make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Tuesday September 27, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hot Shoeing

Hot Shoeing 17 Jan 2005 15:38 #1

• John Barney
Anyone in central Missouri that hot shoes and wouldn't mind a rider for a few days? I use my forge for modifying shoes for square toes, trailers ,etc. but haven't been taught hot fitting. I would like to learn more before I start on my own. One big thing I see is with a cold shoe you can feel the fit, when it is hot is it done by sight or do you qwench it each time to check it? Just like to continue the neverending journey of farriery. Thanks

JB
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Hot Shoeing 17 Jan 2005 16:28 #2

Hi John,

Hot fitting is a bit different from cold shoeing. Be sure to travel with someone who hot fits as much as you can.

Maybe the trip is a little long but you'ld be welcome to travel with me. I ALWAYS hot fit. Even with aluminum and plastic. With those materials I use a flat steel plate to burn the foot flat. Whatever anyone will tell you nobody can trim a foot as flat as they can flatten out a shoe on an anvil face. So that's where the steel comes in. It smoothens out unavoidable trimming failures a little.

I was taught to HOT fit. Yes, lots of smoke. The reason is that when you really hot fit you get the chance to see the impression of the nailholes on the foot. That's a big help. Also the burned foot leaves a mark on the shoe so by looking at the hoofside of the shoe you can see exactly how the fit is. (No need to feel, although you can, just spit on your fingers a little and quickly slide them over the wall and shoe at the heels)

Further once you start to appreciate the importance of shoeing the coffin bone rather than the foot you can stop worrying whether the shoe has that special fit you're feeling for when you shoe cold. Shoe the foot so the shoe is where the foot ought to be. If you do that life will get a lot easier for both you and the horse!

Ronald Aalders
Attachments:

RE:Hot Shoeing 17 Jan 2005 20:44 #3

Good for you John, I started taking hot shoeing more serious and do it more often lately. I started by watching some of the good hot shoers in my area. I will write down the steps I go through. At first it seemed like such a waste of time, but after you do it a few times and come up with a system, it can be done like clock work and you will wonder how you got along without the Forge and find cold shoeing is too much work. Be carefull though, not all horses like hot shoeing and not all horse owner like it either. I have had people request that I do not hot shoe, I still shape it hot, then cool it down. Sometimes I notice it ******ing someone off, becuase they just asked me not to hot shoe there horse and I said no problem as I am lighting up my forge, they do not understand, that this is more for me than the horse. A few times I have fitted a horse hot, that supposedly could never be hot fitted becuase they are afraid of it and had no problem, but the owner looked at me and said, how did you do that??? I reply, forgot that your horse was afraid of that, must of got lucky. If you do things quick and don't make a fuss about it, most horses don't care. It is when people get all worked up that horses become concerned. Send the owner to get coffee or something.
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way, but must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer

RE:Hot Shoeing 17 Jan 2005 22:23 #4

• solidrockshoer
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 2
I would sure hate to be a cold shoer in Maine! I can feel the sting of the cold steel running up my arm! Being from the south any kind of cold weather even reset shoes go in the forge! Guess I'm a Candyass to cold weather! Gary

RE:Hot Shoeing 18 Jan 2005 00:13 #5

• cowboy_bc
  • Master
Hi all,

When I first started like everyone else I used a pritchel to burn shoes on and a lot of farriers I knw do but I found this to be shaky at best. So I went to work a built some hot fitting tongs as shown that work great and I used them for years but lately I have found that vice grips seem to work as well as anything. So what do you use?
Attachments:
Kevin Joseph Wheeler

Always strive to be the person your dog thinks you are.

if i was smart enought to spell properly I probably wouldnt be shoeing friggen horses for a living ay. Red Amor

If it don’t seem like it’s worth the effort it probably...

RE:Hot Shoeing 18 Jan 2005 03:17 #6

• solidrockshoer
  • Admin
I use vice grips with the inside edge ground off, about 1/4 in. That way you can feel the toe and really get a good burn! Good Luck! Gary

RE:Hot Shoeing 18 Jan 2005 03:18 #7

I need to get a new computer, ours is so old that I got a digital video camera for X-mas and the computer won't let me download the movies or pictures. I sure would like to post some of my pictures. Anyway, there are a few different ways to hot fit, Danver's wrote an excellent article in PF a few months ago. Anyway, I sink the dudes on, I mean take a deep breath, line up the shoe, and close your eyes cause the smoke is gonna pour off of the foot, but I trim the foot to allow for it. Others just touch the foot long enough to see the high or low spots and then rasp them level. I like the clips of my shoes to be flush with the hoofwall, the only way to get that is to angle them to the hoofwall and then sink the dudes in, you can do that in a seperate heat if you want, just get the clips hot or get the shoe hot and then "selectively" quench the shoe so that only the clips are hot and then burn them in seperately. I've had a few clients that objected but after explaining the benefits and showing them once they were hooked. Of course my wife doesn't let me in the house until I strip my "hoof smoke" filled clothes off, but I tell her it's the smell of money. She still won't let me in the house. One time I made the mistake of coming in when she was gone and sitting on the brand new furniture, that was last year and she still claims to smell hoof smoke in the chair. The spit on the fingers trick is a good one, but you will forget one day, that's when you start to build the "burn calluse". This is your best friend when it comes to hot fitting. I use the W brand hot fit tongs and with a little grinding they are great. Most of the time when fitting new shoes I will first bring the foot forward and just hold the shoe to the bottom that way I can see where it need adjusted. Good luck and remember there is no smoking in the barn.
Dave Purves CF ;)
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBimQu6Pxxs

RE:Hot Shoeing 18 Jan 2005 04:12 #8

• J.H. shoeing
  • Master
I use needle nose vise grips after they have been adjusted with the grinder. It allows you set the shoe down and pick it up if you have trouble getting the foot up. Also they are inexpensive, off brand are $2.99, at the industrial supply house. I grind them down where the jaw will fit into the nail hole. I use the same pair on 000's to 5's.

