make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Sunday January 23, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ?

What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 17 Nov 2011 12:40 #1

Hello all,
I saw a video of horsehoeing a racehorse and I noticed you in the US cut the nails with the hammer. At least those of you working at racetracks ;)
In France we don't do that, we always use a nail nipper. I tried to do like you with my Mustad nailing on hammer but it's quite impossible, the hammer don't cut the nail most of the time it just twist it;
So what kind (brand) of hammer do you use, is it specifics one ?
Eric Verdier
Certified racehorses farrier
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 17 Nov 2011 12:47 #2

• Jack Evers
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 45
Most hammers should do it. The trick is to be as close as possible to the hoof wall. The back of the claws should be parallel to the wall and right against the wall. If there's a gap, the nail will just twist. It might be necessary to use a small thin file in the back of the claws, but every hammer I've owned will twist a nail off. Many here also use nippers, but I've been twisting them off for over 50 years, then if the nail is a bit long, I shorten it with the file side of the rasp when I pull the foot forward.
Jack Evers CJF AFA#426

The best things about the good old days -- I wasn't good and I wasn't old.

The older I get, the more horses I shoe, the fewer things that I can absolutely, positively fix.

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 17 Nov 2011 16:13 #3

• SlowShoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
not all american farriers twist off nails. I had trouble with a mustad twisting off nails. I dont twist them off any more at all.

So do all farriers in France use toeing knives? ;)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 17 Nov 2011 19:46 #4

Thanks for your answers !

Yes all farriers in France use toeing knives. i wonder how we could cut the toe without this tool but we use hoof nippers, loop knives and rasps aswell :D
One tool you'll never see in France is clinch blocks as we use clenching tongs.

The most reputated brand for most of shoeing tools is GE, you can be proud USA make great tools !
Eric Verdier

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 17 Nov 2011 20:30 #5

• Jack Evers
  • Master
On a visit in 2007, I watched a French farrier trim with nippers but then smooth it with a toeing knife. Is this common?
Jack Evers CJF AFA#426

The older I get, the more horses I shoe, the fewer things that I can absolutely, positively fix.

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 17 Nov 2011 20:33 #6

• Jack Evers
  • Master
One tool you'll never see in France is clinch blocks as we use clenching tongs.

I use a clench block before using the clenchers, as do all the farriers that I've watched. Might be different with the small race nails. I haven't been around platers.
Jack Evers CJF AFA#426

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 17 Nov 2011 21:12 #7

As my technical english is far to be good could you tell me the names of the tools shown below. Before to answer I prefer to be sure that i use the correct words.

1)
2)
3)
4)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Eric Verdier

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 17 Nov 2011 21:38 #8

• garyevans
  • Contributing Member
French farrier wrote:
As my technical english is far to be good could you tell me the names of the tools shown below. Before to answer I prefer to be sure that i use the correct words.

1)
2)
3)
4)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1. toeing knife 2. hoof (paring) knife 3. clenching tongs 4. hoof nippers

You can fold over the ends of the nails and then cut them off when you bring the foot forward to clench up, but having had my finger stabbed fish-hook fashion by a folded over nail, I prefer to wring (twist) them off with the hammer. Most hammers will do this, it is just a matter of technique.
The clench block just starts the clenching process (I prefer to use the end of my nail cutters) and the final clenching up is usually done with clenching tongs (but can be done with a hammer).

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 17 Nov 2011 21:41 #9

• Clint Burrell
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 7
Jack Evers wrote:
Might be different with the small race nails. I haven't been around platers.

Face of the pulloffs if needed.(usually pony horses) Pulloffs also doubled as nail nippers for finishing. I never wrung my nails w/ race horses(still don't), sometimes it was all one could do to get it turned over.
Clint Burrell

"You say your from collage,
but you don't seem to bright.
You just brought a swichblade
to a pistol fight"
Move On by Chris Knight

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 17 Nov 2011 22:37 #10

• SlowShoe
  • Master
I have a mustad toeing knife, and try to use it on one hoof a day but really can never get it to work well for me. Its most likely my technique, but the tool could be poorly made or poorly setup as well.

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 17 Nov 2011 22:44 #11

• smitty88
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 64
Had the pleasure of knowing A. Kenworthy in my App days

he did not need a snips, knife, or rasp he was that good with

a toeing knife a joy to watch him
Smitty88
John Mc Loughlin

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 18 Nov 2011 02:56 #12

• SlowShoe
  • Master
smitty88 wrote:
Had the pleasure of knowing A. Kenworthy in my App days

he did not need a snips, knife, or rasp he was that good with

a toeing knife a joy to watch him

Thats great, I'd love to see someone work with one in person. I am willing to bet there is no one within 1000 miles from me that uses one everyday.

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 18 Nov 2011 13:16 #13

Jack Evers wrote:
On a visit in 2007, I watched a French farrier trim with nippers but then smooth it with a toeing knife. Is this common?
No, that way is not common.
Usually we start cleaning the sole with the foot (paring) knife, then we cut the frog with the toeing knife, then we trim the wall with the hoof nipper and we level with the rasp.
Eric Verdier

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 18 Nov 2011 14:50 #14

• George Geist
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 3
I use a Bellotta. Is an exact copy of the old Thoro'bred driving hammers that aren't made anymore.

Are still a few track guys around who make their own hammers. John Calcinore of Pennsylvania offers a real nice one for sale.

All of the driving hammers except for the biggest heaviest ones should easily wring off nail points unless their just wore out.
George
For another fun place to play........
www.horseshoersforum.invisionzone.com
Come over and say hello.

RE:What kind of hammer do you use to cut the nails ? 18 Nov 2011 20:45 #15

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
George Geist wrote:
I use a Bellotta. Is an exact copy of the old Thoro'bred driving hammers that aren't made anymore.

Are still a few track guys around who make their own hammers. John Calcinore of Pennsylvania offers a real nice one for sale.

All of the driving hammers except for the biggest heaviest ones should easily wring off nail points unless their just wore out.
George

How does one wear out nail points anyway? :confused:
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

Kunena Birthday Module

• brianriggs birthday is today
  • canditemby birthday is today
  • cwlindauer birthday is today
  • LilBitOfHeaven birthday is today
  • lonestar birthday is today
  • vincentfarley52 birthday is today
  • alminc11 birthday is in 1 day
  • DABELL24 birthday is in 1 day
  • skelemen birthday is in 1 day
  • hoofdoc28 birthday is in 364 days
  • paulblog556715DE birthday is in 364 days
  • paulc7765BA9B birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.