make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Friday September 30, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I'm interested in learning about being a farrier

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 18 Jul 2006 06:58 #16

• Peggy Dolan
Stacie,
As a woman farrier I don't think that the job is any harder than if I was a man, but it ain't any easier either. The school I went to did not spend much time on horse handling, and if you are not yet experienced I would highly recommend that you spend a considerable time learning that aspect of the work. Working in a big barn or horse ranch, even if it's as a volunteer, is a very good venue.

BTW, the nicest place that I ever worked at was Coto de Caza in south Orange County. The equestrian center was inside a high end, gated, private community. Big, covered, wide open area, out of the traffic aisles, just for farriers with lights, power, water, fans, rakes, brooms, dust pans, trash cans, cross ties....
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 18 Jul 2006 12:50 #17

• holden_cj
I think you need to read these vry carefully alot of us make our living doing what you want to do and we know what it takes and i would say if you go to school and come back and try to start shoeing you will be doing you and the horses an injustice. You have a long road to hoe you really need to pick up a horses foot and start buy just picking feet and read alot in all reality you will not be a (farrier and i use that term sparingly because some of these people coming right out of school calling them farriers they should be calling them butchers) for at least 5-10 years so you need to look at everything and find out if this is for you maybe acu-preasure or equine massage would be more a road to travel. PS farrier work is a whole different world of HARD work.

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 18 Jul 2006 22:31 #18

Alright, you all convinced me, or I convinced myself to get involved with horses! I actually would feel better if I got to handling and generally being around them. I am a little nervous, but I know that will wear off with time.

I also have books to read, etc., and I want to have a general understanding of horses before I do apply to a school :D

Becoming a farrier does seem like an ideal job for me, but I won't be 100% sure until I start working with horses. It just may change my mind :( But hopefully it will not.

I have been reading other posts and topics in this forum, and I must say, it is a pretty interesting profession. :p

I'll keep you posted on what I do :)

Cheers!

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 19 Jul 2006 04:33 #19

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
Stacie,
I have seldom seen critisizim and advice taken so well. Keep that atitude and you'll do well at Farriery and life as well.

Cordell,
I've never watched anyone shoe a horse that I haven't learned something from. That includes my own boys whom I've taught everything I know.
Bill

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 19 Jul 2006 12:42 #20

Stacie;
I am guessing that you are pretty young and have alot of time in your life to find that perfect career.
I feel that your biggest hurdle right now is getting introduced to horses.

If I were you, I would keep working the job you have now and start riding along with a farrier and a large animal vet on your days off.
Maybe the vet that you rode along with to float those teeth would be willing to take you along one day a week.

While riding with a vet or farrier you will be introduced to many barn owners and their horses. You could mention that you are interested in the farrier field and want experience with horses before you commit yourself to the life of a farrier. Someone may offer you a job.
The experience riding with eigther one will give you a very good scope of the personalaties of horses, the ones that are passave as well as the ones that fear you. You will get to see many different aspects of working with horses.

If you can ride along with a farrier you will have a chance to see much of the work that you may well be doing in the future. You will see the grit and grind of shoeing horses as well as the enjoyment in the job well done.

After riding along with each one awhile you will feel more confident in your dreams or, you will decide that farrier work is not for you.

Other than riding ponys that a family friend owned, in my childhood I had basicly no experience with horses. At 18 I bought my first horse and traded that for a better horse at 20. Soon our farrier was moving and I asked him to teach me to trim my own. He taught me how to trim (that poor patient horse standing for a 90 min. trim)and soon after that I decided to go to shoeing school. I have been shoeing for 29 years now and don't regret a thing.

Still, after farrier school, I worked a full time factory job untill the shoeing got too busy to work the factory job full time. Then I worked part time in a convience store 4pm to 10pm. That gave me most of the day to shoe horses.
It took me about 4 years to be able to rely enough on the farrier trade to quit the other job.

I do see that I was lucky though. I kept my horse at a place where many other horse owners would call for referances for farriers, traded horses there, traded saddles there, many bought their hay there.

I was also lucky that the area had few farriers willing to take many new clients and that the area has always been heavily populated with horses.
The heavy concentration of horses made it easy for me to concentrate my business in a smaller area than most farriers. After establishing myself in the business I was able to reduce my travel area to a radius of only 30 miles and have improved that and now 80% of my clients are within 20 miles. The point here is that, be sure that the area that you want to live in has a good population of horses for your future.

I know a few farriers in northern Wis. that travel over a hour to the next appointment yet they have to charge 30% less than we do in the southeast of the state.

I hope that some of this helps you.

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 19 Jul 2006 16:51 #21

Bill Adams wrote:
Stacie,
I have seldom seen critisizim and advice taken so well. Keep that atitude and you'll do well at Farriery and life as well.

Cordell,
I've never watched anyone shoe a horse that I haven't learned something from. That includes my own boys whom I've taught everything I know.
Bill

I know I don't have much experience and that I have to get some. I should, really, get in contact with a farrier and see if I can get that experience and see if this is the job for me. I don't want to rush into it and find out that I hate it after spending all of my savings to go to school. That would not be wise.

