make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Tuesday September 27, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Paul Chapman Trimming Clinic

Paul Chapman Trimming Clinic 02 Sep 2006 21:06 #1

• matryoshka
I attended a trimming clinic given by Paul Chapman last weekend. I had not looked up any information about him online before attending, so I went totally open minded about what he was going to teach us. He's a fun guy to watch and listen to, but I found some of his ideas disturbing.

He presented his theories as "his opinion," which I found refreshing. What surprised me is that in his opinion, the horse is meant to bear weight on the soles. Just on the soles, not in conjunction with the walls. Rather than arguing with this, I listened to his presentation and learned his trim. He's got some other opinions that I've found out for myself. But his entire trim is based on the idea that the sole is supposed to bear weight. He makes sure that there are no pressure points on the sole left from the trim, and he takes the bars down pretty far. The frog gets trimmed so that it doesn't create pressure points, either. Taking care to remove pressure points made sense to me, but I'm not convinced the sole is intended to for primary weight bearing. I don't plan to adopt his trim, though I did like some of the techniques he showed us.

I'm wondering structurally how one would come to the conclusion that the sole is intended to bear much weight. The coffin bone is porous, unlike a bone that one would think should be carrying weight. He states that the idea that the wall is the primary weight-bearing surface comes from the farrier community and that most barefooter clinicians started out as farriers and their trims have been affected by this.

He nips the walls at an angle above the level of the sole. He states that this works great in Australia, where he trims 400 horses a month. He also believes that club feet come from heel pain, and that if one removes the heel pain, the club foot goes away.

He presented a lot of good information along with the things I have outlined above, but I can't quite get over his presenting such information as fact. What does the farrier community think about the idea of the sole being allowed/forced to bear weight by taking the wall back so far?
Crusader Rabbit Rides Again!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Paul Chapman Trimming Clinic 02 Sep 2006 22:27 #2

• Talkingshell
  • Contributing Member
matryoshka wrote:
He's a fun guy to watch and listen to, but I found some of his ideas disturbing.

What surprised me is that in his opinion, the horse is meant to bear weight on the soles. Just on the soles, not in conjunction with the walls. Rather than arguing with this,

But his entire trim is based on the idea that the sole is supposed to bear weight. He makes sure that there are no pressure points on the sole left from the trim, and he takes the bars down pretty far. The frog gets trimmed so that it doesn't create pressure points, either. Taking care to remove pressure points made sense to me, but I'm not convinced the sole is intended to for primary weight bearing.

He states that this works great in Australia, where he trims 400 horses a month.

I only jump in here as I am not farrier but feel free to delete me if I am not allowed in this section!

LOL.....please, please don't trim horses the idea of that the sole is supposed to bear weight!! Or you'll sore the horses!!

I had to laugh by Paul saying..that this works great in Australia, what a joke!! I hear few stories who trim that method, fair few horses were very lame with no wall to support as horses are not Camel or Elephants or whatever the animals are sole weight bearing! I am also from Australia.

Horses do need the hoof wall support to avoid the sole becoming weight bearing!

Good luck in what you believe in...

RE:Paul Chapman Trimming Clinic 02 Sep 2006 23:42 #3

• matryoshka
Don't worry, I don't buy into the idea of the sole bearing all the weight. I don't plan to adopt that part his trim. However, he does trim some highly successful horses in Australia (can't remember any names, sorry) and it seems to work for him.

I'm not fond of clinics, because it is just a snapshot in time. I'd really rather see horses he's done for a year or more rather than just see the horses before and after a single trim. I learn what I can, adapt anything that will be of help to the horses I trim, and file some away as questionable until I have more info.

RE:Paul Chapman Trimming Clinic 02 Sep 2006 23:47 #4

• Peggy Dolan
Well I'd say that the only way to know for sure is to test it on some horses. Any scientific premise should be verifiable and repeatable. I had my apprentice trim two arabians this afternoon. One is ridden almost everyday and the feet were well formed, the sole was level with the walls, and he only beveled the edges. The other was not worked, the feet were overgrown and flared. I had him trim the overgrown horse to match the look of the well worn feet. The overgrown wall was nippered at a 45* angle, but left longer than the sole. That's as close to a test as I can set up. I wouldn't try lowering the walls below the plane of the sole on a client's horse.
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.

