make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Wednesday May 25, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Draft Stocks!?

Draft Stocks!? 28 Feb 2009 23:59 #1

• HOSSBOSS
I have the pleasure of TRYing to trim 4 Belgian drafts that have NOT been trained to keep their feet up for me while i trim (been there,done that):,-( So..... the owner want's to get them in stocks for me to get the job done for once & for all.
I have never worked with stocks! So i have NO clue how to go about it & what to expect:-( I do know that Bruce on here specializes in training drafts for this reason, but i do not think i will have the extra time to learn in time for it.

So... what should i do?? Will the drafts understand the stock's & behave? Or is there a better option?
I suppose sadation is best, but i overheard that the owner want's to try the stocks first.
HELP...!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Draft Stocks!? 01 Mar 2009 17:09 #2

• ocsmitty
I would probably walk away from this one. Sounds like a recipe for someone getting hurt bad. If you don't understand how to use something completely then don't use it. Offer to assist them in finding a farrier more experienced with this type of work. That's just what I would do though. You can't make any money from the hospital. Be safe.

RE:Draft Stocks!? 01 Mar 2009 19:12 #3

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
HOSSBOSS wrote:

So... what should i do?? Will the drafts understand the stock's & behave?

Probably not. And that assumes they can even get them to load into the stocks.
Or is there a better option?
!

As you noted, chemical restraint might be a better option, Smitty's harness works well, but if you don't particularly need the money or the aggravation of dealing with these horses, then I agree with OCSmitty's advise. And its advise I would more than likely follow in the same situation. :)
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:Draft Stocks!? 01 Mar 2009 20:24 #4

• smytheson
  • Contributing Member
The advice already given to you is sound. The effort involved in getting these horses to enter stocks once (never mind repeatedly) is probably greater than the effort required to teach them to stand and give a leg. Stocks are not usually a shortcut to success and should only be used by someone well versed in their use, even then there is substantial risk of injury to horse and operatives. Here in the UK we are forced to belong (at considerable personal expense) to the Farriers Rogues and Cripplers who prohibit the use of this restraint without a vet being present. Draught horses are usually placid, it is their bulk and the sheer weight of their limbs that makes life difficult. A hoofrest might help, but walking away would solve the problem. Stay safe and good luck.
If I should die, think only this of me. That there's some corner of a foreign field that is forever England.

RE:Draft Stocks!? 01 Mar 2009 20:38 #5

Chemically sedated drafts would probably be pretty heavy!! They're heavy enough when they're trying to help.
Cody
Cody Hofsommer CF

RE:Draft Stocks!? 01 Mar 2009 20:48 #6

I have worked in stocks and it goes alright, most of the time. The horses are used to them, the guy knows how to use them, and the horses are calm. With all that, I have seen things go bad. We had a young horse go down it them and getting her up was a real chore. A few years before I went there, a young lady farrier did them once. She left with one less tooth!!! There is a crank that lifts a strap that is on the leg, the horse kicked and the crank handle slipped out of her hand. It came around and nocked out one of her front teeth. My advice, leave it for someone that thinks there bullet proof, or someone with experience with the big boys. There is a lot easier money out there.
Cody
Cody Hofsommer CF

RE:Draft Stocks!? 01 Mar 2009 23:17 #7

• vthorseshoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 55
Sounds to me like your best option would be to follow the advice of all who preceeds this post.

Walk away.

I have worked drafts for many years and zI school folks in how to handle them along with schooling drafts and horses to stand quietly for being worked on, BUT unless you have someone experienced there to guide you or someone to help who know what they are doing, then the correct answer is walk away from this one.

Out of curiosity, just where are you located ?

my 2 cents worth ;)
"you may not like what I say" !
-but-
"you'll never have any doubts where I stand
quote Cindy Matthews 1948-2006

I thought my life had come to a close with Cindy's passing, but there is life after death Thankyou Sharon !

Bruce Matthews
Southeast...

