make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Thursday August 18, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks

All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 16 Feb 2007 15:54 #1

• holden_cj
For all those who use them i am trying to figure out if there are any out there that are portable with wheels or if you have to make them portable and also if wood are better then steel stocks Info is appriciated.

Cody
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 17 Feb 2007 02:37 #2

• vthorseshoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 55
Cody;
you have asked a question that I have pondered for quite a while.
You could put an axel under the stocks and a removable hitch on the front, but then even with stablizing legs you would have the hinderance of the wheels on each side.
You could put an axel under them with a bend in it so when you stopped hauling the rig, you let a lever down and the axel would lower the stocks to ground level. When ready to leave you pull the lever up and it would raise the axel and lock in for travel. ( a "U" shaped axel with side arms coming of each side of the "U" would work. The bottom of the "U" raised in the air would be travel mode. The "U" lowered would put the stock ground level.) But once again working around the wheels would be a nusiance.
You could put the stocks in a large wide goose neck trailer and make them permanent inside and haul them around that way. Loading the animal and doing the work inside the trailer.
You could load them on a trailer and unload them at the site like I did for a few yrs. I installed a battery operated winch to haul the stocks back onto the trailer when finished. (man power unloaded it unless there was something I could hook a chain to and drive out from under the stocks.
Stock modification.l Definitely something that needs to be done.
The front rest used for dressing the wall doesn't need to be slanted.
most of these leg posts are a bit high and should be only high enough to get the job done but keep the animal confortable.
A flat surface of 3" by 6" wide , would give support and working area.
The other side of the post where the leg is bent at the knee and strapped to the leg post "SHOULD BE SLANTED" and NOT flat.
The horses leg doesn't rest flat but actually at an angle and should be slanted so the natural bend of the leg can rest comfortabley.
I suggest cupping the slanted surface so the pastern sits inside and doesn't slide off to the outside of the post as it happens so many times. Strapped or not.
I keep waiting for a draft to snap his leg when struggling and it has slid off to the outside.
The front chest plate whether it swings open or is solidly attached should be raised a good 3" to 5".
The new drafts are 17H to 19H because the majority are raised as hitch horses. (it could be made where it is adjustable so if a shorter animal is put in it can be adjusted to the particular animals height.)
When you pull the front leg forward the knee always hits or bangs this chest plate. It is no wonder the animals get resistant to giving their legs.
Most stock floors are about 1 ft to short. Many of the new drafts hang off the back edge of the floor.
A better system of releasing the butt chains than the hole that they slide through. once unhooked.
More than one draft has started back to have the chain hang up and now the draft, in backward mode has all his weight on the chain and unless the stocks are secured to the ground it becomes a situation for it to flip over backwards with the horse still inside.
I have used 4 different systems and know there are better ways than the one that normally comes with the stocks that are sold.
The belly chains and the over the top chains encased in a rubber hose works really well and doesn't case any possible damage if a draft decides to lay down on them.
Metal stocks compared to wooden stocks I feel is going to depend on the person using them.
I built a really fine set of sturdy metal tube stocks and they were great ,but just as heavy as the wooden ones and weren't made to be broken down for travel.
I have seen the portable metal stocks in advertisementas and figure they should work well. Just wonder how strong they are when a really fractous draft gets upset in one. (but I would suspect the manufacture had taken that into account when building them)

I think either wooden or metal would work as well as the other if they are made sturdy.
The best permanent setup I use is at a large Belgian stable in Middlebury Vt that I shoe for. They have their stocks built upon a platform and I don't have to bend over at the waist to work on the draft.
I surely don't get sore in the back with this set up. The drafts all step up and enter the stock willingly and are comfortable.
Cody I hope this answers your questions and gives you some idea's.
Feel free to call me if you wish
1-802-888-7505 home
1-802 279-5367 cell
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
"you may not like what I say" !
-but-
"you'll never have any doubts where I stand
quote Cindy Matthews 1948-2006

I thought my life had come to a close with Cindy's passing, but there is life after death Thankyou Sharon !

Bruce Matthews
Southeast...

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 17 Feb 2007 04:54 #3

• SlowShoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
I should take a picture of mine. I bought them off an amish guy who pulled is behind his buggy. It has a removable tung, and removable wheels that are pinned in place. It sits level. I will take some pictures this week if you would like, unfortnataly It wont be with the wheels or tung on, but I will take pics of where they mount.

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 17 Feb 2007 08:55 #4

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
vthorseshoe wrote:
You could load them on a trailer and unload them at the site like I did for a few yrs. I installed a battery operated winch to haul the stocks back onto the trailer when finished. (man power unloaded it unless there was something I could hook a chain to and drive out from under the stocks.
How about some rollers on the trailer deck?

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 17 Feb 2007 12:55 #5

• vthorseshoe
  • Master
I actually tried rollers, Bill. I took some from a grocery store that they use to unload trailers . I had 2 seperate roller ramps.
They were heavy and ***bersome and always in the way.
-but-

I thought my life had come to a close with Cindy's passing, but there is life after death Thankyou Sharon !

Bruce Matthews
Southeast...

