make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Monday September 26, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: AFA CF Cert. Questions

AFA CF Cert. Questions 10 Jun 2011 19:19 #1

• Scotty Lang
  • Contributing Member
I'm thinking about trying my hand at the CF. I got some many months of studying ahead, but I wanted to ask ya all...

What can and cant ya use during the on site modification portion? Bob Punch to draw a source bubble, angle Grinder, etc.?

What do you bring with you to the actual practical test? Everything you use for your everyday shoeing? Again is there anything you can't use there, for example grinding to box and safe?

I've heard some guys say to make your own patterns. I was gunna buy em off the AFA site, but not sure what the pros/cons are.

Pros and cons to making your own Bar Shoe vs. welding an insert?

I was thinking of using St Croix Lites for my shoe board. If you used Kercks or another brand, what was the reason?

Many thanks ya all. I found most thread on here very helpful. These are just some loose ends for me.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 10 Jun 2011 20:31 #2

Scotty Lang wrote:
I'm thinking about trying my hand at the CF. I got some many months of studying ahead, but I wanted to ask ya all...

What can and cant ya use during the practical? Bob Punch, Electric Grinder, etc.?

What do you bring with you to the actual test? Everything you use for your everyday shoeing?

I've heard some guys say to make your own patterns. I was gunna buy em off the AFA site, but not sure what the pros/cons are.

Pros and cons to making your own Bar Shoe vs. welding an insert?

I was thinking of using St Croix Lites for my shoe board. If you used Kercks or another brand, what was the reason?

Many thanks ya all. I found most thread on here very helpful. These are just some loose ends for me.

Hey Scotty, I will tackle these questions since this is all recent for me.

1) What can and can't you use during the practical? No power tools.

2) What do you bring to the test? Yes, just your everyday stuff.

3) AFA patterns or make your own? I bought my patterns from the AFA and I am happy with that decision. I still use them on a regular basis.

4) Bar shoe or weld one? I chose to make mine. I started out trying to jump weld a bar in and it didn't work for me. I thought one weld is easier than two so I bought Chris Gregory complete AFA Certification set and learned to make my own bar shoe. It took several before I made one that I wanted to turn in. I made this shoe first for my shoe board.

5) You could use St. Croix lites if you want. I used SX8 because I like the crease and I drew a horse that had a #2 size hoof on one side and a #1 on the other with a broad round toe. The SX8 fit the hoof with little modification and this saved a couple of minutes of time. I bought SX8 front shoes from 00 - 2, and had shoes in my trailer to fit anything. St. Croix lites would not have looked good on this 1300 # horse. Use what you use in your everyday shoeing. I shoe with Kerckhaerts standards or Delta normally.

Here's my advice. Go to a pre certification clinic if you can and go to an actual certification way before you decide to test. This will give you a feel of how everything flows on certification day. Scribe for the testers to understand how points are given and taken away. Build a bar shoe, or weld one (first), then make your other fronts to that pattern. Study the recommended study material. Get the study guide from the AFA and follow it completely. Good luck! Being prepared is key
Cody Gilreath, CF
www.certifiedtexasfarrier.com

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 00:11 #3

• solidrockshoer
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 2
Good advice from Cody. I would suggest getting with a CJF who knows and actively keeps up with the rules and can do the work. When you take the practical, you will need to bring your rig, or you can borrow someones, there will be no power tools allowed. For your shoe board, forget the patterns. Just make sure all fronts and hinds fit each other. The fewer shoes the better. Whether you want to handmake or weld your bar in on your bat shoe, well, do what you are most comfortable with. You are not going to get any brownie points just cause you hanmade your barshoe. As long as it has all the mods and fits the same foot. Where do you live?

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 01:37 #4

• Lori McBride
  • Thank you received: 5
Really solid advise from Dan and Cody. For your shoe display follow the book to the letter. For the written Blombachs study guide was great. One thing I learned that I couldn't find in the book; on your mod to raise hoof angle, if you choose a wedge pad it must have as much flat as there is height to the pad plus the 1/16th of boxing. I was able to re do my pad on another shoe before I turned my display in (another farrier caught it and saved my butt) so my board passed. Make sure they all match the pattern, I turned in a pattern with mine, they liked it, but it's not necessary. Good luck, and have fun. It is well worth the time you will spend, the journey is the reward......Oh yeah, and the belt buckle!! ;)

Here is a pic of my passing shoe display, minus the on site mod. Was going to add one of the pattern I made, but it won't let me upload pics right now? Maybe I'll try later.
Attachments:
Lori McBride CF
McBride Horseshoeing

Don't follow where the path may lead...........go where there is no path and leave a trail.

