make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Sunday September 25, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Argh!!!

Argh!!! 15 Oct 2006 23:31 #1

Whoops...here we go again...grumble grumble.

Argh!!! I need help!!

I'm pretty new to the farrier business and brand new to the forums. Pretty soon (next week) I'll be graduating from Kentucky's Horseshoeing School. I'm so lost as how to start my own business. I intend on apprenticing for a while, but I also want to start my business at the same time.

What do I do?! Theres registering my business's name, finding a truck, finding customers, and what about accountants and taxes?? How did you guys start? Any good advice?

:eek:
I apologize profusely for any inconvince my murderous rampage may have caused.
-Jamie
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Argh!!! 16 Oct 2006 00:25 #2

• J.H. shoeing
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
My suggestion is go to work for someone else first and all of those questions will soon be answered. Only hard thing to do is to get into a "good" apprenticeship. Don't limit yourself, apprentice under more than one person.
Jeff Holder

Some people are like Slinky’s, pretty much useless but make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

RE:Argh!!! 16 Oct 2006 00:43 #3

If you dont mind tell me about your school time. I'm considering going there.
Did you do the 2 , 8, 16, or 22 week session. Did you have any prior farrier experience when you went in?

I have been riding with a farrier for the past 2 years. I spend at least 1 day a week, during the spring and summer i do two days. He has given me many trims that he couldnt get to. That is the way Im getting my foot inside a barn. I now have about 60 horses i trim for and a few backyard horses i get to shoe. I work a full time job to support myself as well. Buy 1 or two tools a month.

Redd McIntyre
Redd McIntyre

RE:Argh!!! 16 Oct 2006 01:03 #4

I have nearly completed the 22 week course. You learn soooo much. Its just insane how much you learn. If you feel pretty good about your forging then I definately suggest the 22 week course. As it happens Im pretty slow at learning forging so it worked for me to learn the 16 week material over a longer time. It seems if you start in the spring time there are smaller classes. I started in May and there were only 6 of us when we started out, and two by the time the 16 week graduation.

I had zero farrier experience when I started and I feel that I can compently shoe a horse in a safe manner, though it takes me a while. Those with prior experience seem to do very well and some even get put with the more advanced classes when applicable.

I hoped I helped some! Glad to answer questions. :)
-Jamie
-Jamie

RE:Argh!!! 16 Oct 2006 01:16 #5

• Bo Terry
Don't be scared to get in the truck with a competent farrier. You'll learn more than you could ever imagine. Be selective also....if the guy runs late all the time, "whacks and tacks", and works til midnight, RUN AWAY!!! The only thing you'll learn from someone like this is alot of bad habits! If you have any CF or CJF's(RMF's, etc..), try to get with these guys. They have already demonstrated the ability to do exceptional work and have obviously been passionate about the trade. Usually they already have 110% of the business they want and are more than happy to send business your way.

Good luck!

Bo

P.S. Don't expect to get paid..the free education you'll get is worth more than you know!!

RE:Argh!!! 16 Oct 2006 02:37 #6

• Ron Oldenbeuving
  • Thank you received: 1
Bo Terry wrote:
Don't be scared to get in the truck with a competent farrier. You'll learn more than you could ever imagine. Be selective also....if the guy runs late all the time, "whacks and tacks", and works til midnight, RUN AWAY!!! The only thing you'll learn from someone like this is alot of bad habits! If you have any CF or CJF's(RMF's, etc..), try to get with these guys. They have already demonstrated the ability to do exceptional work and have obviously been passionate about the trade. Usually they already have 110% of the business they want and are more than happy to send business your way.

Good luck!

Bo

P.S. Don't expect to get paid..the free education you'll get is worth more than you know!!
That is just so spot on, especially the free education and excess work. I did that for ages, and we developed a good freindship too. Occassionally, we still do problem horses together, because it's so much easier and quicker. You'll know when its time to seriously head out on your own.
Ron Oldenbeuving
Accredited Farrier
South Australia

"What did they go back to before they had drawing boards?" :/

RE:Argh!!! 16 Oct 2006 16:18 #7

Unfortunately in this point of my life there's no way I can do an unpaid apprencticeship, but I definately intend on working much harder than my pay might suggest. I'm ready to do the jobs no one wants and get under the horses that are less than desireable. I also read and research and learn what I can after hours at school and will continue to do so. When its all said and done I may not be the most skilled farrier but I mean to be the most knowlagable. (wow I cant spell!).

