make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Tuesday September 27, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I found a truck

I found a truck 12 Sep 2006 22:58 #1

• Skinfaxi
Yup. I am picking up my new old work truck Saturday. Yay! It's an '85 350 xlt lariat dually diesel. Way more truck than I need, but I'm only paying $500.00.
I just wanted a full size diesel with ext. cab....boy did I get that, hehe.

It is a bit beat up, but not too rusty, and it runs. It does need the radiator flushed and new brakes. It would like the windshield replaced and some of the dents pulled out....If it lasts a year or two I'll be satisfied.

It is my first diesel and my first dually. I've only had F150's before.
What should I look out for as far as engine trouble, and how are they to work on? Mind you, it does run, the big problem is that is gets a bit hot at idle. I figured flush the radiator, and check the thermostat. If that fails, it was suggested to install an elec. fan to the radiator and run a toggle switch to the cab. ??.

What else should I do as a checkup and pre-use maintenance?

Edit: Dang, I thought I was in Equipment ect...Any mod care to move this? Sorry. :o
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:I found a truck 13 Sep 2006 00:00 #2

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
Skinfaxi wrote:
Yup. I am picking up my new old work truck Saturday. Yay! It's an '85 350 xlt lariat dually diesel. Way more truck than I need, but I'm only paying $500.00.

It is a bit beat up, but not too rusty, and it runs. It does need the radiator flushed and new brakes. It would like the windshield replaced and some of the dents pulled out....If it lasts a year or two I'll be satisfied.

What should I look out for as far as engine trouble, and how are they to work on? Mind you, it does run, the big problem is that is gets a bit hot at idle. I figured flush the radiator, and check the thermostat. If that fails, it was suggested to install an elec. fan to the radiator and run a toggle switch to the cab. ??.

Edit: Dang, I thought I was in Equipment ect...Any mod care to move this? Sorry. :o
The Navistar Powerstroke diesels are great engines . . . BUT!!! There is an additive that you MUST pun in the antifreeze every 10,000 miles or so. The additive is sold at Ford Dealers - it is called FW15. This product keeps the antifreeze from boiling holes in the engine block.

Something in the alloy used to make the powerstroke engines reacts with the antifreeze. The FW15 is a "sacrificial" additive which must be added to the coolant or eventually the block gets eaten away from the inside. If you have the owner's manual for the engine (different book than the owner's manual fot the truck) this topic will be covered. A powerstroke diesel should NOT get hot at idle, in fact they idle cold and require an exaust restrictor in order to make enough heat to warm the cab at idle in the winter. If she get's hot at idle, you might want to have her checked out by somebody who is certified to work on the powerstroke.

I hope your cooling problem is something simple. Repair costs on diesels can run into thousands of dollars. OTOH, if you keep the oil changed every 5000 miles, keep a clean air filter, and keep a clean fuel filter, they will give you about a million miles of service.

Bottom line, you will always be able to sell that truck for $500 or more if you take care of it.

Try this forum: http://www.powerstrokeforum.com
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:I found a truck 13 Sep 2006 01:13 #3

• Skinfaxi
Oh! Thanks so much Tom! :) I didn't know about the additive.

Oh, and the dually only has 140K miles on it and is automatic.

There are two trucks to pick from, for the same price. The other is a 3/4 ton gas. Late seventies/early eightys Silverado that drinks oil. :P I'm not sure it would make a better choice, though the body is better. What do you think?

Thanks for the link too.

EDIT: I don't think it is a powerstroke. It is an 1985 model. I find no powerstroke engines before 1994.

RE:I found a truck 13 Sep 2006 01:46 #4

• SlowShoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
The only thing I can add is those old diesels are slower than mallassis in january on canadian tundra. Though they pack plenty of torq and are quick out the hole, But I hope not too much highway travel is in order. I have to admit, our 87 f350 runs great. Its a tough truck! Also Tom, power strokes didnt come out till 95 or so. This is a non turbo 6.9 liter.

Josh

RE:I found a truck 13 Sep 2006 02:29 #5

• Skinfaxi
The only thing I can add is those old diesels are slower than mallassis in january on canadian tundra. Though they pack plenty of torq and are quick out the hole, But I hope not too much highway travel is in order.

