make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Friday May 27, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Propane Forge Design

Propane Forge Design 17 Mar 2006 14:10 #1

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
This is a drawing of a propane forge I am designing. I'm looking for feedback on the concept. The opening on each side is 10" x 2-1/2" with a single burner in the center. The burner has an adjustable choke to allow control of the lean/rich flame mixture.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Propane Forge Design 17 Mar 2006 17:57 #2

• jseyffer
As background, I use a Whisper Momma in the truck (front vent) and a Whisper Lowboy (two end vents) in the shop (and when I used to play at contesting). I love them both. Your design looks ok but I would have questions regarding the lack of doors. The doors seem to give me a faster and better heat (the whisper momma used to be a Whisper Delux with the flap door) and keeps the heat contained. What are your design considerations for this area?

I like the convenience of the corner opening (at least on paper). Are you planning one one of the more efficient burner designs to help with gaining a welding heat in an open forge?
Jack Seyffer

RE:Propane Forge Design 17 Mar 2006 18:17 #3

Ok, let me do it. Who the ***** needs a truck forge that allows welding?

I can beat anyone with my little arc welder. Faster, cheaper, better.

Ronald Aalders

RE:Propane Forge Design 17 Mar 2006 18:44 #4

• cowboy_bc
  • Master
Ronald Aalders wrote:

Ronald Aalders

Hi all,

I think about this subject lots and Ron you are right and you know a forge for heating shoes and for drawing clips that would work great could be made out of a $20 tiger torch and and a chunk of 8" asbestos or ceramic sewer pipe.

Looking at Toms forge design I would say that you wouldn't be able to weld and you will have a steady blast of flame out of the front.

I'm contimplating building a new killer 2 burner forge and I'm thinking the burners need to be moved forward of center and tipped backward slight so I get less blast from the door. My current forge has a provision to adjust burner depth for changeing gas pressure caused by frosting. I'm also thinking of a way to point both burners to the same spot thinking this will make welding quicker better. I'm also convinced that a forge needs doors front and back.

Kevin
Kevin Joseph Wheeler

Always strive to be the person your dog thinks you are.

if i was smart enought to spell properly I probably wouldnt be shoeing friggen horses for a living ay. Red Amor

If it don’t seem like it’s worth the effort it probably...

RE:Propane Forge Design 17 Mar 2006 19:13 #5

• tbloomer
  • Master
jseyffer wrote:
As background, I use a Whisper Momma in the truck (front vent) and a Whisper Lowboy (two end vents) in the shop (and when I used to play at contesting). I love them both. Your design looks ok but I would have questions regarding the lack of doors. The doors seem to give me a faster and better heat (the whisper momma used to be a Whisper Delux with the flap door) and keeps the heat contained. What are your design considerations for this area?

I like the convenience of the corner opening (at least on paper). Are you planning one one of the more efficient burner designs to help with gaining a welding heat in an open forge?

The burner I am using is a true tapered venturi burner, not just a straight pipe with a flange and an orifice at the end. The BTU output capability of one of these burners exceeds the 3 burner NC . . . assuming I would use the largest gas orifice that will still achieve a neutral flame. A tapered venturi can use a lot larger gas orifice than a straight tupe without problems with back pressure. The burner I am using will run a #56 orifice from 0.5-PSI up to 60-PSI without "huffing."

The reason that a door makes a hotter forge is because there is additional surface area to reflect IR and UV heat back into the chamber. It isn't about heat containment so much as surface reflectivity. The inside dimensions of my forge design provide large reflective surfaces above, below, and on the back sides of the center burner "hot spot."

I don't believe reaching welding heat is going to be an issue in this design. Keeping the top to bottom distance inside the forge close enough so that the primary flame (the blue bulge) from the burner is touching the floor is one of the considerations of this design. In the taller forges like the NC Whisper Daddy, the primary flame from the burner is already expended long before it reaches the chamber floor. Any time you have a forge that is taller than 3", you will have this problem. You can weld in a taller forge, but you have to depend on the entire inside of the forge reaching welding temperature (bright yellow) - it takes a long time and a lot of gass.

In a forge with a lower ceiling, the primary flame strikes the bottom of the forge and bounces off - which increases the surface area of the primary flame. Once the combustion chamber surfaces reach IR UV temperatures, they reflect that heat back into the flame - in this case the primary flame which is now bouncing off the bottom and reflecting back toward the top. Bottom line, it makes a hotter hot spot. :)
Tom Bloomer
302-222-6404

RE:Propane Forge Design 17 Mar 2006 19:18 #6

• cowboy_bc
  • Master
Hi all,

Budget forge.
Attachments:
Kevin Joseph Wheeler

Always strive to be the person your dog thinks you are.

if i was smart enought to spell properly I probably wouldnt be shoeing friggen horses for a living ay. Red Amor

If it don’t seem like it’s worth the effort it probably...

