make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Sunday January 23, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting a new forge. What else should I get?

Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 00:44 #1

• Travis Morgan
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 6
So, I'll finally be getting a new gas forge when I get back from this road trip, hopefully. I've got a pretty good selection of hammers. What else do you guys suggest? Besides pritchels, creasers, and tongs. And which ones should I get?
If I can swing it, I want a new anvil, too.
Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 01:23 #2

• vthorseshoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 55
Travis, anvils come in all sizes and shapes and in my opinion becomes a bit of a specialty item for each individual farrier.
For example;
I used the NC cavalry for a long time because it was what I could afford and still gave me a wide face to work draft shoe's on.

Farriers today have been switching to a round horn after many instructors/clinicians/mentors started showing how to shape shoe's on one by drawing lines on the horn showing where to place the shoe when hitting it for shaping. This along with tong placement and the round horn came back into the fore front.
The oval horn used for many years is still produced but after a bit of experience many farriers make the switch to round horns.

You have a wide choice so break it down into what fits your particular needs.

What size /weight can you handle in and out of your truck...
The kind of shoe's you use and horse's you shoe can also be used to determine the size and shape of anvil.

Price can come into the fore front as most anvils get pretty pricey.
If you have the money to spend then have them set up an anvil you like on a stand and get behind it and give it a feel.

I think that NC anvils are great for a first anvil and give as much bang for your buck.

Don't know if I was much help but I know I started out with an NC and used it for many years and it payed for itself many times over.

Also I have tried every forge on the market at one time or another.
For my money and for the most easy to start and easy to replace parts and efficiency I still use an NC whisper.... Donald jones has been selling the best forge on the market in my book for more years than I can recall.
He makes a forge for every use and they come in every size... and can matche the heat of any other one on the market...

my 2 cents worth ;)
"you may not like what I say" !
-but-
"you'll never have any doubts where I stand
quote Cindy Matthews 1948-2006

I thought my life had come to a close with Cindy's passing, but there is life after death Thankyou Sharon !

Bruce Matthews
Southeast...

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 01:31 #3

• BS-Horseshoeing
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 4
Travis Morgan wrote:
So, I'll finally be getting a new gas forge when I get back from this road trip, hopefully. I've got a pretty good selection of hammers. What else do you guys suggest? Besides pritchels, creasers, and tongs. And which ones should I get?
If I can swing it, I want a new anvil, too.

Travis, the best thing to do is find some other farriers with different tools and try them out. The only way to know what your going to like is to try them. What I like to use may not be good for you. Hammers can always have the handles adjusted to fit your hands. Tongs can be gotten use to and so can pritchels and creasers. An anvil is a huge personal selection. I've had a small flat horn anvil and worked cold on that for a few years and got by fine. When I went to hot shaping and making shoes I found that a round horn was much easier. I now have a 100 lb. JHM Certifier on the truck and a 200lb. Emerson at home with round horns and love them. They are great for making shoes and working hot. You can do the same with a flat horn it just takes getting use to. Get what you feel you want and make it work. Time, practice, and patience will get you use to what ever you get and make you efficient.

Oh yeah, as far as a forge, I started with a whisper deluxe and it was great for hot shaping and mods but shoe making was a bit slower from heat loss (no insulated door and back port instead of end ports). If you just want ot modify shoes the whisper is fine and you can weld in it, just more time again. Get what fits your need and your truck.
Ben Sturman
AFA CF #7558

Tough times never last, but tough people do!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, one lick and you will suck for ever!

Folks who think traditional farriery means perimeter fit don't know a heluva lot about shoeing. Tom Stovall,...

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 01:51 #4

• Travis Morgan
  • Very Senior Member
Thanks guys. Leaning towards the whisper mama for a forge. Not sure which anvil, at this time. I'm gonna be near Stuttgart, Arkansas for a while, so I hope I can find somewhere between here and there where I can look a few over and cmpare.

Suggestions for reasonable priced, good quality stuff for hot work? Hopefully, this job will make me enough money so I can go to school soon.

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 02:56 #5

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
I would say to keep the anvil you have now and put some extra investment into a forge and fire tools.
An ol' boy told me when I started that I'm going to end up buying the good tools, so I might as well do it first with out wasting money on the cheap stuff.
Avoid the Future Forge.
I like the Forgemaster Blacksmith. They are used at alot of the contests and can take a beating in the back of the truck. There are a lot of little tricks you can do with them to keep the liners going for years. It's always easier to do a small job in a big forge that a big job in a small forge.
What ever you get, make sure you get dual controls. Once the forge is hot I mostly just use one burner.
Get good tongs. They're expensive but will make your life better. Burlton and Flatland Forge are good.
Once you have the forge you can make a lot of your own punches, pritchels, creasers and such.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this post are not meant to denigrate any person or persons who own a different brand of tool than myself or may buy a different brand in the future. Sorry, just trying to be cute.