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 17 Feb 2007 23:18 #6

• matryoshka
Anybody care to post pics of having a horse secured in the stocks? And to show how the feet are secured for trimming/shoeing? One of my clients is purchasing a set of stocks so that her drafts don't try to kill me anymore. I've had to walk away from doing back feet too many times because of the kicking. Having a 7" foot come flying at you when trying to pick up a back foot is no fun. Luckily, the drafts I do are smallish, but still, I don't need to get kicked. I never knew horses could swing their hind legs so far out to the side when aiming a kick!

I'd like to be able to use them safely, so any tips that can help me trim the horse without either of us getting hurt would be appreciated. I like the tips above, but I think they'll make more sense once I actually have some stocks in front of me.
Crusader Rabbit Rides Again!

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 18 Feb 2007 21:23 #7

• holden_cj
Thank you guys very much any pics would be great.

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 19 Feb 2007 05:39 #8

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
Working horses in stocks is one of those things that realy helps to have an experenced hand show you the ropes (and pullys, chains and straps too).
Bill

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 19 Feb 2007 12:20 #9

When I first started (yes.. they had internal combustion engines back then) I saw a set of portable set of stocks that I have never seen the likes of since.
they were metal... had "cut-out" doors that hinged upward and out of the way to allow the farrier to stand close -
The leg clamps were driven by crank screws for horses that refused to pick up their feet-
The entire rig could be raised an lowered hydraulically so the shoer could stand upright-
I wish I would have taken some pictures of it then, I've never seen anything like it since.
It was something to see - looked like it was built professionally, you could position an foot however you wanted it, stand upright to trim, nail and finish.

Of course, the alternative would be to shoe good standing horses only.
Don Richardson

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 19 Feb 2007 17:23 #10

• vthorseshoe
  • Master
Drafthorse Shoeing School ?
I would be interested in working with someone else or have someone working with me.
in other words, I am interested in seeing a facility and course started for teaching interested parties in shoeing drafts/(mules). It doesn't have to be my school or it could be my school.
RIGHT NOW I WOULD LIKE TO GET A GROUP OF INTERESTED DRAFT SHOERS or INVESTORS together to discuss the possibilities of such a venture.

For more information see my other post on farriers general site.
or contact me at:

Bruce Matthews AFA #1300
Northeast Drafthorse Shoeing LLC
1719 Center rd
Hyde Park, Vermont 05655
1-802-888-7505 home
1-802-279-5367 cell
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
-but-

Bruce Matthews
Southeast...

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 19 May 2010 18:49 #11

Nobody posted any pics....I would be really interested in portable stocks ...anyone ???

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 19 May 2010 19:40 #12

• DavidinGA
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Actually, this is something I've been discussing with my uncle ( who also shoes) a lot here lately. I'd also love to see any photos of portable stocks that are ( or were) in use.

Thanks
David
David H. Van Hook

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 24 May 2010 14:27 #13

• HoustonFarrier
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I've been using stocks for 10 years now. I'm not sure about "portable" ones, as I don't *think* they be as stable as a big heavy oak set on concrete. For the "normal" quiet drafts, probably be OK, but if you got a rowdy one, I'm just not sure the portable ones would be safe from flipping over.

Steve
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal. - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 24 May 2010 14:30 #14

• HoustonFarrier
  • Very Senior Member
matryoshka wrote:
Anybody care to post pics of having a horse secured in the stocks? And to show how the feet are secured for trimming/shoeing? One of my clients is purchasing a set of stocks so that her drafts don't try to kill me anymore. I've had to walk away from doing back feet too many times because of the kicking. Having a 7" foot come flying at you when trying to pick up a back foot is no fun. Luckily, the drafts I do are smallish, but still, I don't need to get kicked. I never knew horses could swing their hind legs so far out to the side when aiming a kick!

I'd like to be able to use them safely, so any tips that can help me trim the horse without either of us getting hurt would be appreciated. I like the tips above, but I think they'll make more sense once I actually have some stocks in front of me.

Whatever you do...ALWAYS secure at least one, if not both hind feet. If not, they'll get their feet up under them, and you'll have a bone-fide WRECK on your hands.

Steve
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal. - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

RE:All Those Who Use Shoeing Stocks 24 May 2010 14:31 #15

• HoustonFarrier
  • Very Senior Member
vthorseshoe wrote:
Drafthorse Shoeing School ?
I would be interested in working with someone else or have someone working with me.
in other words, I am interested in seeing a facility and course started for teaching interested parties in shoeing drafts/(mules). It doesn't have to be my school or it could be my school.
RIGHT NOW I WOULD LIKE TO GET A GROUP OF INTERESTED DRAFT SHOERS or INVESTORS together to discuss the possibilities of such a venture.

For more information see my other post on farriers general site.
or contact me at:

Bruce Matthews AFA #1300
Northeast Drafthorse Shoeing LLC
1719 Center rd
Hyde Park, Vermont 05655
1-802-888-7505 home
1-802-279-5367 cell

Count me in, brother.

Steve
  • Page:

Kunena Birthday Module

• David Gill birthday is today
  • Jerry Downs birthday is today
  • my_quantum birthday is today
  • Omega Donisi birthday is today
  • Shelly Peterson birthday is today
  • Eric Fox birthday is in 1 day
  • FolsomBlues birthday is in 1 day
  • hezahottass birthday is in 1 day
  • s_steinberg birthday is in 1 day
  • Aaron Roberts birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.