make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Friday May 27, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Anvil Re-Face

Anvil Re-Face 20 Jan 2006 01:32 #1

Had some time to kill between appointments the other day and decided to stop by my buddies machine shop. Got to talking about my anvil and since we had a couple of hours, we chucked it up on the engine block grinder... My anvil face us now within 1000th of inch of being perfectly flat!!

OMG!! what a difference! It was worth every penny of the 50 bucks he charged me!

Doug :)
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.farrierpro.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Anvil Re-Face 20 Jan 2006 04:01 #2

Pictures by chance? PLEASE!???

Any help for the anvil horn?

What happened to the face edges?

Did you re-polish it too?

What size anvil?

Pictures???- Oh I already asked that.

You've probably made a lot of us jealous now! - Thanks

Kim
Regards,
Kim

Those who only consider cost, do NOT consider the cost to the horse!

The more we know, the more we know we need to know more! Ya know?

RE:Anvil Re-Face 20 Jan 2006 06:38 #3

Sure, I'll take a few pics and post'm.....

The anvil is a MFC hollow core 85lbs (100lbs pattern). Not the best in the world but she gets the job done, and she sounded like a railroad iron on the grinder so it was good metal.

The entire anvil is a beautiful Oregon rust color except for the face, but is working its way back to that wonderful rust color.

Edges are not as sharp as I'd like, and didn't want to take more off to get it there. I only cold shoe, but will be hot shoeing this summer once I have my service body on the truck, and probably will pick up another anvil that will be fixed to the truck.

As for the horn I was thinking about using a stiff wire wheel on one of those little grinders to see if she'll polish up.. But why? As wet as it is here it will just rust again..

Nothing is dry in Oregon right now....

Doug
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

RE:Anvil Re-Face 21 Jan 2006 05:49 #4

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
Should we assume that the anvil came to you with out being flat from the foundry or has there been impresions beaten into it?
I've heard (and seen) that MFC has poor quality hand tools, but if the steel is good in the anvil, then you probably made it better.
Where is Timber?
Bill

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:Anvil Re-Face 21 Jan 2006 06:06 #5

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 3
The risk in grinding the face of an anvil is removing too much of the harened face. I had one anvil face ground and I won't do it again. All I do with an old anvil is take the sharp edges of any dings or chips removing as little as possible.

RE:Anvil Re-Face 21 Jan 2006 07:11 #6

One of my mentors (I'm not that smart, I needed more then one :p ) worked on two anvils. One was set up next to the van, a 200 lbs one and he had a little one next to him when he shod a horse for small changes. That one weighed 40 lbs or so.

The thing is this was one of the best shoers in Europe I'm still not clear on whether he was a genius or a ******. He would go out shoe horses at the slaughter house and take the legs with him after they got seperated from the rest of the horse and cut them in two with a saw. That guy was more than precise in his work and expected his apprentices to do the same. Unfortunately he was very difficult to get around with. Most likely that's the reason why I was the only one that could hold out with that guy for 18 months, he was uhm.... Different!

The thing is a guy like that you'ld expect him to work on perfect anvils. Well he did not. In fact his anvils were a mess. Both of them! The big one had chips all over was not flat at all and you did not need a ruler to check that!

When I asked him about it he would just say "My anvils are good where they need to be good" (He was not the communicating type :rolleyes: )

Bottom line you do not need a flat anvil face to do an amazing job.

Ronald Aalders

RE:Anvil Re-Face 21 Jan 2006 07:36 #7

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
Ronald Aalders wrote:
Bottom line you do not need a flat anvil face to do an amazing job.

Ronald Aalders

You're right. A flat surface isn't always the best for making your work flat and an anvil face isn't a reference surface.

I recently picked up another old Peter Wright. It has a slight saddle in the face (as lots of them do) and the edges are banged up but I love it. Unfortunately it doesn't have a sharp edge anyplace on it so I don't think it'll be too good for pulling clips but I have other anvils I can use for that.

I have another Peter Wright that I had ground and I'm afraid that grinding left it a bit soft. The tip of the horn had been broken off and reground which I didn't even realize when I baught it.

I still have the 70 pound NC that I baught when I first started shoeing which is in pretty good shape.

