make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Saturday November 26, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: GOT MATH ??! I need to vent...

GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 26 Jan 2006 01:40 #1

• T.L. Buck
Last week I purchased a burger and fries at McDonalds for $3.58.
The counter girl took my $4.00 and I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies. While looking at the screen on her register, I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help.

While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:
Teaching Math In 1950
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1960
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20 Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 1990
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living?

Topic for class participation after answering the question:
How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes?

(There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In 2005
Un ranchero vende una carretera de madera para $100. El cuesto de la produccion era $80. Cuantos tortillas se puede comprar?

:D :D
~ Buck - Farrier

Main Entry: 1ex·pert .. Pronunciation: 'ek-"sp&rt, ik-'
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin expertus, from past participle of experiri
1: eX ... is an unknown factor.
2:...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 26 Jan 2006 02:35 #2

• Ben-Sturman
Buck, I'm in AZ and that's so dang true and yet so funny I can't quit giggling everytime I think about it. What a harsh truth. Thanks for the laugh. :D

Ben
Ben Sturman

They said, "Be a horseshoer, it's the only job you will ever get a KICK out of!" :D

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 26 Jan 2006 02:41 #3

Did I just log onto "RushLimbaugh.com"?
Ditto's!
I spent major $$$ this summer to send my 5 year old to Sylvan Learning because the public schools tested him and his scores had him just to the upswing side of the bell of Forrest Gump. Sylvan tested him and had him just on the downside of the bell of a Rocket scientist(top 2 percent). They had him reading in two weeks and the public schools said he diid'nt know the alphabet????
He goes to school to be with kids but we are responsible for his primary education, IMO.
Jason
"Always listen to the experts. They tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it." Robert Heinlien
Jason Maki CJF, RJF

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 26 Jan 2006 03:04 #4

• T.L. Buck
It has a LOT of truth to it. It is sad but what has happened to our learning process. I learned from the back of my dads hand. Now days it's punishable with imprisonment. Holy Cow!
~ Buck - Farrier

Main Entry: 1ex·pert .. Pronunciation: 'ek-"sp&rt, ik-'
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin expertus, from past participle of experiri
1: eX ... is an unknown factor.
2:...

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 26 Jan 2006 09:34 #5

You tend to find the average IQ of a mcdonalds server increases at the weekend. this is because the ones that work there during the week do it because that's the only place that'll have 'em full time, and the ones who work at the weekends are students trying to earn some spare cash. Next time only attempt inflicting a complex mathematical equation like this on a saturday or sunday. BTW i tried to get a weekend job at Maccas when i was an apprentice but they wouldn't have me cos my hands wouldn't scrub clean enough !! :D
In the Kingdom of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man is King :)

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 26 Jan 2006 10:19 #6

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 3
A couple aspects to this I think.

First people are lazy and do what they have to do. I go into stores and gas stations where there are some pretty old folks running the register. The new registers take as input the amount tendered and give as output the change due...so no one even knows how to count your change back to you. Regardless of how they come to the answer there is a right and a wrong way to count the change back to the customer and just stating the return amount and plopping a pile of money in your hand is the wrong way. Many of these people are old enough to have been doing this without the help of machines but they don't have to any more and they don't remember how.

Had you given her the $0.08 in time for her to punch it in she would have had it but she needed the machine.

Then there's this
Teaching Math In 1990
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living?

Topic for class participation after answering the question:
How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes?

(There are no wrong answers.)

The public school is a great place to send a child for a good solid left wing brainwashing combined with a fairly complete indoctrination into relativism.

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 26 Jan 2006 19:04 #7

• ichabod1
Hello -

I've been lurking here for awhile, even tried to post a time or two without success, had to get the admins to fix that for me . . . anyway, I had to comment on this subject. I went to a Subway sandwich shop for lunch a couple days ago. The lady running the register looked to be 50ish. When she rang up my purchase she apparently didn't do it correctly to where it would tell her how much my change from a $10 bill would be. She stood there kinda bumfuzzled and finally turned around to a pocket calculator to figure it up. She couldn't count money.

I'll probably be doing most of my posting under the 'business help' section here as my son is leaving for farrier school in just over a week. I will be helping him with his accounting/bookkeeping etc when he gets back and starts his business. Y'all pray for me. LOL

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 26 Jan 2006 21:19 #8

• Kaydence
  • Very Senior Member
It is time for a mea culpa. In attempting to respond to Kaydence's excellent post, I hit the wrong key and sent her reply into the nethers.

My deepest and most sincere apologies. This was a total and complete screw-up on my part. The error is of my doing and has no explanation other than ******ity and lack of attention to detail on my part.

Rick

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 26 Jan 2006 21:30 #9

Okay now...I resent this "older people' and "she looked 50ish". I am 57 and I can do big math in my head. It's not the age, its what they have been taught and IF the have the gray matter to work with. :confused:
Until I was 15, I was educated in Montreal, Canada where you had to learn, understand AND pass the exams to get into the next grade. Today is very different. It is not the student's fault, its the system and the lower value the 'family' has put on education and supporting our teachers so they can teach without spending most of their time trying to keep order in their class rooms.
'Spare the rod and spoil the child' may be old but it has merit. I raised 3 boys and a foster boy and all of them are responsible, capable, intelligent nice men....one just left his business job to go to Farrier School and I am thrilled. He is an outdoor guy and loves animals. He hated working inside, but he can do math in his head! My point is, teach your kids if they aren't getting it at school. Get them tutors if they need it and then accept what they want to do. The money on education will NEVER be wasted. :) Thanks.

