make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Tuesday September 27, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I give.

RE:I give. 10 Feb 2006 21:49 #16

• Skinfaxi
I did that though, for eight months, 9-11 hours a day six days a week, plus feeding on Sunday(for $250 a wk) at that barn. Not counting when I spent time with the trainer and covered for her(just exersize/longline) with the in training show horses for a couple days, and rode her lesson horse for exersize whenit was slow. Is that not experience. I successfully trained a horse that the professional was struggling with. I went for a trail ride with a winning barrel racer that lives next to my parents. I took my older re-trained horse, and at the end of the ride she offered to buy him for her young son. I don't feel like handling is a problem for me.

I know what my problems are. People...well talking to them and being the way they want me too. Not good at that....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:I give. 10 Feb 2006 23:49 #17

• solidrockshoer
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 2
You just need a little confidence in yourself! I can't imagine haveing to shoe horses in the Northern states during the winter! I lived in NJ for two years but I had a Million dollar barn that had heated concrete floors so I managed to be OK. Staying busy everyday is hard when your just getting into the business let alone going through the down time of harsh weather. Heck I'll admit I'm a candyass when it comes to cold weather even with my forge blowing like crazy, just too thin blooded I guess. ANYWAY surely the local farrier assn up there could point you to someone near you? Again maybe Rick will take you under his wing-just make him use deodorant! Good Luck! Gary

RE:I give. 11 Feb 2006 01:36 #18

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 1
Skinfaxi wrote:
I cannot afford school, I havn't been able find a mentor without going to school.
I suggest you attend one of the farrier programs at a community college, such as Walla Walla in Washington. I think if you really check into it you will find that with all the funding avenues available it a whole lot easier to fund school than you think. There is so much education funding available out there with loans, grants, scholarships, and work study programs. That anyone who wants to go to school can. You just got to want it bad enough.

Gary
Gary Miller, PF

Ride hard, shoot straight, and always speak the truth.
Gunfighter Motto

"Our level of quality is how well our eye can see it." (Eric Russell, Oct 2008, Horseshoes.com)

"Discover what it is that makes you passionate then grab a firm...

RE:I give. 11 Feb 2006 02:25 #19

• Skinfaxi
I have considered the option of taking a collage course. I just had MAJOR reservations about class size, one on one with the instructor and quality. I want to go to Shurshod. I emailed Max and he seems great. 6 to a class, and I can buy extra weeks to extend my training in any direction I need to. Then I was going to go to Heartland for the advanced and Journyman courses before my testing. That is my PLAN(< me being my anal retentive self) I may be forced to reconsider my PLAN, huh?

I called Rick once, and left a message. I guess he didn't get it, or he was having trouble or was busy or something cause he didn't call back. Everyone MUST call Rick(not really or he might add you to the list), just to hear his answering machine message. I had to stop and compose myself before I could leave a message.

Like I said, I was just very stressed when I posted that. You all have settled me down again. Thank you very much.

RE:I give. 11 Feb 2006 13:08 #20

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
Sarah

I must have missed your message. I live in Champaign and my service area covers a wide area. You're welcome to ride with me anytime, the house has an extra bedroom and we even have indoor plumbing.

Rick
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:I give. 11 Feb 2006 14:24 #21

What about piped heat?
Jason
"Always listen to the experts. They tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it." Robert Heinlien
Jason Maki CJF, RJF

RE:I give. 11 Feb 2006 15:38 #22

• wwhite1973
Originally posted by Skinfaxi
Everyone MUST call Rick(not really or he might add you to the list), just to hear his answering machine message. I had to stop and compose myself before I could leave a message.

Rick it's great you have indoor plumbing, I am looking forward to having it someday but don't want to put "cessapol" out of business, BUT you have to share the answering machine message with us!! All those in favor say aye!

Wayne
AFA Member #10310 IRB Thoroughbred Licensed Blacksmith
Please! Don't steal. The government doesn't like the competition!

RE:I give. 11 Feb 2006 16:18 #23

Rick, I want to hear your message. I get a feeling it is a good one.

