yet, get yourself a pair of steel toed, metatarsal protection boots. I wear the Nautilus boots that are available at www.workingperson.com. In addition to a great everyday price, they will give you a 10% discount if your order is Over $50.00 and you put in the coupon code "Horse Sense" at checkout time.

You might also want to check out all the merchandise available through the MarketPlace right here on horseshoes.com.

Have fun at school.

Rick
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:going to school 26 Dec 2006 07:20 #4

• beslagsmed
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 5
There is nothing wrong with Diamond tools. When I started I had mostly Diamond tools. I still use the Diamond pulloffs every day. Kind of depends on how much money you got to spend on tools. Like Rick said - you get what you pay for. My Diamond nippers worked well for a good while for me. Now I use GE nippers, half rounds, clincher. Got Mustad forging hammer, and use Save Edge files. Get some safety shoes like Rick said, also make sure you got safety glasses. You only got two eyes, so take care of them. When I am working around the forge I like to use a glove(leather) on my right hand, as I use my right to pull out of the fire.

Best to check around and get some prices on your own as well. I also know many times schools have deals with tool companies to promote their products and many times they have a student discount in them. You got the internet, do some homework now.

Mikel
Mikel Dawson, RJF

(Denmark)
What part of "NO" don't you understand!!

Caution: Watch for hoof in mouth disease!!!

RE:going to school 26 Dec 2006 13:10 #5

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
When I went to school I bought all of the tools on the tool list from my local farrier supply. They guy made me a really good deal because he wanted my future business. The deal I got was that he sold me all of my startup tools at HIS COST + $50. That included my first anvil. So I bought GE and St. Croix instead of Diamond. To this day, I still purchase my tools from this guy, and he still gives me a better deal that I could find just about anywhere else.

Point is this: Sooner or later you're going to be setup in business and you will want to deal with your local supplyer. Your local supplier want's loyal customers and repeat business. So go there and make yourself a deal. It could be the start of a great business relationship.

Nuther thing. Buy the best tools, especially GE nippers. Even if you have to borrow the money and pay interest on it, the INVESTMENT is always worth it. If later you decide not to be a farrier, you will be able to sell your good tools and recover some of your investment. BUT nobody will be interested in buying your cheap tools - may as well throw them on the s**** pile. You can still get $100 for a set of (sharp) USED GE nippers. But you can't get anything for your $40 Diamond nippers. May as well spend the extra $40 on GE. It's good business math.:)
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:going to school 26 Dec 2006 17:48 #6

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
Welcome to the boards.
When I came up, A fellow told me that I was going to have to buy the best tools. It was only a question of wether I would waist money on cheap ones first. Avoid MFC tools and any with prices too good to be true.
What's your name, what school are you going to and when? Try to get some time with a Farrier and read your text books before you get there.
Have a ball,
Bill

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:going to school 27 Dec 2006 02:49 #7

• Bo Terry
I recommend spending less on things like rounding hammers, tongs, etc... because you won't know how to really use them anyway for a couple of years ( the Diamond 36oz rounding hammer is a good start.) Once you learn to forge correctly, then you should spend the money on these things. I use Jim Keith tongs(they are REALLY sturdy) and a 2lb Justin rounding hammer. Regarding nippers, clinchers, driving hammers, etc...don't waste money on cheap stuff, I made this mistake. Spend the extra dollars up front (G.E.) I like Sta-Sharp long handled knives and Hall loop knives.

Good Luck!

Bo

RE:going to school 27 Dec 2006 03:16 #8

• e decker
I would not recomend getting the G.E. nippers at first. You dont want to accidently misuse and break an expensive tool like that. Even if you are really careful, in school, someone is always borrowing stuff "for a sec" (even without permission) and may nip into a hidden nail and break them... $160, gone.

Another reason to go for the generic, every class has a thief. Let me repeat, EVERY CLASS HAS A THIEF. My spouse sees this every day. If you do want the G.E.'s leave 'em home and rasp. It is a bad idea to take them to school.

The Mustad nippers are nice and you can forgo buying nail nippers, use your pulloffs at school. When get done, go and buy the G.E.'s and have your mustad's converted to nail nippers.

That's my advice

e decker
E Decker CF

RE:going to school 27 Dec 2006 03:57 #9

• calshoer
  • Guru
Our college sells a farrier kit for the students through the bookstore. it was already set up last year, a pretty nice kit but the students struggled with the hammers and 15" nippers so I made changes for this year. I find that the bigger nippers and driving hammers are just harder for them to use so I changed them.And the claws on the hammers we had last year were so badly built that they didnt wring OR bend nails very well. It was actually kind of dangerous.
This year this is what they can get for about $760. The nice thing about them getting it at the school is the college has student financing programs.