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 03:57 #5

Lori McBride wrote:
Really solid advise from Dan and Cody. For your shoe display follow the book to the letter. For the written Blombachs study guide was great. One thing I learned that I couldn't find in the book; on your mod to raise hoof angle, if you choose a wedge pad it must have as much flat as there is height to the pad plus the 1/16th of boxing. I was able to re do my pad on another shoe before I turned my display in (another farrier caught it and saved my butt) so my board passed. Make sure they all match the pattern, I turned in a pattern with mine, they liked it, but it's not necessary. Good luck, and have fun. It is well worth the time you will spend, the journey is the reward......Oh yeah, and the belt buckle!! ;)

Here is a pic of my passing shoe display, minus the on site mod. Was going to add one of the pattern I made, but it won't let me upload pics right now? Maybe I'll try later.
Lori , what were your two traction devices?

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 04:01 #6

I see the Drive in Pins, now, with the Borium, Congrats ! keep on it, Now to handmades!

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 12:02 #7

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
Gilreath Horseshoeing wrote:
Go to a pre certification clinic if you can and go to an actual certification way before you decide to test.
DITTO!

It is difficult to figure out what YOU need to do to prepare unless YOU have seen the entire process with your own eyes. At least, having seen the slope, you will know whether it is a mountain or a mole hill.
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 12:55 #8

I am wondering if you carry power tools in your truck and can power them with out an outside source (carry a generator) then why would you not be able to have them assist you in the exam just as you have them assist you on a daily basis? Seems to be a double standard to me. I always thought that the certification was to show that you could shoe to certain standard; the end result is our main concern is it not, to shoe the horse to the highest quality to keep the animal sound and comfortable? So if someone invest in making his or her life easier with less wear and tear on there body why would you disallow such equipment we do not disallow nippers why not have to use a sole knife to trim the hoof (yes I know nippers are not power tools).Sorry I believe that if I carry a plasma cutter on my truck that I should be able to cut my bar shoe out with it.I am still using my hands (or even a CNC machine in the near future):D Just my thoughts on the whole process. May be we need to keep up with the times. Do not get me wrong I believe that you should be able to build a shoe to fit and work to the situation at hand. JMHO
In life your work is your signature, try to sign with elegance and grace.
You do not have to be the best just care the most.
John Muldoon

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 13:30 #9

• tbloomer
  • Master
mmhorseshoeing wrote:
I am wondering if you carry power tools in your truck and can power them with out an outside source (carry a generator) then why would you not be able to have them assist you in the exam just as you have them assist you on a daily basis?
I don't know it the rules have changed, but in the past the Examiner had the authority to decide whether power tools were allowed at the exam. I think the discretion had to do with the logistics of each site - some horses get upset around grinders and such. Spectators might be milling around. More of a safety issue.
Seems to be a double standard to me.
There is a lot of luck involved. If you happen to test someplace where power tools are allowed, then you have that advantage. If you draw a rank horse, you can refuse, but no guarantee that the next horse will be any better. A horse that has really messed up feet will cost you time, and you won't get any consideration for that either. OTOH, you could draw a horse with really nice feet that just requires a touch up . . .
I always thought that the certification was to show that you could shoe to certain standard;
Yes, exactly.
the end result is our main concern is it not, to shoe the horse to the highest quality to keep the animal sound and comfortable?
The test and the standard has nothing to do with the horse. The standard is a predefined target. The horse might get in the way of you hitting that target. Every horse is unique and different. The standard doesn't give much consideration to that. That makes it fair, because everybody is taking the same test . . . shooting at the same target.
Sorry I believe that if I carry a plasma cutter on my truck that I should be able to cut my bar shoe out with it.I am still using my hands (or even a CNC machine in the near future):D Just my thoughts on the whole process. May be we need to keep up with the times. Do not get me wrong I believe that you should be able to build a shoe to fit and work to the situation at hand. JMHO
See above. Everybody is shooting at the same target with the same gun. Some might test on a windy day, and some on a calm day. That's the "luck" part.
Tom Bloomer
302-222-6404

