make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Thursday May 19, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads?

Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 05 Jan 2009 22:29 #1

Hi all, I went to shoeing school this last summer and we didn't really cover winter shoeing that much. I have seen some posts and threads about snow pads and was wondering if someone would be able to give me a general overview of the different types of "snow pads". Maybe names, what they do and how they are supposed to work? I am pretty familiar with studs and borium and the like but I have only put on your basic flat plastic pads. I really appreciate the help and info! :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 08 Jan 2009 02:10 #2

To elaborate a little on my post I was basically wondering what the advantages are between the rim/tube pads and the b a l l pads are. I know what they do but I was wondering if one is more effective than the other?

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 09 Jan 2009 16:15 #3

Well, I'm not an expert in anything, but I have put a few snowball pads on. Personally I like the Mustad rim pads. They're rubber and seem to "give". Someone makes a more plastic one, can't remember the brand, but I didn't like them as much. I don't care for the flat plastic pads with the ball on them, but some people like them. I guess I would just rather keep the sole open. I have heard on the rim pads some people having problems with stuff getting into the tube and freezing. That will give them a pretty nasty sole bruise; but I've never had this problem. Mustad also makes them in front and hind patterns, that really helps. Make sure you cut the pad like a good heel check, so it follows the frog line. There are some good pics on here somewhere. Hope this helps
Cody
Cody Hofsommer CF

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 10 Jan 2009 15:47 #4

• anvilsteve
Here in Upstate New York, just below Syracuse, we know a little about snow. At times snow fall is measured by the foot just north of here, but we get enough that a lot of snow pads are used here. I would say the Mustad No Sno is used predominantly by myself and other shoers that I know. We like this rim style snow pad for several reasons. At times we get thaws between blizzards which turns paddock areas in seas of mud and slush. A flat or bubble pad will then collect alot of debris under it no matter how well you pack it. During the winter, we might not see these horses for 8 week or more, which could mean several cycles of snow and thaw. Things get really rotten under a full pad. Having the bottom of the hoof open eliminates that problem.
The Mustad No Sno us easy to use and holds up throughout the winter and can sometimes be saved and used again next year so it is cost effective. It comes in fronts and hinds, and sizes that will fit a 00 right up to a small draft.
My advice is to rivet the heels and one rivet in the toe of larger feet.

Hope this helps,

Steve Kraus, CJF

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 10 Jan 2009 17:16 #5

• calshoer
  • Guru
There are two basic kinds of show pads. One has a hollow rim, that flexes, the other a ball "popper". the ball part goes toward the ground. Apply them as you would any full or rim pad. If you use the ball popper type,use some sole pack underneath but do not overfill the foot .Leave some space so the ball can smash and pop back out with each step.
Patty Stiller CNBF,CLS
www.hoofcareonline.com

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 10 Jan 2009 17:29 #6

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
Patty,

I don't know what kind of 'bubble' pads you are using, but none of the ones I use have the ability to have a true popper action.
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 10 Jan 2009 20:40 #7

• calshoer
  • Guru
Well I have always assumed that the bubble moves....otherwise is it just there for decoration? :p
Patty Stiller CNBF,CLS
www.hoofcareonline.com

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 10 Jan 2009 21:40 #8

• ray steele
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 4
I believe that the way a "popper" pad work is to provide a higher point/surface to enhance maximum flex of the entire pad, it is the movement of the rubber or plastic tha helps to keep the snow and or ice from building up.Years ago I used to fill the round type bubble pads with silicone to keep them from crushing, not that they collapsed often nor did the collapse effect how they worked but I was darn near imposable to explain to an owner that it would not effect the working of the pad. Those of you who remember the old Fruin ,rubber/jute pads will remember that its bubble was solid.

The rim type pads, weather Mustad, Cemtec,Castle,etc work basically on the same principal for shedding snow and that is movement of the plastic to keep the snow from sticking.

Which type to use is up to the individual ,horse, owner ,farrier and sometimes vet. I say this because I have used quite a few of all the styles andt the is a place for them all. I remember when the rim type became more affordale and one vet in this area blamed the popper pads for everything. I got called to install rim types on a horse that had poppers but got thrush. The pads got blamed ,and the vet insisted on rim type pads. I tried to explain that that might not be the best choice given the way and where i was told that the horse was used. We wound up putting on the rims, a couple of weeks later I was called to meet up with the vet. The temperature had dropped considerably , the horses were kept in for a couple of days, when they were finally let out into the pasture the ground was frozen very unevenly and some "spikes" of mud protruded pretty high. This horse came barreling out driving his feet hard, and drove a spike of mud thru his hoof. Bubble pads probably would have deflected the spike.

