make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Friday May 20, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Winter traction for horses with "issues" :)

Winter traction for horses with "issues" :) 29 Oct 2006 01:08 #1

• NHFarrier
I have a few horses with aluminum shoes and wedges or pads and I.M., and some with navicular or founder. Any suggestions for providing winter shoes for the lame horses?

Amy
Unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Winter traction for horses with "issues" :) 29 Oct 2006 01:50 #2

• George Geist
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 3
Guess the best thing for the aluminums would be to drill and tap them for sharp screw in studs.

The other shoes if steel use customary traction increasing devices.

By the way, why are lame horses being put to work anyway?

George
For another fun place to play........
www.horseshoersforum.invisionzone.com
Come over and say hello.

RE:Winter traction for horses with "issues" :) 29 Oct 2006 02:18 #3

• NHFarrier
The two I am concerned about the most are not lame the way they are being shod now. One is in aluminums with a 1 degree wedge, leather pads and impression material. She was not sound without these shoes even for the little riding she does. The owner wants to keep the shoes on for the winter because we've had success with them. The second horse is one I picked up because he has low ringbone and the other farrier couldn't get him pasture sound. It's funny, because by just bringing the heel and toe back and putting a 1 degree wedge on him, he has been sound for riding. Of course it doesn't help that the previous farrier had him looking like a show saddlebred! We get a pretty nasty winter here with lots of ice, so many horses that will get ridden only a little, are going to need shoes. I just wasn't sure how to get the traction on there without causing more problems.

Amy
Unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes.

RE:Winter traction for horses with "issues" :) 29 Oct 2006 04:42 #4

• SlowShoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
If you are worried about too much traction I'd consult Ray about his drive in pins, they will give minimal traction but work well. Mustad p13 drive in studs set deep should be fine. (p13's are the small ones right?) Set in just the heels.

As far as the pad package, if you want to keep IM in there just use the same protocol with bubble snow pads. Or equipak with snow rim pads.

-Josh

RE:Winter traction for horses with "issues" :) 29 Oct 2006 13:42 #5

• Dave Whitaker
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Amy,

I have had good luck with the drive in studs in my aluminum shoes, (can't remember ever losing one). I have also found that the NB frog support pad works as a great anti-snowballing pad and allows you to keep your caudal heel support in place throughout the bad weather. I do try to get by with the minimum amount of studding that I can on these horses, 'cause the extra traction is a double edged sword, as you probably are already aware of. I think it adds additional torque to an already comprimised situation.

I have done well with a aluminum rim shoe, (like the StCroix eventer), with small studs only in the heel. I think these shoes have a little more grip on their own. Dave

"Everything is for sale......some are just harder to buy than others......"

RE:Winter traction for horses with "issues" :) 29 Oct 2006 13:52 #6

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
You can also use the Duratec nails and, if you are concerned about keeping the angles up, there is a wedged anti-snowball pad on the market.
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:Winter traction for horses with "issues" :) 29 Oct 2006 14:04 #7

• Dave Whitaker
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Rick Burten: You can also use the Duratec nails and, if you are concerned about keeping the angles up, there is a wedged anti-snowball pad on the market

Yep.. and DON'T use your good driving hammer..... don't ask me how I know :) Dave

"Everything is for sale......some are just harder to buy than others......"

RE:Winter traction for horses with "issues" :) 29 Oct 2006 18:58 #8

• SlowShoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
I missed the part about the wedge. =]

RE:Winter traction for horses with "issues" :) 29 Oct 2006 20:48 #9

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
SlowShoe wrote:
If you are worried about too much traction I'd consult Ray about his drive in pins, they will give minimal traction but work well. Mustad p13 drive in studs set deep should be fine. (p13's are the small ones right?) Set in just the heels.

As far as the pad package, if you want to keep IM in there just use the same protocol with bubble snow pads. Or equipak with snow rim pads.

-Josh
I'll second the recommendation on Ray Steel's drive in carbide pins. Good, Fast, Cheap - sometimes you get all three.
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:Winter traction for horses with "issues" :) 30 Oct 2006 13:32 #10

• ray steele
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Amy,

Some thoughts for your consideration about shoeing these horses,

1st as Rick pointed out anti sno ball pads exist in flat and degree/wedge versions in both the bobble and rim variety also as I'm sure you are aware wedged al. and fe shoes are on the market so keeping the angles should not be a problem.

2nd the traction issue I feel requires the horseowners participation, I say this because you and I know the old saying,"If you don't like the weather in New England ,wait a minute"! This raises the question ,how much traction,since at noon the horse may be in mud but at 7 am it may have been on frozen ,rock hard mud, or glare ice,soft snow,etc.

Too little or no traction can be as big a problem as too much. Because there are so many variables I like to set an animal up with minimal grip by the use of a P13 , D13 or a carbide pin and then drill and tap at the heels so that the owner can provide what/ if necessary added traction the day or terrian calls for. I find that the pins allow more room for drill and tapped holes since holes can be as small as 1/8" as opposed to the holes required for a drive stud of 1/4 to 17/64" hole. Pins also allow me to insert carbide into the outer or inner rims of a rim shoe again providing minimal traction . remember we are speaking of animals that already have soundness issues.

Regards

Ray Steele

RE:Winter traction for horses with "issues" :) 31 Oct 2006 02:12 #11

• calshoer
  • Guru
Concerning the wedge, if your farrier cannot find wedge snowball pads, he/she can do this....if the wedge pad is one without a frog support, you can sandwich a snowball pad on the bottom, between the wedge pad and the shoe. It will thicken the package just a little bit ,but not much. Patty
Patty Stiller CNBF,CLS
www.hoofcareonline.com

RE:Winter traction for horses with "issues" :) 31 Oct 2006 12:07 #12

Amy,

Believe it or not, the Castle (wedged) frog support pads do an equally good job of keeping snow***** out of the feet as the "bubble" type pads.

I have had some trouble in years past with thin soled horses where the perimeter of the "bubble" applies pressure, bruises and potentially lames a horse.

If you still feel you need more anti-snowball help, try cutting a rim snow pad to seat around the inside of the toe area affixed between the frog support pad and the shoe. Watch for mud build up under pads later in the winter season.

You can use drive in studs easily enough in aluminum. Just remember to make sure the stud size is appropriate for the size horse (P13's for size 2 shoes and under, P11's for size 3-5, and Ice 4's for Draft horses).

(I am not missing having to put winter shoes on this year AT ALL!)

Dianne

Kunena Birthday Module

• filmbak62F7 birthday is today
  • Grentell farrier service birthday is today
  • ALL HOOF FARRIER SERVICES birthday is in 1 day
  • JOHNNDERIDD birthday is in 1 day
  • Jan99504 birthday is in 364 days
  • milly7i0726 birthday is in 364 days
  • spotteddrafter1 birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.