That is the truth. I drove the thing Sat. First time driving such a truck, so I thought something was wrong with it. lol.

We will use it, but I want something lighter later. Right now the price is right and we need something/anything. It will be good for hauling our tools around for a while. I imagine it will be retired as a waterhauler/trailer mover after a couple years.

Thanks for the maintenince tips guys.:)

Sarah

RE:I found a truck 13 Sep 2006 06:43 #6

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
Skinfaxi wrote:
Oh! Thanks so much Tom! :) I didn't know about the additive.

Oh, and the dually only has 140K miles on it and is automatic.

There are two trucks to pick from, for the same price. The other is a 3/4 ton gas. Late seventies/early eightys Silverado that drinks oil. :P I'm not sure it would make a better choice, though the body is better. What do you think?

Thanks for the link too.

EDIT: I don't think it is a powerstroke. It is an 1985 model. I find no powerstroke engines before 1994.
Any major repairs on a diesel will cost more than the cost of replacing a gas engine with a factory rebuilt engine. If there's any way you can take the diesel for an extended test drive >100miles and make sure you do both highway and traffic driving. It would give you some confidence that it's not going to die when you drive it home for keeps.

Either way you could wind up having to invest several thousand dollars. You are gambling with $500 and hoping that you won't have to invest 3 or 4 times that much in order to have something reliable. I would go for the oil drinker if it didn't smoke or rattle. If it's just a matter of replacing a seal or a gasket, then no big deal. If the rings are sticking and oil is blowing by, you might still be OK, but you should have a mechanic do a compression test on the engine. I would go for the truck that has the best cosmetic appearance because that is important to resale value later on. Sometimes you can get a decent used engine out of a wrecked vehicle and swap it . . . maybe cost you another $500-$1500, but that depends on your mechanic's labor rate. An engine swap is about 8 hours of work for a decent mechanic. So if you have to go that route be prepared to pay for that amount of time plus the cost of a used engine.

If there's any way you can s****e together about $3000 you'll be into much better options for long term reliability. In that price range you can purchase something from a dealer with a 90 day warantee.

I know that $500 is a big chunk of change for you right now, but in a few years you might be making that much for a day of shoeing horses. What the heck, if you only spend $500 and the darn thing runs for 6 months and then dies, you made a really good investment. I paid $18,000 for my '03 F150. In another 3 years I will probably wear it out and probably spend $25,000 to replace it. So having a new truck every 5 or 6 years is going to cost $500/month - forever!

Good luck and safe truckin' :)
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:I found a truck 13 Sep 2006 11:31 #7

Check out http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/index.php it's a great site with some very knowledgable people.

Tim

RE:I found a truck 13 Sep 2006 15:37 #8

• SlowShoe
  • Master
I have to disagree Tom. Diesels are far more reliable than gas jobs. They are ussually more echonomical on fuel as well. Its not uncommon to get 500k+ out of a diesel (even the old ones). Gas motors are lucky if they get 200k. At 150k on that truck? That babys just broke in. =]

As far as maintanance, the diesel should not require any more than a gas truck. In fact it should require less. After all you don thave to deal with spark plugs, distributors, or ignition relatated timeing. Though one mechanical downside is they can be a pain to start in the winter. Especialy the old ones, so if you are in the cold climates plug that sucker in.

Also you DO NOT WANT TO RUN OUT OF FUEL. Make sure you keep your tank full. If you run out of fuel in an older diesel with a mechanical fuel pump, have fun priming the sucker on the side of the road. ;)

RE:I found a truck 13 Sep 2006 17:19 #9

• Skinfaxi
If there's any way you can s****e together about $3000 you'll be into much better options for long term reliability. In that price range you can purchase something from a dealer with a 90 day warantee.

I know that $500 is a big chunk of change for you right now, but in a few years you might be making that much for a day of shoeing horses. What the heck, if you only spend $500 and the darn thing runs for 6 months and then dies, you made a really good investment. I paid $18,000 for my '03 F150. In another 3 years I will probably wear it out and probably spend $25,000 to replace it. So having a new truck every 5 or 6 years is going to cost $500/month - forever!