Although I found some words of advice to be discouraging, I know that if I find this job to be the one, I will work hard and honest inorder to be successful. Hard work is all I know.
:p

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 19 Jul 2006 16:58 #22

Gary Pfeiffer wrote:
Stacie;
I am guessing that you are pretty young and have alot of time in your life to find that perfect career.
I feel that your biggest hurdle right now is getting introduced to horses.

If I were you, I would keep working the job you have now and start riding along with a farrier and a large animal vet on your days off.
Maybe the vet that you rode along with to float those teeth would be willing to take you along one day a week.

While riding with a vet or farrier you will be introduced to many barn owners and their horses. You could mention that you are interested in the farrier field and want experience with horses before you commit yourself to the life of a farrier. Someone may offer you a job.
The experience riding with eigther one will give you a very good scope of the personalaties of horses, the ones that are passave as well as the ones that fear you. You will get to see many different aspects of working with horses.

If you can ride along with a farrier you will have a chance to see much of the work that you may well be doing in the future. You will see the grit and grind of shoeing horses as well as the enjoyment in the job well done.

After riding along with each one awhile you will feel more confident in your dreams or, you will decide that farrier work is not for you.

Other than riding ponys that a family friend owned, in my childhood I had basicly no experience with horses. At 18 I bought my first horse and traded that for a better horse at 20. Soon our farrier was moving and I asked him to teach me to trim my own. He taught me how to trim (that poor patient horse standing for a 90 min. trim)and soon after that I decided to go to shoeing school. I have been shoeing for 29 years now and don't regret a thing.

Still, after farrier school, I worked a full time factory job untill the shoeing got too busy to work the factory job full time. Then I worked part time in a convience store 4pm to 10pm. That gave me most of the day to shoe horses.
It took me about 4 years to be able to rely enough on the farrier trade to quit the other job.

I do see that I was lucky though. I kept my horse at a place where many other horse owners would call for referances for farriers, traded horses there, traded saddles there, many bought their hay there.

I was also lucky that the area had few farriers willing to take many new clients and that the area has always been heavily populated with horses.
The heavy concentration of horses made it easy for me to concentrate my business in a smaller area than most farriers. After establishing myself in the business I was able to reduce my travel area to a radius of only 30 miles and have improved that and now 80% of my clients are within 20 miles. The point here is that, be sure that the area that you want to live in has a good population of horses for your future.

I know a few farriers in northern Wis. that travel over a hour to the next appointment yet they have to charge 30% less than we do in the southeast of the state.

I hope that some of this helps you.

Yes, this does help. I am going to get in contact with the only farrier (I know of) here in Kingman. If he doesn't really want to help, there are two riding/boarding stables here I can ask. Even if I just take riding lessons I feel I can get some experience (more than what I have now).

Oh yeah, the vet whom I rode along to float the teeth, she was only temporary and was here for a couple of months. I do wish she would have stayed longer so I could go on more horse trips! It was fun!

And I am currently not working at the moment. I have applied to PetCo, but haven't heard a response back, yet.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks everyone for the advice! :D

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 20 Jul 2006 14:11 #23

Seek and ye shall find;
There must be more than one Farrier in your area. Here in a 30 mile radius there must be 6-8 farriers. The problem is, most don't advertise anywhere.
Ask around there must be more.
As for the vet there must be some horse vets in your area, check the yellow pages.
Also you could check the "Farrier finder" on this site. Even if one is 80 miles away, he may know of one close to you that may be interested in a ride-along.
My wife says you can ride with me if you're ugly and fat and over the age of 70. So trusting is she. :D

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 20 Jul 2006 16:52 #24

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
Find out where any USAE sanctioned horseshows are being held and when. Go introduce yourself to the show farrier(s) and ask them if you can hang out.
Then, just be a fly on the wall.
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 20 Jul 2006 17:14 #25

Gary Pfeiffer wrote:
My wife says you can ride with me if you're ugly and fat and over the age of 70. So trusting is she. :D

Whoa! We have a deal then!! :D

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 20 Jul 2006 17:15 #26

I am still looking! Called one yesterday and left a message, so far, no response, but I know he is probably busy! I am patient and can wait......

for the most part!

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 21 Jul 2006 14:22 #27

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
Darn Gary,
I wanted to come too, but I'll only be fifty next year.
Bill

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:I'm interested in learning about being a farrier 21 Jul 2006 17:36 #28

• AzCowboy
"Do something you like and you'll never have to work a day in your life." I can't remember who said it, but take it from a guy who has sat behind the same desk for 21 years hating almost every minute it, there has got to be some truth to it! I'm not a farrier but I have been around the block and I think if you have an interest in animals you will find a way to make it work, and enjoy almost every minute of it.
Horses have some basic insticts that are very predictable, and if you love animals you won't have any problem understanding horses. The difference is they can seriously hurt you without even trying. You have a choice, you can get kicked around by horses outside, or you can get kick around by people inside!
  • Page:

Kunena Birthday Module

• Bigjoe03 birthday is today
  • Chris Logan birthday is today
  • rich8xman birthday is today
  • Boston Chicken birthday is in 1 day
  • citycowgirl birthday is in 1 day
  • Akiakamai birthday is in 2 days
  • ixchup_scaper birthday is in 2 days
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.