RE:Propane Forge Design 17 Mar 2006 19:51 #7

• jseyffer
My little wire feed welder in the truck does a lousy job on aluminum and the welding store says the little mig welders also do a mediocre job on aluminum.
Jack Seyffer

RE:Propane Forge Design 17 Mar 2006 20:59 #8

• Hoofangler
Tom,
That being the case (depth of box), would the welding brick used to protect the bottom liner of, say, an NC forge, help to increase the interior temperature of the chamber? And, would using flip up doors on the end ports also increase temperature or do I have to worry about air flow? Or, to put it another way, would covering the end ports "choke off' the fire.
Thanks,
Mike

RE:Propane Forge Design 18 Mar 2006 00:45 #9

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 1
jseyffer wrote:
My little wire feed welder in the truck does a lousy job on aluminum and the welding store says the little mig welders also do a mediocre job on aluminum.
A tig welder is the best way to weld aluminum.

Gary
Gary Miller, PF

Ride hard, shoot straight, and always speak the truth.
Gunfighter Motto

"Our level of quality is how well our eye can see it." (Eric Russell, Oct 2008, Horseshoes.com)

"Discover what it is that makes you passionate then grab a firm...

RE:Propane Forge Design 18 Mar 2006 10:10 #10

• tbloomer
  • Master
Hoofangler wrote:
Tom,
That being the case (depth of box), would the welding brick used to protect the bottom liner of, say, an NC forge, help to increase the interior temperature of the chamber? And, would using flip up doors on the end ports also increase temperature or do I have to worry about air flow? Or, to put it another way, would covering the end ports "choke off' the fire.
Thanks,
Mike

No. No, you have to allow the hot gasses to escape from the chamber. The air is drawn into the chamber by the gas stream being injected through through the burner tube. Once the gas is burning it expands and any backpressure will force the expanding gas back out of the burner tube.
Tom Bloomer
302-222-6404

RE:Propane Forge Design 18 Mar 2006 10:20 #11

• tbloomer
  • Master
Ronald Aalders wrote:

Ronald Aalders
Since I got a Henrob 2000 torch I can weld aluminum, steel, cast iron, stainless steel, and cut steel and aluminum . . .

Welding in a gas forge is the best way to mess up a good forge liner.
Tom Bloomer
302-222-6404

RE:Propane Forge Design 18 Mar 2006 11:01 #12

• tbloomer
  • Master
cowboy_bc wrote:
Hi all,

I think about this subject lots and Ron you are right and you know a forge for heating shoes and for drawing clips that would work great could be made out of a $20 tiger torch and and a chunk of 8" asbestos or ceramic sewer pipe.

While you're thinking, go read:

Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces & Kilns by Michael Porter
ISBN: 1879535203 ~ paperback ~ 216 pages
111 illustrations by the author
Looking at Toms forge design I would say that you wouldn't be able to weld and you will have a steady blast of flame out of the front.

The burner can weld in open air if you push enough gas through it.
I'm contimplating building a new killer 2 burner forge and I'm thinking the burners need to be moved forward of center and tipped backward slight so I get less blast from the door.

This will be my fourth forge. I've already been there and done that. No matter where you point the burners, the hot gas is going to come out of the door eventually . . . and since heat rises, and since your burner intakes will wind up directly over top of the door, then your burners will be sucking the hot gasses into the intake. With a straight tube burner, you are already severely limited by any kind of backpressure. The gas jet stream is what is suplying the force which draws air into the burner tube. The force is a very weak vacuum.

So if you're gonna do that design (that was my first forge) you need to plumb your burner intakes away from the door. Every time you put an elbow or a bend in the tube, you are restricting the gas flow through the tube. If you really want to use that kind of design, the best way to do it is to use an electric blower to feed air into the tube with the gas.
My current forge has a provision to adjust burner depth for changeing gas pressure caused by frosting.

You can eliminate the frosting by using a larger propane tank. That book also explains this issue and how to deal with it.
I'm also thinking of a way to point both burners to the same spot thinking this will make welding quicker better. I'm also convinced that a forge needs doors front and back.

Kevin

The taller the opening the more benefit you will get from having doors. The welding potential is determined by how many BTUs per cubic inch you can put into the chamber - 500BTUs per cubic inch is a good minimum rule of thumb if you want to weld. The number of burners you point at the hot spot is not as important as how much gas you can mix with the apropriate volume of air and direct toward the hot spot.

More reading . . .
http://ronreil.abana.org/SiteMap.html
Tom Bloomer
302-222-6404

Kunena Birthday Module

• Rude_n_Ugly birthday is today
  • Russ in WI birthday is today
  • Tcasey1968 birthday is today
  • JWHORSESHOEING birthday is in 1 day
  • TheCircleT birthday is in 1 day
  • THOROBREDS birthday is in 1 day
  • Chris Daniel birthday is in 2 days
  • FordWayFarm birthday is in 2 days
  • Hillbilly898 birthday is in 2 days
  • songlyrics32F075 birthday is in 364 days
  • SonnysMom birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.