Jeff
Jeff Holder

Some people are like Slinky’s, pretty much useless but make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

RE:Hot Shoeing 18 Jan 2005 08:09 #9

I just forged the ends of my tongs, you know in this hot fitting shape. Works great and it's fast too. When done forging put the shoe on your anvil and pick them up with the ends of the same tong you've been working with. And those won't cost you anything! Just square the ends and give them a nice curve.

O I almost forgot, I always use a fan. I have this 18" fan blowing when I fit the shoe to get rid of the smoke. In winter I turn it off when not fitting but in summer I leave it on, sometime use two.

Ronald Aalders

RE:Hot Shoeing 19 Jan 2005 04:16 #10

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
Hot shoeing is the only way. That's because the best shoers I've ever wached allways did it hot. I don't ever want to have to explane to someone why I didn't shoe their horse the best way posible.
When an owner is concerned that the horse may not like the smoke, I tell them that they used to run horses toward fireing cannon while shooting a gun from their back, so we can train Ol' Pokey to stand a little smoke.
As to hurting the horse, I explain that I can and have burned horses, but I have nippers, nails, and knifes that I can kill'em with too.
I have one client that is real nervous about burning and I caught her "timeing" me by counting off seconds.Without her noticing, I got a peice of hoof triming and set it on the foot between the hot shoe and foot and let 'er boil. It got the disired efect and almost put the client in therapy.
I'll try to lighten things up for the faint of hart by asking if they have heard of second hand smoke. Then I inform them that I am making "second foot smoke".
Over the years I have had a far more positve responce than not, because the shoes stay on better and the real hoesemen know what's right.
John, you'll find it second nature in no time, espesialy that you are on the right track with the forge work.
What Ron said about aluminum and plastic is right on. It will seal the hoof tubuals too. I use a new flat steel shoe for that job as I don't curently have a nice steel plate, yet. My hot tongs are like Ron uses, and I ground a knoch in one side of the tong jaws to hold a shoe thats fullered but dosen't have nail holes yet.
Always shoe hot,
Bill

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:Hot Shoeing 19 Jan 2005 11:02 #11

When you think about it, who wants to shoe a horse that is afraid of smoke and noise anyways. This indicates more training is needed. The ones that stand there quitly for hot shoeing are the good ones. Ever notice that the horses that do not tolerate hot shoeing also give there owners trouble on the ground and in the saddle. Could use hot shoeing as a way to find out what your getting under.
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way, but must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer

RE:Hot Shoeing 19 Jan 2005 20:16 #12

John,
Chris Gregory's school, Heartland Horsehoeing School, is in Lamar. That is about an hour north of Joplin in the SW corner of Mo.( I abbreviate, because very time I type Missouri, it comes out misery. While I was in school there, my wife worked 70 plus hours a week at Freeman hospital. She was in constant misery, so was immune to the rural charm of the state! She calls it "misery' and after 9 years, we seem to be melding into one insanely similar being :eek: ) He runs, or did run, customized courses in February. You might be able to spend a day, or a week working out what you want to learn. It might be worth a try.
Jason
"Always listen to the experts. They tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it." Robert Heinlien
Jason Maki CJF, RJF

RE:Hot Shoeing 20 Jan 2005 02:42 #13

Trying Heartland Horseshoeing School, Chris Gregory may have a list of people close to you--he's in Lamar. I went to school there and that's all we did was hot shoe......

RE:Hot Shoeing 20 Jan 2005 05:02 #14

• Jack Evers
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 45
Bill's comment on second foot smoke reminds me of a client a few years ago who had just gotten a cigarret out when I started to hot fit one. He put the cigarret back in the pack, the pack back in his pocket and said "kinda spoils your appetite". Personally I don't think burned hoof smells that much worse than most cigs, but there is a lot more smoke.

Jack
Jack Evers CJF AFA#426

The best things about the good old days -- I wasn't good and I wasn't old.

The older I get, the more horses I shoe, the fewer things that I can absolutely, positively fix.

RE:Hot Shoeing 21 Jan 2005 00:01 #15

Gary Hill wrote:
I would sure hate to be a cold shoer in Maine! I can feel the sting of the cold steel running up my arm! Being from the south any kind of cold weather even reset shoes go in the forge! Guess I'm a Candyass to cold weather! Gary

It is cold............."How cold is it Phil?" ...........It is sooooo cold that the flame in my forge froze :eek: Even the horses get wimpy after awhile. Below zero is kind of deceptive, you step outside and it is so cold it almost feels warm then before you know it, your freezing.
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

• Page:

Kunena Birthday Module

• irideazippo birthday is today
  • McCutcheon969 birthday is today
  • RidingGrace birthday is today
  • trueworthy birthday is today
  • 56power65 birthday is in 1 day
  • Brenda-MI birthday is in 1 day
  • farriergodmother birthday is in 1 day
  • Jetikarabbit birthday is in 1 day
  • Myr_4089 birthday is in 1 day
  • texfarrier birthday is in 1 day
  • Pete Greig birthday is in 2 days
  • Pleasehelp birthday is in 2 days
  • UpNorthShoer birthday is in 2 days
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.