Well there you go Sarah, I do not know Rick personaly, but from what I have seen on this forum, I think you will get a good education. There is no doubt your buttons might be pushed, but hey that is an education also. Take what comes your way and as John Blombach says "The work will teach you"

Here is your chance for greatness. An ole timer once told me "Dare to be great"
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way, but must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer

RE:I give. 11 Feb 2006 20:31 #24

• Red Amor
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 22
Any beer in the fridge Rick

I'll be right there ;)
burp%$# bewdy
Mark Anthony Amor
If we want anymore excrement like that outta you we'll squeese ya head :eek:
Mind how ya go now ;)

RE:I give. 12 Feb 2006 01:50 #25

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
Red Amor wrote:
Any beer in the fridge Rick

I'll be right there ;)
burp%$# bewdy

Always, and for you, I'll even stock some Fosters if thats what it takes to get you here!
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:I give. 12 Feb 2006 02:01 #26

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
Phil Armitage wrote:
Rick, I want to hear your message. I get a feeling it is a good one.

Well, it goes like this:

Thanks for calling Tinkers Damn Forge!
Please select from the following menu:

If you're a salesman or telemarketer hang up now and DON'T EVER CALL BACK!

If you're calling to speak with our staff farrier about making an appointment, solving a problem or answereing a question, either wait for the beep and then speaking slowly and clearly, leave your name, telephone number and a brief message and he'll get back to you as soon as he can. Or, just press 1 now, and do the same thing.

If you're calling to leave a personal message for Rick, press 2 now

If you're calling to speak with Sumie(wife) or Kiko(daughter) press 3 now.

Thanks again for calling, and have a nice day.

My answering machine message used to say:
A little neglect can cause a lot of harm:

For want of a nail a shoe was lost
For want of a shoe a horse was lost
For want of a horse a rider was lost
For want of a rider a kingdom was lost

This is Rick and I'm out making sure no kingdoms are lost, so leave a message and like Sir Gallahad, I call you back to save your kingdom too. :D

There was also a time when I had a singing(well, it was music to MY ears) message. It included an actual anvil chorus. But thats fodder for a different cannon.
Rick Burten PF

."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:I give. 12 Feb 2006 04:36 #27

Sarah,

Your post has been something for me to cogitate upon during drive time this week and I can offer this:

If you are trully inspired to become a farrier- you will become a farrier regardless of the obstacles in your way!

Perserverence comes from within, either ya got it or ya don't, period.

Looking back over the years at some difficult times while in business, I have preservered through all manner of hardships, and guesss what? I am still improving my clientele base, I have been doing farrier work full time now since '98 and am looking forward to many more years of this wonderful trade!

Excluding the personal hurdles of a wayward son trying to flex his independence enough to warrant all manner of family counseling and special programs and still ending up in a juvenile facility; and excluding the disintegration of a 7 year personal relationship because "he" couldn't handle the independence and the time investment my new trade was demanding of me; there were the environmental hurdles:

There was a freak 100 year storm that wrecked my home,which the meteorologists didn't label a hurricane or a tornado- but nevertheless the damage was just the same.

Then there was a summer long firestorm that engulfed the entire state of Florida in '98 (which was the year I actually went full time in this trade). The firestorm forced the evacuation on daily and weekly basis of entire counties, which made for really interesting scheduling as well as the time away from doing footwork to help in the evacuation of horses. One day as I traveled to a barn, I saw a smoke column about 10 miles distance from the highway, two hours later it had burned up to and even jumped that same highway! Another day I started out and couldn't proceed because the roads were closed. another day several other motorists and I were hemmed in by fires and had to sit tight for hours until the fire crews could clear an exit path! The fires started in April and finally were under control and on their way to being put out in August!

I'm sure the news of the recent hurricanes have travelled across country. While the four hurricanes two years ago were probably a "freak" happenstance. There was another one last year that affected my service area and two others prior to 2004. Seven hurricanes over the course of 10 years! Tornados seem inconsequential after the hurricanes, but there have been three that had a detrimental influence on my business.

My own horse has had an influence on my business when she came down with West Nile and needed daily intensive care for weeks. Her occassional colics and escapes have interupted my service calls too - but luckily most folks understand.

There have been a few health issues I overcame like two severe bouts of kidney stones. A sprained back. Bronchial pneumonia every year until 2004 when a new doctor diagnosed and began treating my Asthma brought on by literally being allergic to everyhting! (Doc said I ought to live in a bubble- I told Doc to get me some GOOD drugs as I was NOT about to quit what I enjoy doing), a broken neck( caused by a client's horse), gall bladder surgery, worked with an ingrown toe nail for 4 years because I was too chicken to get the Dr. to rip it out, last summer's tromple and resultant hematoma- which is ALMOST completely healed, and the most recent nail skewering of my calf.

Currently my Dad has been in the ICU for a week and I have had to rearrange schedules in order that I can visit with him.