RE:Draft Stocks!? 01 Mar 2009 23:32 #8

1.) unless you know what you are doing do not attempt to train drafts to enter the stocks. If you do make sure you leave pleanty of time and charge for your time.

2.) Drafts are smart I've known several that figured out that if they prevented us from fastening the ankle strap around the fetlock we would not be able to lift the foot. So they would kick violently at anyone trying to put the strap on. If we did get it on they would put all thier weight on that leg and defeat the leg raising process that way.

Given the issues of stock entry and leg raising it is simpler to just train the horse to stand for the farrier than to train them to stocks. If a horse owner has stocks and has trained the horse to be happy in them I use them . If not I offer to train the horse at the hourly rate but I no longer train horses to stocks.
George Spear
CNBBT, CNBF, CLS

".....and I said to the horse: Trust no man in whose eyes you do not see yourself reflected as an equal."
Don Vincenzo Giobbe
CA. 1700

"What people do not appreciate is that every time a horse submits to...

RE:Draft Stocks!? 02 Mar 2009 00:09 #9

• T. Wm. HALL
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I aqree that it isn't worth being hurt or hurting the horse. There are plenty of good horses to do to risk being hurt by the bad ones. If they get too bad, you can always refer the client to these guys shown in this video. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlJMIFx_npk&feature=related

Be safe!

Trevor Wm. Hall, CF
Hall's Horseshoeing
Redmond, Oregon U.S.A.
www.Hallshorseshoeing.com

He that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools. ~Confuscius

RE:Draft Stocks!? 02 Mar 2009 03:11 #10

• beslagsmed
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 5
Great find Trevor,
I guess the owner takes a hand in dicipline!! Looks like the nails got some good traction on the heads.
Mikel Dawson, RJF

(Denmark)
What part of "NO" don't you understand!!

Caution: Watch for hoof in mouth disease!!!

RE:Draft Stocks!? 02 Mar 2009 08:55 #11

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
As to the drafts in stocks, I was taught by a Farrier very experienced at using quality stocks, on a horse trained to the stocks. I did the horse for a couple of years and could see the poetical for major problems.

As to the Farriers of Kashgar, I wanted to see how they mapped out the foot before they they trimmed.

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:Draft Stocks!? 02 Mar 2009 15:35 #12

• HoustonFarrier
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I would agree, it's probably in your best interests to skip this one. If you are not well versed on using them, it's a disaster waiting to happen. It's more than just walk them in and trim them:)

Steve
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal. - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

RE:Draft Stocks!? 02 Mar 2009 16:59 #13

• vthorseshoe
  • Master
There you go,, Drafthorse Shoer's advising you to walk away.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

my 2 cents worth ;)
-but-

I thought my life had come to a close with Cindy's passing, but there is life after death Thankyou Sharon !

Bruce Matthews
Southeast...

RE:Draft Stocks!? 05 Mar 2009 22:58 #14

• Jim Sweeney
vthorseshoe wrote:
There you go,, Drafthorse Shoer's advising you to walk away.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

my 2 cents worth ;)

And if you decide to ignore everyone's advice please have someone video the whole thing for Baron's new video section.:D:D:D
Jim Sweeney

"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left". The Logger.

RE:Draft Stocks!? 06 Mar 2009 00:35 #15

• vthorseshoe
  • Master
OH ! Yes please .....:D

Jim I like your sense of humor !!

my 2 cents worth ;)
-but-

Bruce Matthews
Southeast...

Kunena Birthday Module

• davegreen3358399335 birthday is today
  • J.Ravanelli birthday is today
  • lou_pre-farrier birthday is today
  • Melanie Arabsky Ledger birthday is today
  • melissa1991 birthday is today
  • mmhorseshoeing birthday is today
  • pinklauraloz birthday is today
  • cowboyjl birthday is in 1 day
  • rekawice6E18 birthday is in 1 day
  • tex1788mex birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.