Good luck and safe truckin'

I know what you are saying, but I figured the same thing. If it lasts 6mos-to a year I got my money out, and I'm planning on trading my '03 cavalier for a lighter truck in the semi-near future(though I do like the car, great mileage, and would like to keep it)

Especialy the old ones, so if you are in the cold climates plug that sucker in.

Also you DO NOT WANT TO RUN OUT OF FUEL. Make sure you keep your tank full. If you run out of fuel in an older diesel with a mechanical fuel pump, have fun priming the sucker on the side of the road.

Yeah, it's got a plug in. :) I NEVER get below a quarter tank....ever. So I won't. ;)

Thanks for that link Tim. Nice site.

RE:I found a truck 13 Sep 2006 18:11 #10

• smitty88
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 64
Skinfaxi wrote:

the best of luck with it
Smitty88
John Mc Loughlin

RE:I found a truck 13 Sep 2006 19:10 #11

SlowShoe wrote:
I have to disagree Tom. Diesels are far more reliable than gas jobs. They are ussually more echonomical on fuel as well. Its not uncommon to get 500k+ out of a diesel (even the old ones). Gas motors are lucky if they get 200k. At 150k on that truck? That babys just broke in. =]

As far as maintanance, the diesel should not require any more than a gas truck. In fact it should require less. After all you don thave to deal with spark plugs, distributors, or ignition relatated timeing. Though one mechanical downside is they can be a pain to start in the winter. Especialy the old ones, so if you are in the cold climates plug that sucker in.

Also you DO NOT WANT TO RUN OUT OF FUEL. Make sure you keep your tank full. If you run out of fuel in an older diesel with a mechanical fuel pump, have fun priming the sucker on the side of the road. ;)

I agree Josh. I've been driving diesels for the last 12 years and I couldn't go back to a gas truck if I had to. My wife used to drive a '01 diesel VW bug and it would go 47 miles a gallon, shes got an '04 cherokee now and it only goes about 22 miles a gallon. I'll keep paying the higher price for diesel fuel even though its not right. I can pull anything anywhere w/out worry. The mileage and long term service is where you will win w/ a diesel engine.

The only problem that I can see is all these Ford trucks that you folks drive..... :D
Chris Clark

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle."

RE:I found a truck 13 Sep 2006 21:42 #12

Sarah, here is another site with alot of knowledgeable people answering questions.
It is a monitored BB so your question will not show up until a monitor reads and passes it thru. Same with answers.

http://cartalk.com

Gary

RE:I found a truck 14 Sep 2006 01:30 #13

I may not me shoeing on my own yet, but Diesels I know. The update from ford for fw15 is fw16, or if you have an international dealer around, DCA4. I use and recommend RMI-25, Bob Riley sells is at Dieselsite.com. with the ford and navistar additive, you need to test the antifreeze for PH and nitrate levels. with out the additive, diesels without cylinder liners (most light trucks) and some with have problems with cavitation. the simplest way that it can be described is when each cylinder fires it creates bubbles which pop and as they pop, they errode away the water jacket.
these additives are called SCAs... supplement coolant additives.

the powerstroke went into ford light duty trucks half way through the 94 model year.
any diesel or mechanic questions, feel free to ask me and if you're close enough maybe I can help, this goes for anyone here. this is what I do for a living.
Jason Armstrong

"Another thousand horses"

RE:I found a truck 14 Sep 2006 03:40 #14

• SlowShoe
  • Master
Jason have you been doing any work with alternative fuels?

RE:I found a truck 14 Sep 2006 04:15 #15

• Skinfaxi
Yeah, I was wondering about Waste Veg. Oil and Biodiesel myself.

Kunena Birthday Module

• irideazippo birthday is today
  • McCutcheon969 birthday is today
  • RidingGrace birthday is today
  • trueworthy birthday is today
  • 56power65 birthday is in 1 day
  • Brenda-MI birthday is in 1 day
  • farriergodmother birthday is in 1 day
  • Jetikarabbit birthday is in 1 day
  • Myr_4089 birthday is in 1 day
  • texfarrier birthday is in 1 day
  • lindar131 birthday is in 363 days
  • Dennis Peveto birthday is in 364 days
  • ironmanhorseshoeing birthday is in 364 days
  • Robyn Beane birthday is in 364 days
  • vanderblij birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.