make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Monday July 4, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Farmilo's Hoof-Line

Farmilo's Hoof-Line 18 Aug 2005 17:25 #1

• wwhite1973
Any comments on David Farmilo's Hoof- Line? It is touted as the essential tool for all horse owners, farriers, veternarians, trainers and riders! Says it is a vital tool in trimming the hoof correctly. Anyone out there ever use it or seen it.
Wayne
AFA Member #10310 IRB Thoroughbred Licensed Blacksmith
Please! Don't steal. The government doesn't like the competition!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 07 Jun 2006 05:55 #2

• Tallisman
Hi,

David Farmillo is an aussie like myself, but we will gladly off load him if anyone else will take him. He is a very egotistical man who has actually done his own web site where he tells everyone how great he is. A self confessed legend of the farrier world! As far as his ruler goes, I am pretty sure he is the only one who uses it.

Have a great day :)

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 07 Jun 2006 06:12 #3

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
Tallisman,
See? Your caching on quite well here.
I've met David, a fine enough fellow, and heard his presentation. The ruler is fine, it brings the breakover back futher than triditional triming, but I like it a bit futher back.
Of the cure-all rullers out there, it makes the most sence to me, and as David pointed out, it's a good hoof pick and back scracher, too.
Bill
By the way, whats your name?

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 07 Jun 2006 14:37 #4

• Peggy Dolan
I met him at his clinic here in So Cal a few months back. Seemed knowledgeable, helpful and was a very good farrier in my opinion. Did not feel the need for the device, but it might be applicable for a rookie, or if you work on a lot of wrecks. As for his high self esteem and self promotion, it ain't braggin if you can back it up.
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 07 Jun 2006 17:43 #5

• smitty88
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 64
never heard much about this fellow
what has he invented a ruler
Smitty88
John Mc Loughlin

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 07 Jun 2006 17:54 #6

• vthorseshoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 55
David came to Vermont and put on a clinic for a very large group of farriers and horse owners.
I have been to a number of clinics here in the USA where the clinicians were rude and very self absorbed.
Davis Farmillo was none the sort. He was willing to answer anyones questions to the best of his ability and his "back to basic" approach to teaching others was one of the best clinics Vermonters have had the chance to listen to.
His ruler is just that, a simple means for a person to understand about bringing balance to a hoof. It isn't a highly technical object you need 6 pages and an interpreter to understand it. It is mearly a tool to help you understand a concept. It is set up in a manner even another Aussie or an American or Canadian or any one else from anywhere should be able to understand.
His enthusiasm to help others understand the simplest of basics, I would hope is accepted as just that. Enthusiasm and Desire to help others learn.

Nothing David showed us in anyway would cause any form of damage to a horse, quite the contrary, with all the long toe short heel around the country his "back to basics" will only improve on this exisiting problem.

At no time did he say his was the only method or the only way. He emphasized it was a trim that has worked well for him through the years.

David Farmillo is not a Flim Flam Man trying to sell a get rich scheme in 5 days.
He is a long time farrier willing to help others along the way.
His ruler is a simple, easy to use, and understand, method of checking your work.
Many of us don't need to use it, but for many a new-comer it will allow them to see the basic results by following its method of use. Once one is comfortable with backing up a toe and bring the heels back and trimming for equal hoof wall thickness then the ruler can be put to use as a super hoof pick.
David will be the first to tell you just that.

Just my thoughts
"you may not like what I say" !
-but-
"you'll never have any doubts where I stand
quote Cindy Matthews 1948-2006

I thought my life had come to a close with Cindy's passing, but there is life after death Thankyou Sharon !

Bruce Matthews
Southeast...

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 07 Jun 2006 23:32 #7

I went to one of his clinics and found it very intresting. I am newish to the trade and still like to be able to check and make sure I am doing everything correctly and his ruler is easy to use and understand. He answered all the questions from farriers/vets/owners at the clinic and never said it was a perfect method, just one that worked for him while he was at some of the ranches he worked at. He has a very nice personality and does his clinics with humor and ease.
Chad Cordes

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 05 Oct 2006 05:22 #8

In response to the Article in the October / November issue of The Horse Report Worth reading Just do not leave this guy alone with your horses

Dear Mr Farmilo,

I was of the opinion that you where a good horseman until l read your article on the above subject.
I do not believe that you are suggesting to people that they tie up horses loosely, so l gather that all vet bills
incurred by this *****ic comment be forwarded straight to you!! i.e. broken necks jaws legs oh and
doctors bills for the human toll.

Do you not understand basic horsemanship, teaching a horse to give to pressure so that when you come
to tying your horse up he understands the concept even if there is a Afghanistan climbing Camel having a tea party
under your horse!