RE:Paul Chapman Trimming Clinic 03 Sep 2006 01:45 #5

• calshoer
  • Guru
I agree that the hoofwall is NOT supposed to be the primary weight bearing structure. That had been one of the biggest misconceptions in hoof mechanics that is behind mis-guided old shoeing (and some trimming) principles and consequent long term shoeing induced lameness. BUT the sole should not be primarily weight bearing either.

The idea of the sole on the ground completely came from the observations on the feral horse herds that were gathered from the rockiest, hardest ,driest ground. Those horses were indeed walking on sole only.....BUT heres the catch that too many barefoot practitioners forget.....
Those feral horses also had a lifetime to develop 20mm or more of the hardest, densest sole you could imagine! Not the thinner weaker domestic soles we are trimming.
If you look at the more complete picture at domestic and feral, different environments etc, it seems that for a healthy foot the inner edge of hoofwall and the outer edge of sole in the anterior portion of the foot (ie the stratum medium and the sole callous) should be SHARING the load, along with the frog and back of the bars .
No single structure is primary weight bearing.
Even the feral horses who had all the wall worn off, none touching the ground, had a HUGE tough frog on the ground to share the load.
If you remove all that wall from a domestic horse, he may do fine IF he is in soft ground (sand) but try doing that and put him him immediately onto harsher ground and you may have a cripple for a while.
Gene Ovnicek (who did those feral horse observations back in '86-'87) found this out too. He quickly discovered the importance of leaving a little bit extra hoofwall around the toe corners when barefoot trimming. This little bit of wall(about 1/8" ) then compacts down on its own to the level of the sole callous in the days after the trim.
This helps avoid the possibility of a sore horse after the barefoot trim.
Patty
Patty Stiller CNBF,CLS
www.hoofcareonline.com

RE:Paul Chapman Trimming Clinic 03 Sep 2006 02:35 #6

• Rancho JD
take this from a desert rat: if your going to load the sole before its tough and conditioned inform owners that with this style of trimming the horse will be sore on the same ground it was comfortable with before you trimmed the wall off. bruising is likely and if ridden hard before the soles are loadworthy beware of pedal osteitis and or laminitis. start looking for new customers a few counties to the left
Hit on 16 stand on 17 and split those aces, merry christmas!
'panhandler' Reno, Nevada.

RE:Paul Chapman Trimming Clinic 03 Sep 2006 13:26 #7

• matryoshka
Thanks for the feedback. Paul told us that the horse will tell us when it is comfortable by weighting the foot and standing square. When I trim, I bring the inner wall back to about the level of the outside edge of the sole (don't exfoliate this part) and leave a little bit of heel. Then I add a bevel or a roll, depending on the hoof. One horse at the clinic was trimmed this way and stood nice and square on the hoof. Paul came around and shortened the wall further, and the horse looked less comfortable to me. In this case, the horse was telling me he liked having some wall in contact with the ground. :(

I'm not an expert, though, so I'm trying to stay open to what "experts" have to teach. I appreciate hearing input from the experts here, too.

When pulling shoes, I leave a bit more wall. I worry that these guys will be sore having their soles so close to the ground when they are used to having it up a bit. The next trim is when I give them my usual trim. These guys are rarely sore after having their shoes pulled.

RE:Paul Chapman Trimming Clinic 03 Sep 2006 17:42 #8

• Donnie Walker
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 3
I have a client with two thoroughbreds that have been turned out for over five years is some of the rockiest country we have. I never trim them but do look at them when I do his others. Not one piece of hoof wall is ever in contact with the ground except for the heels. They walk totally on their soles which are as hard as rocks. He also has a quarter horse with them but such is not the case. With the exception of the heels, the wall and sole share the same plane, and trimming is only necessary about every 12 weeks and consists mainly of bumping the heels and dressing the edges.

Kunena Birthday Module

• irideazippo birthday is today
  • McCutcheon969 birthday is today
  • RidingGrace birthday is today
  • trueworthy birthday is today
  • 56power65 birthday is in 1 day
  • Brenda-MI birthday is in 1 day
  • farriergodmother birthday is in 1 day
  • Jetikarabbit birthday is in 1 day
  • Myr_4089 birthday is in 1 day
  • texfarrier birthday is in 1 day
  • Pete Greig birthday is in 2 days
  • Pleasehelp birthday is in 2 days
  • UpNorthShoer birthday is in 2 days
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.