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 03:01 #6

• Travis Morgan
  • Very Senior Member
Bill Adams wrote:

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this post are not meant to denigrate any person or persons who own a different brand of tool than myself or may buy a different brand in the future. Sorry, just trying to be cute.

LOL! That's a good one.

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 08:20 #7

• DavidinGA
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Travis,

I went from an 80lb peter wright to the NC Cavalry anvil because it was the widest face I could find for the price (actually, I had about decided on a used anvil when my wife surprised me with the cavalry she had seen me looking at). Anyway, the point is, if you are used to using a round horn, the flatter horn takes some getting used to but, the thing that really aggravates me about it is the clipping horns and the cams get in my way when I'm working. I guess it's just because I'm not used to them being there. Also, if I had bought it for myself I would have gotten the one with the groove across the face. Once I get used to those cams and clipping horns I think I'm gonna really like this anvil.

As for the forge, I have the whisper momma with the ports in the door and in the back. The only complaints I have is that the ports aren't under the fire, they put the stock in between the fire and it takes longer to heat IMO and it heats unevenly. The side without the ignitor gets hotter faster. Someone on here said he had solved that by removing the ignitor and starting his forge with a torch striker. So, my suggestion on this forge would be get the one with the side ports.

As for the other tools, look them over real well then look at the tool building threads on here. I'm sure you can build a lot of the tools you need/want. Look how many guys (and gals) on here are using hoof stands and anvil stands that they built. There are even a few using hammers and tongs (and some of everything else) built by themselves.

Hope that helps
David

By the way, there is at least one member on here who has some pretty nice anvils for sale at a good price. You might even be able to find a lot of what you need here second hand.
David H. Van Hook

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 13:45 #8

• Jack Evers
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 45
David, that pritchel groove in the face can be done in 15 minutes with an angle grinder. Get someone to hold a piece of barstock as a guide and use the edge of the disk to cut with.
Jack Evers CJF AFA#426

The best things about the good old days -- I wasn't good and I wasn't old.

The older I get, the more horses I shoe, the fewer things that I can absolutely, positively fix.

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 13:53 #9

• smitty88
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 64
If you dont have much money to spare
you can make

Pritchels
stamps
tongs
buffer ect

Smitty88
John Mc Loughlin

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 14:28 #10

I really like the wisper daddy. And I use a Scott anvil in the truck. I like the ability to run one two or all three burners . The wisper momma is a good forge. Try and get one with ports on each side

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 14:32 #11

• chris bunting
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
i use swan forges both in the workshop and on the road , anvils are a matter of choice , i like my mustad in the van but have just bought a new bob marshall 1/2 and 1/2 , i will give it a go next week
chris
common sense is not needed when you have rules

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 14:33 #12

• Travis Morgan
  • Very Senior Member
Thanks, guys. I'm looking foward to learning more about metallurgy and heat treatment.

That's a really nicely finished job you did on that pritchel, and the shoe, too, Smitty.

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 14:38 #13

swan is definately my choice. after having one, there´s no going back...
anvil is not too important IMO, you can always buy better when you have more money. I think bloom makes nice tongs and tools with decent price.

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 16:08 #14

Juhani Takanen wrote:
swan is definately my choice. after having one, there´s no going back...
anvil is not too important IMO, you can always buy better when you have more money. I think bloom makes nice tongs and tools with decent price.

As does Mustad.

Regards
Rick Shepherd

Although we know what we believe, we may only believe what we know. Dr William Moyers

RE:Getting a new forge. What else should I get? 08 Oct 2011 16:11 #15

• smitty88
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 64
Western Hill Forge wrote:
As does Mustad.

Regards

Mustad for tools Rick?:eek:
Smitty88
John Mc Loughlin
  • Page:

Kunena Birthday Module

• brianriggs birthday is today
  • canditemby birthday is today
  • cwlindauer birthday is today
  • LilBitOfHeaven birthday is today
  • lonestar birthday is today
  • vincentfarley52 birthday is today
  • alminc11 birthday is in 1 day
  • DABELL24 birthday is in 1 day
  • skelemen birthday is in 1 day
  • hoofdoc28 birthday is in 364 days
  • paulblog556715DE birthday is in 364 days
  • paulc7765BA9B birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.