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 27 Jan 2006 15:55 #10

• ichabod1
linda - I didn't mean no offense by saying 'she looked 50ish' . . . heck, I'm 50ish myself. I only meant that she wasn't no teenager with which we're usually associating this lack of knowledge with.

It just amazes me that anybody can't make simple change out of a $10 bill.

And, like mentioned above, don't dare trying giving them the extra coins to try and make it more simple, it just blows their minds completely.

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 27 Jan 2006 17:23 #11

• Post-Equ
Huh figure I would jump in as a student. I totally understand, doing math in your head should be something everyone knows by the time they leave school. I wish I was a lot better at it then I am. I'm totally an utterly dislexyic, but they threw me in the reading tutoring and ignored math til I was in high school. The school jus kept me behind a year and didn't bother to work on it til later, then I finally got a teacher who wanted to help me figure it out. I ended up finishing what I needed to on the required math an took accounting which is useful and did well (big shocker for my old teachers). My feeling is, if we worked on things like normal math something we might use and not having to do the stuff for algebra and other funny math. Then just stuck with the stuff that would help us in the real world and not just on testing everyone would be better for it, along with making sure we know the stuff before starting on the next part. Of course I was never put in the real world math courses until I signed up for them myself or put in them for college (from what my tests for college said I'm to ****** for other more advanced courses.) But all I have to say to that is HA least I can balance my own check book! Ok so now that I rambled on and possibly just made no sense I should go and do that math homework :(
I gave up horses once.
It was the scariest weekend of my life..........
:rolleyes: Lauren

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 27 Jan 2006 17:48 #12

I have been a member of the "Mathematically challenged" all my life. Attended special math classes in public school (known then as I.P.I. - which is Individual something or other- I forget now).

My mother hired math tutors. My ever patient Grandmother would work with me on math. I was a constant irritation to my algebra teacher and even ended up having to split the last year of algebra into two years. Just barely passed my math regents exam by 2 points. While I aced my English, Science and history regents in the high 90's!

My brain just has trouble comprehending numbers. Heck, I still don't know my times tables! I go to the closest multiplication I know, then add (usually on my fingers) from there to get the correct product! I have calculators stashed all over the house, truck, on keychains and in my pocketbook - not to mention using the one in the cell phone and my PDA. All my clients are quite patient while I total their bills TWICE to make certain I heven't erred.

At the start of this profession I attempted to force myself to do equations in my head when totalling the bill, but on the drive home and double checking with a calculator, I often found I had shorted myself.

So I am not embarassed one iota by recognizing and claiming my grey matter shortcoming - calculators are WONDERFUL tools!

My grey matter seems to lean more towards the artsy. While my twin brother is a math whiz and limited in the arts. Maybe that's where the term "two minds are better than one" developed?

Regards,
Kim
Regards,
Kim

Those who only consider cost, do NOT consider the cost to the horse!

The more we know, the more we know we need to know more! Ya know?

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 28 Jan 2006 17:45 #13

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
My favorite story was the twenty year old fellow who leased a ranch to run cattle on. He had to gather and we went out to shoe the horse, which was about thirty miles out of the way, got set up under a tree and the thunderstorm began about half way through the job. We waited for for the rain to stop but that didn't happen so we went out and finnished, got soaked to the skin and trimed a couple others.
The kid was so appriticative, he said he wanted to give us some extra tor our trouble. So I ran down the list, this much for this one this much for those and let him add it up and put his tip on top. He handed me the cash, I stuffed it a pocket and drove off.
When I counted it, it was ten bucks short of the bill, let alone the "extra", but I know that cowpoke was happy to have given the shoer something more for his trouble, and happy he haden't wasted time going to math class.

My experence with the McD clerk was the $4.95 total that I gave her a five dollar bill for then stood there and watched her stand and wait for the computer to tell her to give me a nickle. I jokingly asked if she couldn't figure that out by her self, and she replied that "they haven't taught us how to do that yet".
On the other hand, one may notice the result of my delinquency from English class. Oh for a spell check on this site.
Bill

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 28 Jan 2006 21:42 #14

I enjoy the typos and misspellings. I attmpt to decipher if it the error was added for affect(or is that effect? or a typo?), a lack of knowlege, a lack of concern or just a plain old typo...adds a level of mystery, ya' know?
jason
"Always listen to the experts. They tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it." Robert Heinlien
Jason Maki CJF, RJF

RE:GOT MATH ??! I need to vent... 04 Feb 2006 01:51 #15

• Skinfaxi
If you think having an ***** teenage serve you poorly is bad, then you will hate this....I did.

This monday my 50ish female BOSS couldn't add 8 + 8 in her head! First she guessed 12, then she got a calculator....I am not making this up. It happens all the time....sigh.
  • Page:

Kunena Birthday Module

• Jim Johnson birthday is today
  • Micki Ollman birthday is today
  • farrierservice birthday is in 1 day
  • Michelle McCall birthday is in 1 day
  • painted trails birthday is in 1 day
  • steveaskew74@hotmail.co.u birthday is in 1 day
  • Telle9330 birthday is in 1 day
  • In Alberta birthday is in 2 days
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.