That being said would anyone know a farrier looking for an apprentice in the Kansas City area? I do need to get paid something, I have college and horseshoeing school loans to pay off plus regular bills and Im still putting my husband through college! Doesn't have to be much, just enough to keep from starving. :D
-Jamie

RE:Argh!!! 16 Oct 2006 19:18 #8

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
MustangZen wrote:
That being said would anyone know a farrier looking for an apprentice in the Kansas City area? I do need to get paid something, I have college and horseshoeing school loans to pay off plus regular bills and Im still putting my husband through college! Doesn't have to be much, just enough to keep from starving. :D

How much do you think I should pay you to slow me down and teach you my experence, so that I can gross less per day to pay you out of.
How much did the horseshoeing school pay you to learn from them?
Any reasonable Farrier will pay you when you are making their income increce, but please don't ask someone to pay you to lose their income.
If you enter into a long term contract where they will have you earning for them in the long haul, that's different.
I've been at this a long time and when I spend a day with a better Farrier, I ****** on buying lunch and ales at the least.
My $0.02,
Bill

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:Argh!!! 17 Oct 2006 00:22 #9

I don't plan on slowing anyone down. As I see it, an apprentice is there to hand the tools, find the nails, fire up forge, and ask questions afterwards. Maybe do a trim while the farrier is doing a shoeing job. I've had six months of training at school, working all day and building up my stamina. I don't need to learn how to use tools from scratch, right now I'm working on speed (for shoeing, my trims are already decently speedy) and the business aspect. Also, I don't plan on being there for three months and knowing everything and just leave. I'm sure I'll need a year or more to get where I think I can do it "all by myself".

Thank you everyone on the advice so far. I really appriciate it.
-Jamie

RE:Argh!!! 17 Oct 2006 01:17 #10

• J.H. shoeing
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
Zenny (since I don't know your real name)

You may not plan on slowing anyone down, but you will.
Jeff Holder

Some people are like Slinky’s, pretty much useless but make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

RE:Argh!!! 17 Oct 2006 01:18 #11

• Bill Adams
  • Master
Well I am glad to see how much more confidence you have gained since your post at the top of the page!
With a attitude like that you will probably make a good Farrier. I mean that. You may want to take at least a couple of weeks to ride along with a couple of Farriers so you can have a better idea of how high to charge.
Welcome to the boards by the way. What's your name, so we'll know what to call you?
Give 'em h*ll,
Bill

RE:Argh!!! 17 Oct 2006 04:33 #12

• Bill Adams
  • Master
Jamie,
Just saw where you signed your name. Never mind that part of my last post.
I'll be ok in the morning.
Bill

RE:Argh!!! 18 Oct 2006 10:25 #13

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
MustangZen wrote:
What do I do?! Theres registering my business's name, finding a truck, finding customers, and what about accountants and taxes?? How did you guys start? Any good advice?
:eek:
For the business part of being in business you can start here:
www.sba.gov
www.bizmove.com
You shouold contact your local small business administration and they will assign you some "homework."

Join your local farrier association. If there isn't one, than get some folks together and start one!
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:Argh!!! 18 Oct 2006 11:02 #14

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
When you ride with another farrier try to arrange your schedule so that you ride on the same day each time. This will give you a chance over time to see the same horses shod on a schedule, like every 6 weeks. You probably didn't get much of a chance in school to shoe the same horses several times over a period of time. So you need to get some experience seeing the results of your work at the end of the shoeing cycle.

Riding with another farrier to the same account every 6 weeks (or whatever the schedule) will provide you with some education about the before and after part of shoeing that you might not see in school. Try to make an oppportunity to see the feet on a newborn foal and then visit that same foal every month for two years and observe the hoof development. Some breeds take 6 years to reach skeletal maturity. Although it will take you 6 years to observe that on an individual horse, you should be aware of the age of every horse you work on so that you know where each horse is relative to development. Over time you will observe young horses maturing into adults and adults horses turning middle aged, then geriatric. As horses go throught these phases of life their hoof care needs can change dramatically. You need to observe and "experience" these changes for yourself. If you meet a farrier that is working on lameness cases, try to follow his or her cases over time so that you can see the progression of these cases over time.
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:Argh!!! 18 Oct 2006 12:13 #15

• Ron Oldenbeuving
  • Thank you received: 1
Try also to find someone/s who dont stick to one type of horse. My former master (as do I) do everything from miniatures to draft horses, and every breed (actually, every bloody horse) have their own requirements. Different equine activities also require different solutions. Aint no way you're gonna see it all in a year, but you'll get a bloody good insight. Nobody too old to learn, and you should never stop and think you know it all, cos that's when you end up on your posterior, chin deep in manure.
Ron Oldenbeuving
Accredited Farrier
South Australia

"What did they go back to before they had drawing boards?" :/
  • Page:

Kunena Birthday Module

• clearhillsfarrier birthday is today
  • Creager7850 birthday is today
  • lindar131 birthday is today
  • Dennis Peveto birthday is in 1 day
  • ironmanhorseshoeing birthday is in 1 day
  • Robyn Beane birthday is in 1 day
  • vanderblij birthday is in 1 day
  • Viking farrier birthday is in 1 day
  • irideazippo birthday is in 2 days
  • McCutcheon969 birthday is in 2 days
  • RidingGrace birthday is in 2 days
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.