Wooden farrier box.
nice Cordura/ leather apron
two heller rasps
two handles
The knife' hoof knife
GE 14" nippers (changed from Mustad 15" nippers last year)
Mustad pull offs
diamond clinch block
diamond pritchell (that they will modify some in class)
calgary 12 oz driving hammer (last year they were Mustads, which totally sucked)
Diamond rounding hammer
mustad clinchers

If you have to have all your forging tools as well add a pair of tongs set up for 5/16" stock, and a ball pein or cross pein for making clips and ask if you will be making your own forepunches and pritchells, if not you'll have to buy those too. The thing about those is you must make them to match the nail head types, so you might as well learn to make them or at last be prepared to learn how to modify them a littleunless you buy several. Most schools have a supply of forging tools those however.
Patty Stiller CNBF,CLS
www.hoofcareonline.com

RE:going to school 29 Dec 2006 04:00 #10

• redd2001
Hey Mike,
What are the pros and cons with Ky Horse school?
It is a few hours from where I live. It looks on their website that is a pretty good school. I have been with my mentor for about three years with the calendar, but actual time is probably a year and half i work wioth him 2-3 days a week . Planning on leaving my main job and heading for schooll this next winter. I wish I could get a 16 week leave from my job to attend school, but I don't think they would like that to much!
Redd

RE:going to school 29 Dec 2006 04:37 #11

Here's my two cents:

I have some MFC tools and frankly, they stink. The school I went to owned that tool company and that was what they sold us. My nippers broke mid-nip one day and I had had them about six months. The little shoeing box on wheels is a really nice idea and I like it, but it would work better if I was shoeing kittens. It seems like any time that thing gets too close to a horse, another piece of it breaks. So far, none of the rest of the tools have broke. *fingers crossed*

And just a side note, tools do walk away in school. I think it would be a fantastic idea to buy some tools that are NOT the same as everyone else's (in other words, not the ones the sell at that school). And don't just put a piece of tape with your name on them, tape is removable. Some guys ground their initials into their tools, I painted mine with hot pink fingernail polish. I figured none of the guys would have polish remover. :) Just a word to the wise; be careful and try not to borrow things to people, even "just for a second".

If you can try other people's toys before you buy them, that is always nice too. I tried out a friends loop knife because I thought it looked so great, and I am glad I didn't waste the $40 on it. I also bought a hammer from a guy who didn't like it, and it is my all time favorite hammer for hand-making and shaping shoes.

And buy good tools, they are worth it in the long run.

And... just kidding, no more "and then".
Julie Mills
Complete Equine Farrier Services

Phillipians 4:13

RE:going to school 29 Dec 2006 05:26 #12

Redd in green

Hey Mike,
What are the pros and cons with Ky Horse school?

Pros:

Firstly they offer student loans for prospective students. I personally didn't use a loan but 2 in my class did. Its a good opportunity for people in your situation. I used my g.i. bill benefits which was $1075/mo.

Secondly in my opinion it has an excellent format. Depending on your experience you'll spend the first 6-8 weeks just trimming horses. Most of the horses are located at UK, and the horses are well mannered and allow students to work on their trim only. During the first 6-8 weeks you'll be doing forging excercises at night to include making punches, front and hind patterns, and welding to name a few. You'll have lectures and a test every friday as well. Another thing i like is the use and opportunity of cadaver legs. There is a freezer of 500 cadaver legs available to students to use for: trimming, eagle eyes, and dissections. I dissected quite a few legs while i was their which helped me with anatomy etc. The final 8 weeks you'll be shoeing live horses. At night you'll get a demonstration on a particular shoe, followed by work due in the morning. At this time you'll be working on your shoe board- which is the same requirement for AFA Cf.

Finally you'll get good in the forge. Everybody's different and it depends on your personal motivation, but you'll be around an aura of good blacksmiths. The instructors are always there working or getting ready for competitions. My particular class was small ( 6 people ) and three of us stayed up until 1 in the morning almost every night- a friendly competition.

Cons:

Firstly it depends what time of year you go. I suggest going in the summer when theres a smaller class. Most people go in the winter which makes for a larger class.

Secondly people have the misconception they'll be ready to make a living after school. I think it gets you on the right track, but be prepared to apprentice for awhile afterward as well. Like i said before people go to shoeing school with different skill levels. It does however give you an opportunity to work on your weaknesses.

Lastly be prepared to spend alot of money. Take into account the money spent on food, fuel, bills, and tools.

In conlusion this is just my opinion of the school. It happened to be a good fit for me. I got along well with Mitch, and the other instructors at the school. I found it was run professionally with a mission to accomplish. I found that my goals were accomplished as well.

Mike

...Also a good friend of mine is an instructor at the school. Let me know if you'd like his number to talk to him about the school. He lived in Va., so maybe he can help you out somehow as well.

RE:going to school 31 Dec 2006 01:32 #13

• e decker
Dear Redd,
I agree with Mike, it is one of the best schools in the country. It is professionly run, well organized, and very well staffed. The emphasis in being prepared for the CF is great too. Most students have passed at least some portion of the exam prior to leaving, although the ones that pass the practical have prior experience (like you say you have).

You really should look into at least the 16 week program, if not the 22 that I would recomend.

Good luck,
e decker CF
E Decker CF

Kunena Birthday Module

• Rude_n_Ugly birthday is today
  • Russ in WI birthday is today
  • Tcasey1968 birthday is today
  • JWHORSESHOEING birthday is in 1 day
  • TheCircleT birthday is in 1 day
  • THOROBREDS birthday is in 1 day
  • Chris Daniel birthday is in 2 days
  • FordWayFarm birthday is in 2 days
  • Hillbilly898 birthday is in 2 days
  • songlyrics32F075 birthday is in 364 days
  • SonnysMom birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.