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 14:30 #10

• smitty88
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 64
Lori McBride wrote:

Lori your shoe board that passed was it for your CF or CJF?
Smitty88
John Mc Loughlin

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 14:42 #11

• Lori McBride
  • Thank you received: 5
Smitty, it was just for my CF. I've got allot of bar stock to destroy before I even think about my CJF. lol :D

Thanks Jake! Yep I'm working on the handmades....well at this point they only kinda resemble shoes. So for me it will be, practice, practice, practice. :)
Lori McBride CF
McBride Horseshoeing

Don't follow where the path may lead...........go where there is no path and leave a trail.

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 20:08 #12

"The test and the standard has nothing to do with the horse. The standard is a predefined target. The horse might get in the way of you hitting that target. Every horse is unique and different. The standard doesn't give much consideration to that. That makes it fair, because everybody is taking the same test . . . shooting at the same target."
If it not about the horse it should be in the CJF and therapeutic it should be about the horse at this level. You should be able to tell examiner what you are going to do to the horse while shoeing it to help if need be. And unless they are dragging BLM horses up for the test power tools will have little affects on most horses. I still think the standard should be for the horse not a target we need to put the horse first its about the horses legs and hooves not the metal we tack on the bottom of there hooves. The trim comes first then the shoe. This should stir the pot.;)
In life your work is your signature, try to sign with elegance and grace.
You do not have to be the best just care the most.
John Muldoon

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 22:35 #13

• tbloomer
  • Master
mmhorseshoeing wrote:
If it not about the horse it should be in the CJF
CJF exam is EXACTLY the same standard as CF. Only difference is hand made shoes and clips.
and therapeutic it should be about the horse at this level.
There are no horses used in the practical part of the therapeutic endorsement exam. Isn't that special?
You should be able to tell examiner what you are going to do to the horse while shoeing it to help if need be.
That would make the test very subjective. Basically it would be totally up to the examiner whether or not your shoeing plan was suitable for the horse.
And unless they are dragging BLM horses up for the test power tools will have little affects on most horses.
Obviously you havent been to a certification held in a dark indoor arena where sparks flying off a grinder light up the room like flames from a fire breathing dragon . . . ;) It can turn into a train wreck very quickly. Outside in bright sunlight the sparks aren't so noticeable.
I still think the standard should be for the horse not a target we need to put the horse first its about the horses legs and hooves not the metal we tack on the bottom of there hooves. The trim comes first then the shoe. This should stir the pot.;)
Not really. The test is about having the skills to hit a target. It is basic entry level - same criteria for everybody. If the test was about the horse, a lot of folks might end up in a debate with the examiner since there is no "one right way" to shoe every horse or any horse.
Tom Bloomer
302-222-6404

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 22:59 #14

• BS-Horseshoeing
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 4
Ok guys, answer me this. On either the CF or the CJF if the trim is not right do you pass?
Ben Sturman
AFA CF #7558

Tough times never last, but tough people do!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, one lick and you will suck for ever!

Folks who think traditional farriery means perimeter fit don't know a heluva lot about shoeing. Tom Stovall,...

RE:AFA CF Cert. Questions 11 Jun 2011 23:04 #15

• tbloomer
  • Master
BS-Horseshoeing wrote:
Ok guys, answer me this. On either the CF or the CJF if the trim is not right do you pass?
Far as I know you can't pass with a failing trim score. OTOH, does a passing trim score mean the trim is "right?"
Tom Bloomer
302-222-6404

Kunena Birthday Module

• Dennis Peveto birthday is today
  • ironmanhorseshoeing birthday is today
  • Robyn Beane birthday is today
  • vanderblij birthday is today
  • Viking farrier birthday is today
  • irideazippo birthday is in 1 day
  • McCutcheon969 birthday is in 1 day
  • RidingGrace birthday is in 1 day
  • trueworthy birthday is in 1 day
  • 56power65 birthday is in 2 days
  • Brenda-MI birthday is in 2 days
  • farriergodmother birthday is in 2 days
  • Jetikarabbit birthday is in 2 days
  • Myr_4089 birthday is in 2 days
  • texfarrier birthday is in 2 days
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.