Major mechanical hurdles overcome have thankfully been relatively few: A transmission in a 98 S-10 and full brake system rework. A rear axle seal (soon to be complete axle replacement) in my 99 Ranger. Normal maintenance and wear and tear don't count, but still leave you lacking in several days worth of income at times.

Being an absolute "Sole proprietor" without a "support team" at home to help out means that the farrier business is not just a job- it is my life! and I thoroughly enjoy it! You may have to determine if you are trying to just change jobs - or actually begin a new life! WHile many farriers are out there doing this a s a part time- beer money only - paying hobby - you have to determine what you want from this business for yourself!

So I guess what it all boils down to, is how serious you reallly really are about becoming successful! While businesses in the trades don't get up to full steam overnight. There are ways to market yourself and improve your clientele as well as your exposure to the market without a HUGE outlay of cash. Mostly time investment is necessary. They can't call who they don't know! You have to be seen! Go to horse club meetings, frequent feed stores, check with your local coperative extension office, contact local 4-H and FFA chapters, frequent horseshoe grounds and start playing on your anvil - you do have an anvil don't you? Make up some flyers, hand them out, talk to people - DON'T be shy! Do some cold mailings to prospect for clients by driving down a raod and noting the addresses of houses with horses, then drop them a postcard advertising your services. I did just that and got a 4% ccall back on my mail outs! Some of those folks I am still doing today!

Don't take it personal when a client drops you for someone else. Keep shopping yourself for your ideal clients!

But if you are willing to throw in the towel this soon- then maybe you aren't cut out to be a farrier and need to look into another horse care position that may suit you better.

regards,
Kim
Regards,
Kim

Those who only consider cost, do NOT consider the cost to the horse!

The more we know, the more we know we need to know more! Ya know?

RE:I give. 12 Feb 2006 13:37 #28

Sarah,
Life is full of twists and turns and quite honestly i'm still not sure I know what I want to be when I grow up. Try to stay in today and work on those things you really have control over in your life.

Some days I am overwhelmed and just have to have lots of acceptance of things I cannot change.

You seem to have the willingness to participate in your own learning of the trade. Stick to it and loose your reluctance and you will suceed admirably. Good luck.

Phantom :)
"The work will teach you how to do it"

RE:I give. 12 Feb 2006 14:56 #29

Paraphrased: Pick a direction, put your head down, suck it up and press on! If it was easy, they would let girls do it! As a boy, I just fell into a 250 horse, six figure business... ;)
Jason
"Always listen to the experts. They tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it." Robert Heinlien
Jason Maki CJF, RJF

RE:I give. 12 Feb 2006 17:56 #30

• Skinfaxi
To all who tell me to just bull it out. I know you are right. I have known all along that this was a 24/7 thing not a 9-5 or weekend thing. I don't want it to be. I love it enough to want to never do or think of anything else(except those forced vacations). I am fine with the hardships and potential for crippling injury(strange thing to be comfortable with..hehe.) There are still times that certain things in a persons life, cause a "will be" farrier to pause for a moment. To consider and reconsider the changes that going on with it will require.

I may have to change my plans and go to a collage for my initial formal education weather or not I want to. There are people in my life that mean alot to me, and are verbally supportive. However, when it comes to financial/time investment, try(subconciously? or I just let them/think they do)to ease me away from what I want. I,at this time, may be allowing others to influence me too much. I have been doing for others for so long, it is going to be a gradual adjustment to doing what I need. Some times I think that if I just threw away eveything around me it would be FAR easier for me. That may be true, but it can be a hard thing to do. Harder than giving up, harder than the rank horse you were just under. Hard things are done, but sometimes they take time.

Forgewizard: I do not have an anvil. I neither require one just now, as I am merely trimming, or have the funds to run out an buy one. When I can get one I will. I will have one before I start shoeing school, I know I will need TONS of forge time before hammering on a hoof. I am building a forge and have a length of RR track to hammer around on. Not the best for learning to shape, but better than nothing.

Jason Maki: Just so you know, they DO let girls do it ;). And good for you :P.*chuckles*

Kunena Birthday Module

• irideazippo birthday is today
  • McCutcheon969 birthday is today
  • RidingGrace birthday is today
  • trueworthy birthday is today
  • 56power65 birthday is in 1 day
  • Brenda-MI birthday is in 1 day
  • farriergodmother birthday is in 1 day
  • Jetikarabbit birthday is in 1 day
  • Myr_4089 birthday is in 1 day
  • texfarrier birthday is in 1 day
  • Pete Greig birthday is in 2 days
  • Pleasehelp birthday is in 2 days
  • UpNorthShoer birthday is in 2 days
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.