I use venice terps and hoof phelt to pack under pads, yea some dirt gets in but the dirt never gets to the hoof because of the Hoof Phelt and I don't think anything can incubate in venice terps.

Regards

ray Steele

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 10 Jan 2009 22:11 #9

• anvilsteve
[ATTACH]8097[/ATTACH]
Attached is a shot of Mustad No Sno's ready to nail on.

Steve Kraus, CJF
Attachments:

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 11 Jan 2009 14:32 #10

• vthorseshoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 55
Steve Kraus is 100 % on the mark;

Here in Upstate New York, just below Syracuse, we know a little about snow. At times snow fall is measured by the foot just north of here, but we get enough that a lot of snow pads are used here. I would say the Mustad No Sno is used predominantly by myself and other shoers that I know. We like this rim style snow pad for several reasons. At times we get thaws between blizzards which turns paddock areas in seas of mud and slush. A flat or bubble pad will then collect alot of debris under it no matter how well you pack it. During the winter, we might not see these horses for 8 week or more, which could mean several cycles of snow and thaw. Things get really rotten under a full pad. Having the bottom of the hoof open eliminates that problem.
The Mustad No Sno us easy to use and holds up throughout the winter and can sometimes be saved and used again next year so it is cost effective. It comes in fronts and hinds, and sizes that will fit a 00 right up to a small draft.
My advice is to rivet the heels and one rivet in the toe of larger feet

I pretty much use the pencil rim pads all the time, EXCEPT when I have a heavy draft that needs full protection on the front.
Then I will use a plastic bubble full pad.

my 2 cents worth ;)
"you may not like what I say" !
-but-
"you'll never have any doubts where I stand
quote Cindy Matthews 1948-2006

I thought my life had come to a close with Cindy's passing, but there is life after death Thankyou Sharon !

Bruce Matthews
Southeast...

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 11 Jan 2009 14:51 #11

I use the castle full bubble pads and fill underneath with the castle brand hoofprints silicone and I never have a problem with mud or other debris infiltrating under the pad. I prefer a full pad as with the extremes of weather we get here in new england it is not uncommon to have foot prints in the mud freeze into frozen spikes.

After filling the entire area under the pad including the bubble I use a length of duct tape around the back of the heels and shoe to prevent the silicone from leaking out while it sets up. I let the owner know they can remove the duct tape the next day.

For a faster set (at a higher material cost) the equithane purple 2 part silicone will set in a few minutes rather than the few hours that the hoofprints silicone takes.
George Spear
CNBBT, CNBF, CLS

".....and I said to the horse: Trust no man in whose eyes you do not see yourself reflected as an equal."
Don Vincenzo Giobbe
CA. 1700

"What people do not appreciate is that every time a horse submits to...

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 11 Jan 2009 22:12 #12

• anvilsteve
The simple answer is that no one method works for all horses, weather situations, geographic areas, etc. It is always good be aware of all the options and be equipped to do produce what ever is needed. We have moved away from the bubble pads packed with silicone especially with thoroughbred type horses due to sole pressure problems.

Steve Kraus, CJF

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 13 Jan 2009 12:06 #13

While on the subject of winter pads, what do yall use to cut them to shape, I have been using a pocket knife or an old double edged knife, but almost sliced my thumb the other day the bad was so stiff from the cold.
James Cockrell
I learn every day, most days the horse teaches me.

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 13 Jan 2009 12:41 #14

I do have a pad cutter for full pads but I have found that my goat hoof trimmers work really well for the softer plastic rim pads.

RE:Winter Shoeing and Snow Pads? 13 Jan 2009 17:27 #15

• calshoer
  • Guru
I cut all my pads with a coping saw. Place the shoe in the vise right side up, so the pad is on the bottom and the blade is placed in the saw with the teeth cutting on the upstroke. The blades will not break after you get the feel of it. Be gentle don't force the blade through the material , just let it do the work. And if you pull the loose cut piece of the pad away from the rest with one hand as you cut it , it goes really easy.
You can also use a power skill saw with a fine blade,the same way.
Patty Stiller CNBF,CLS
www.hoofcareonline.com
  • Page:

Kunena Birthday Module

• Jan99504 birthday is today
  • milly7i0726 birthday is today
  • spotteddrafter1 birthday is today
  • Grentell farrier service birthday is in 1 day
  • JennieMs3631 birthday is in 364 days
  • jhesse66 birthday is in 364 days
  • Leftys Anvil birthday is in 364 days
  • LucksBFA6 birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.