All are great tools but none are perfect for everything so I can see at least one more anvil in my future...darn.

RE:Anvil Re-Face 21 Jan 2006 20:30 #8

Bill,

When I started shoe'n I beat the **** outta of the anvil so there were several indentions that were removed. The steel is of good quality and since we were only taking 2 thousands per pass the hardness was not effected, and we had to let it cool several times.

Yea I agree, MFC handtools are a hit and miss deal..not much more you can say about that.

Location: Timber, Oregon. North West corner of the state... 39 Miles North East from Tillimook, and 40 or so miles West of Portland in the Coast Range. My place is just in the boundry of the Tillimook State Forest. http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Timber,+OR

RE:Anvil Re-Face 22 Jan 2006 16:21 #9

• Donald Ruff
Mike i jujst recently picked up an old peter wright from a lady back in Michigan. This thing is sweet. It's in the rig and it's the only anvil i'll pack around now. It had a little work done to it by Ken Mankel and it's top notch. Every edge is sharp and there is no sway in the face of the anvil, the horn is in great shape as well. I love it.
Don Ruff
Knowledge is Patience and Patience is Knowledge
Slow is Fast and Fast is Slow

RE:Anvil Re-Face 22 Jan 2006 16:38 #10

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
Cool! I sure wish I could come across one of those.

RE:Anvil Re-Face 22 Jan 2006 16:40 #11

• Donald Ruff
i had been looking for over a year. Good luck!

Don

RE:Anvil Re-Face 22 Jan 2006 20:20 #12

• Dave Whitaker
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Don, I tried to buy that anvil..she send me photos...... I was a day and a dollar behind you...... looked like a ripper of a PW. Dave

"Everything is for sale......some are just harder to buy than others......"

RE:Anvil Re-Face 23 Jan 2006 05:34 #13

• SlowShoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
About the anvil rust..

Mine was rusting up seeminlgy over night during the wet and humid weather. I used a wire wheel on my grinder and ran it eveywhere the rust was.. Cleaned it up real nice. Then I used this Synthetic Based Spray Lubricant by Valvoline. You know it was packed in a spray can with a small tube on that attaches to the nozzel like wd40 sort of (but much better). I rubbed it into the anvil with a fresh rag. Now the anvil is not greasy, however it doesnt rust. I spray some on the face like once a week, and I cover the face with the rag when im not useing it. It WILL NOT RUST ifyou have it covered with that rag. The places the rag are not covering will sometimes get a little rust on it, but it just rubs right off. I use the stuff on my hammers as well. Its a great rust preventative. It also works like a dream on drill bits too. Or wherever you need something lubricated. Its lasts forever. My door used to squeek. i'd put wd40 on it, and it would be squeeking a few days later. I put this stuff on it months ago, no squeeks.

Give it a try. Valvoline Synthetic Lubricant. I got mine at Napa.

-Josh
________
Yamaha Fs1R

RE:Anvil Re-Face 23 Jan 2006 06:16 #14

Josh,

Thanks for the info! I'm going to NAPA in morning!!

Nothing, I mean nothing is dry here in the coast range in NW Oregon right now...

We finally got a day w/o rain today after 27 straight days of rain... Here at my place we've had over 30" of this month, and they are saying Feb is going to be worse...

I'm keep an eye out for the Ark while I'm out shoe'n these days....

Doug

RE:Anvil Re-Face 23 Jan 2006 17:29 #15

• Donald Ruff
Dave,
I did get a sweet anvil for a nice price.
That anvil is a beauty. Like I said before I have used it everyday since it arrived from the FedEx truck. It took me a year to find this one, now i am searching for a nice shop anvil. Say a 600+lbs. Hay Budden but i didn't feel like taking out a second on the house for it.
Don

Kunena Birthday Module

• Rude_n_Ugly birthday is today
  • Russ in WI birthday is today
  • Tcasey1968 birthday is today
  • JWHORSESHOEING birthday is in 1 day
  • TheCircleT birthday is in 1 day
  • THOROBREDS birthday is in 1 day
  • Chris Daniel birthday is in 2 days
  • FordWayFarm birthday is in 2 days
  • Hillbilly898 birthday is in 2 days
  • songlyrics32F075 birthday is in 364 days
  • SonnysMom birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.