And bailing twine more fool you for tying a horse to a gate ( you have just lost all credibility as far as horse people are concerned)
if you want to teach your horse one of the worst habits it can lean tie it with bailing twine, horse pulls back breaks bailing twine
takes of bad habit learnt horse one you nil.

All our babies have a halter and long lead on and they drag it around the round yard
they stand on the rope it pulls there head down they take a step back lesson learnt give to pressure horse nil you one I know witch way l would
rather get a job done.

You might be a fantastic farrier but how about you leave the basic horsemanship skills to horse people you just worry
about their feet.

Kind Regards
stockhorse

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 05 Oct 2006 10:45 #9

stockhorse wrote:
In response to the Article in the October / November issue of The Horse Report Worth reading Just do not leave this guy alone with your horses

Dear Mr Farmilo,

I was of the opinion that you where a good horseman until l read your article on the above subject.
I do not believe that you are suggesting to people that they tie up horses loosely, so l gather that all vet bills
incurred by this *****ic comment be forwarded straight to you!! i.e. broken necks jaws legs oh and
doctors bills for the human toll.

Do you not understand basic horsemanship, teaching a horse to give to pressure so that when you come
to tying your horse up he understands the concept even if there is a Afghanistan climbing Camel having a tea party
under your horse!

And bailing twine more fool you for tying a horse to a gate ( you have just lost all credibility as far as horse people are concerned)
if you want to teach your horse one of the worst habits it can lean tie it with bailing twine, horse pulls back breaks bailing twine
takes of bad habit learnt horse one you nil.

All our babies have a halter and long lead on and they drag it around the round yard
they stand on the rope it pulls there head down they take a step back lesson learnt give to pressure horse nil you one I know witch way l would
rather get a job done.

You might be a fantastic farrier but how about you leave the basic horsemanship skills to horse people you just worry
about their feet.

Kind Regards
stockhorse

I never read the article, but what is it your complaining about? Are you saying it is safer to make sure the horse is restrained at all cost? When was the last time you shod horses for a liveing. A well trained horse taught to tie and give to pressure is a pleasure to work on, but keep your eyes open, it is the safest horse and situation that will get you killed. I could give a rats ass about any horses training, I preffer the tie breaks and will use bailing twine or breakaway on every horse I shoe. A horse that pulls back on unbreakable tie is a disaster. I certainly will leave the training to the trainers and a well trained horse should not break away, but if they have to for some unforseen reason then it is better. If a trainer told me I could not safely tie there horses so they could break away I would have to pack my tools and move on.
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way, but must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 05 Oct 2006 11:52 #10

• Gary Hill
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 6
Tell ya what about the tie string bunk. Saw one break away on its own because it learned it could! Horse was standing alone, no pressure just its own little mind that was taught if it wanted free all it had to do was break a little string. Anyway after the horse was loose it ran out the front gate and right in front of a car coming down the road! Luckily the driver wasn't killed but the dink that learned it could escape did and messed the car up something awful. The owner learned a valuable lesson as to tying horses because she had to pay for the damages. Teach a horse to stand tied not escape. Good luck you need it! Gary
"As I see it, winners get the money - while losers talk of "individual goals" and similar stuff." Tom Stovall

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 05 Oct 2006 12:08 #11

• vthorseshoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 55
Stock horse;

Where can we get this article to read ?
Can it be pulled up on the internet ?

I was interviewed and asked my opinion on crossties a while back along with another accomplshed farier. We both disagree'd on how we felt cross ties should be set up and used, but neither of us felt the need to bash each other.

There are so-ooo many methods of working with horses, why would anyone think their method is the only way to do something ?

If you way works for you then it is great and what you should continue to use, but stop and think, Many times Mr. Farmillo is working out on Sheep stations (kinda like big cattle ranches in the old west ) where the horses to be worked on are running the range until needed and they aren't schooled in your manner.
The folks who ride these animals are many times aboriginees with no more horsemanship schoolng than to jump on and buck him out until he can be ridden.
Mr. Farmillo's methods of safety and his habits of old come from a different background than yours and at his age i doubt he is going to change much.
I know David, and it is and has been his sincere intent to help and pass on his skills and knowledge to folks willing to learn.
I also have seen David work on and under horses and have seen nothing that would send up "warning signs".

I think if you met Mr. Farmillo you might have a change of heart.
He is a fabulous person and You might even write a retraction to your post.

just my thoughts :o
"you may not like what I say" !
-but-
"you'll never have any doubts where I stand
quote Cindy Matthews 1948-2006

I thought my life had come to a close with Cindy's passing, but there is life after death Thankyou Sharon !

