make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Friday May 20, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Driving hammers

Driving hammers 23 Mar 2006 15:06 #1

• Myr_4089
I'm pretty new to the profession, I have learned on polo ponies and light performance horses. I am in the process of bying my own tools and was looking for a little advice. I have narrowed my search down to a blurton, NC, or a Jim Poor. Also, have considered a horsehead. I have to mail order and can not try them out before I purchase. Can anyone send me in the right direction.

Also, same question for rounding hammers (I will be cold shoeing)...

Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Driving hammers 23 Mar 2006 15:25 #2

• Donald Ruff
Myr_4089(weird name),

If price is your concern NC is a good driver for the money, if price is not a concern then i would lean toward the Blurton or the Poor. I have used all 3 of them and i personnally like the Poor. That of course is my opinion.

Rounding hammers again if price is a concern Cliff Carroll's Maude 2lb. rounding hammer is a nice hammer for around 55.00$. The only down fall with Cliff'srounding hammers is that the faces are rather soft steel. However if you want the best go with Poor's rounding hammers hands down the best you can get. Again just my opinion.

Don
Knowledge is Patience and Patience is Knowledge
Slow is Fast and Fast is Slow

RE:Driving hammers 23 Mar 2006 17:02 #3

• T.L. Buck
I am in total agreement with Mr. Ruff. Jim Poor hammers are the best in my opinion. They will give you a lifetime of use. If price is a factor try NC or Mustad. They are very basic and fit the bill. I have used them both.
~ Buck
~ Buck - Farrier

Main Entry: 1ex·pert .. Pronunciation: 'ek-"sp&rt, ik-'
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin expertus, from past participle of experiri
1: eX ... is an unknown factor.
2:...

RE:Driving hammers 23 Mar 2006 17:58 #4

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
I agree with the others. My first choice is a Tom Hall hammer. Since they are no longer made I retired mine to a place of honored reverence and currently use a Blurton with a Poor as backup. I use the 10 oz. hammers and like either one almost as much as I do my Tom Hall.

For a rounding hammer, I don't know how you can do better than a 1.5 lb or 1.75 Flatland Forge hammer. Some might argue that they, like the driving hammers mentioned above, are on the pricey side. Considering how much we use these hammers, I find that opinion to be a bit short-sighted.

All that aside, you should consider making a road trip to you local supply house (preferably one that stocks these hammers) and get some 'hands-on' feeling for the tools. Or, find another farrier close to where you live who uses one or all of these tools and see if s/he'll let you come over and get a feel for the tools.

Nothing worse than spending big bucks and then finding out that you bought the wrong tool.
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:Driving hammers 24 Mar 2006 03:00 #5

• J.H. shoeing
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
If you buy the Flatland Forge (Jim Poor) hammers and don't like them I will buy them from you.
Jeff Holder

Some people are like Slinky’s, pretty much useless but make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

RE:Driving hammers 24 Mar 2006 05:19 #6

I agree with everyone else. For driving hammers i use the 14 oz flatland forge and i use a 9 oz tom hall every once in awhile. For shaping hammers you can't beat jim poor's hammers. As far as keeping everything affordable you might want to look into a mustad driving hammer and a chip hunt shaping hammer. If you go the cheaper route you can modify the handles to where you like it and burn the handles.
Mike White

RE:Driving hammers 24 Mar 2006 14:05 #7

I'll have to go w/ the horsehead. I have a NC and its a great hammer for the money. I use it secondary and use my horsehead always. I even put it in the truck seat to keep in warm.......lol

After using a friends I purchased one last year and what I have fell in love w/ is the serrated face. I don't have the issues of the hammer head slipping off the nail and catching a finger when a foot is jerked.

Good Luck
Chris Clark

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle."

RE:Driving hammers 24 Mar 2006 18:34 #8

• hoofnhound
I really like my 10oz Blurton....ah but then I haven't tried a Jim Poor!

RE:Driving hammers 24 Mar 2006 18:53 #9

• Myr_4089
Thanks for the help... ok, the jim poor seems to have quite a strong following, and the horsehead looks very similar. I'm not sure about the blurton's nail in the side attachment to the handle, I've been told to be weary of hammers like this. Between these two what should I know. The horsehead is burned once mounted the handle and it has a serrated face... is there an advantage to this?

Is the jim poor roundign hammer really worth the 160 price tag?

Thanks for everyones input.

RE:Driving hammers 25 Mar 2006 01:04 #10

Jim Poors hammers are worth every last penny.

RE:Driving hammers 28 Mar 2006 05:08 #11

quick question....does a checkerboard face make a difference on the hammers? I have a blurton and it is a flat faced driver. Also why did who ever told you to stay away from nails in the side of hammers, say that?
Chad Cordes

RE:Driving hammers 28 Mar 2006 12:49 #12

• T.L. Buck
Oakstaff wrote:
quick question....does a checkerboard face make a difference on the hammers? I have a blurton and it is a flat faced driver. Also why did who ever told you to stay away from nails in the side of hammers, say that?
Yes it does. You have less of a chance of the head slipping off the nail and I believe they drive straighter.
~ Buck - Farrier

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin expertus, from past participle of experiri

RE:Driving hammers 28 Mar 2006 12:53 #13

• Jaye Perry
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 1
T.L. Buck wrote:
Yes it does. You have less of a change of the head slipping off the nail and I believe they drive straighter.
The checker tatoo is a great conversation piece over a beer or Jameson's when comparing thumb incidents!!!:cool:

RE:Driving hammers 28 Mar 2006 13:06 #14

• T.L. Buck
Jaye Perry wrote:
The checker tatoo is a great conversation piece over a beer or Jameson's when comparing thumb incidents!!!:cool:
Oh how true! :D
~ Buck - Farrier

RE:Driving hammers 28 Mar 2006 17:58 #15

• Myr_4089
I was told to avoid hammers with a side nail to secure the head because, this farriers opinion, that they are more prone to loosen and fall off. She said that the nail will loosen easier and fall out, leaving the head to loosen. Just her opinion, she did recommend a jim poor hammer, and i think that is what i'll go with. Still thinking about a horsehead though... but I learned with a non-serrated face so I think my first hammer should not have it. An experiment to do down the orad when I have soem excess money :D .
  • Page:

Kunena Birthday Module

• filmbak62F7 birthday is today
  • Grentell farrier service birthday is today
  • ALL HOOF FARRIER SERVICES birthday is in 1 day
  • JOHNNDERIDD birthday is in 1 day
  • Jan99504 birthday is in 364 days
  • milly7i0726 birthday is in 364 days
  • spotteddrafter1 birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.