Bruce Matthews
Southeast...

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 05 Oct 2006 12:14 #12

I've got to side with Gary on this subject.
I have seen too many wrecks by horses that were spooked and when they pulled back and broke the ties so easily, they went over backward. Some were injured some were not.
One must have been lowering her head to sniff me while I dressed off the fronts. She saw my elbow comming up and must have thought that I was planning on elbowing her in the nose. She pulled back, broke the crossties, went over backwards and while scrambling to get back up she cut a hind leg on one of those metal hose reels.
If she had been tied stout (IMO) she would have pulled back, given to the pressure and leaped back forward.
I prefer stout ties, rope is prefered, (If they are made of chain) safety snaps
or rope closest to the horse for a foot that can be cut easily in an emergency.

Gary

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 05 Oct 2006 12:45 #13

• Tom Stovall CJF
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 1
Phil Armitage in gray

I never read the article, but what is it your complaining about? Are you saying it is safer to make sure the horse is restrained at all cost?

At my end of the sandbox, "properly tied" means "no lower than eye high, no longer arm's length, with and to something that won't break until shorty after the horse's neck does."

When was the last time you shod horses for a liveing.

You digress needlessly and without relevance; however, since you felt it meaningful to inquire about the chronology or another poster's career, you won't mind if I inquire about yours: When was the last time you plated the paddock at a parimutuel race track? Were the official farrier at any USEF "A" or "AA" show? The primary farrier on call at any equine clinic? Asked to speak or demonstrate to a group of farriers or veterinarians? Quality trumps chronology every time.

A well trained horse taught to tie and give to pressure is a pleasure to work on, but keep your eyes open, it is the safest horse and situation that will get you killed. I could give a rats ass about any horses training, I preffer the tie breaks and will use bailing twine or breakaway on every horse I shoe.

If so, might one assume you never have and never will trim/shoe a horse in a public place?

A horse that pulls back on unbreakable tie is a disaster. I certainly will leave the training to the trainers and a well trained horse should not break away, but if they have to for some unforseen reason then it is better.

Horses broke to tie don't "break away", they won't even take the slack out of the shank when something untoward happens; horses properly tied can't break away; either way, they stay put. I've seen bucking horses tied to a picket line during a fireworks demonstration without anything setting back so I'm going to be hard to convince that there's ever a legitimate reason for a loose horse in a public place. Broke is as broke does.

I still work a few shows. If I don't have a holder and don't feel like taking a horse into a stall to work on, you can bet your entire holdings that anything I tie to work on is going to be tied so it'll stay tied come hell or high water. I have personal knowledge of an incident in which a horse set back, toured the show grounds, and ran over a kid in the process. The kid ended up brain damaged. The lawyers had a field day and everybody was real sorry - but none of that helped the kid. As I see it, when a farrier is working is in a public place; i.e., anywhere to which the public has access, his primary responsibiliy is the public's safety, not the horse's safety.

If a trainer told me I could not safely tie there horses so they could break away I would have to pack my tools and move on.

Hereabouts, most folks prefer to instill the habit of staying tied instead of facilitating the horse's breaking loose whenever it feels like doing so. YMMV.

http://www.katyforge.com/tie.htm
Tom Stovall, CJF
"The only foolish question is the one left unasked."

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 05 Oct 2006 13:04 #14

• brian robertson
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 22
Tom, AMEN!

RE:Farmilo's Hoof-Line 05 Oct 2006 13:47 #15

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
Last year I sent my 3yo gelding down to a trainer for his introduction to "bein' a ridin' horse." I stopped by a few days later to see how things were developing. Found my gelding standing in the middle of a paddock with two nylon halters and two lead ropes tied eye-high and arm-long to a 8" x 8" post what was sunk into the ground about 6 feet.

So I ask the trainer why he had my horse tied twice. Trainer said it was standard procedure until he was sure that the horse wouldn't pull back. I asked him if my horse had pulled back. "Nope, he never took the slack out of the rope. I guess he already knows how to stand tied, huh?" " How old was he when you started to teach him to tie?" My answer - "12 hours."
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

Kunena Birthday Module

• Doo Hume birthday is today
  • Foxfire123 birthday is today
  • Issac Maez birthday is today
  • NeliaShott birthday is today
  • Rockinanvil birthday is today
  • Txfarrier birthday is today
  • edie4ABF birthday is in 1 day
  • eldon8duffy birthday is in 1 day
  • DavidinGA birthday is in 363 days
  • Brazilian Farrier birthday is in 364 days
  • joplin_18_wren birthday is in 364 days
  • kbrooks1110 birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.