make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Monday June 27, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: apprenticeship

RE:apprenticeship 22 Jan 2011 04:39 #16

• George Geist
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 3
Mark_Gough wrote:
It takes years to build a successful business and even then the risks of failure, as with any new business, are high. Expect to work a non-farrier job to pay the bills while you continue your farrier education and start to build a business. Speaking of building a business... do you have a business plan? Goals? Specific expectations?
True enough
Have you joined the AFA? Have you contacted the Pennsylvania Professional Farrier's Association and joined their group? They offer a hammer-in every first Saturday of the month. Seems a good place to introduce yourself and seek help.

Phil Bower, on the PPFA website, has a standing offer to assist on request (presume for members) and can be reached at 717-677-0024.

Have you contacted any of the PPFA members? Chris Diehl? Dave Deppen?

Have you taken time to review the PPFA website? Contacted your AFA regional representative? Asked for a referral from the school you graduated from?
Forget about all that PPFA stuff. They haven't shown any sign of life for quite some time, calls to their officers go unanswered, for all intents and purposes I'd say at this point they can be considered defunct.

gchotshod wrote:
The school I went to was not that great he told me some things like how much money you can make your first year and how the students there in 8 weeks were already making money.
Don't tell me let me guess......
The place started a new class every monday????

There are a few good schools out there but too many of them merely prostitute the trade. Remind me a lot of the millionaire maker infomercials that used to be on in the late night hours back in the 1980's. Anybody remember them? It was so easy to get rich with real estate. Problem was I knew folks that were in the real estate business all their lives. Yes, they made their livings at it but none of them became instant millionaires at it:rolleyes: They all used to say what effing planet are these people living on?

Truth was they were making money selling a line of BS to a bunch of suckers.
None of them were in the real estate business they were in the seminar and book selling business.

Along those same lines do any prospective students talk to working shoers to find out what's really what? Ever wonder why school operators aren't out making a living in the trade if it's as great as they say it is?

Horse numbers are declining. There are nearly 2 million less than when I started 30 years ago. Last years foal crop was the smallest since 1979.
With a down economy we always get an exponential number of new shoers out there, but seldom with a horse industry in such a shambles.

In the part of PA you're from, in fact everywhere in the state, you throw a stone you'll hit a horseshoer. There is simply not enough work to keep everybody busy. I'd opine that the reason nobody is helping you is nothing personal, but that most of them haven't enough to keep themselves working much less enough for you to help them with.
George
For another fun place to play........
www.horseshoersforum.invisionzone.com
Come over and say hello.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:apprenticeship 22 Jan 2011 04:48 #17

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
Cool George. That was encouraging!
Maybe you could have shared something about cancer and dismemberment.
I know what you say is true but the cream will rise to the top.

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:apprenticeship 22 Jan 2011 16:41 #18

• Jay Mickle
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I recall what Smitty said when a beginning farrier was lamenting that there were 15+ farriers in the area and that he/she would have to move. Smitty said: Be the best and let someone else move.
Great advice!
Jay Mickle
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

RE:apprenticeship 22 Jan 2011 20:16 #19

• westtxshoer
  • Very Senior Member
I hate to say this, but talk to the vets in your area. They'll know who's busy and might could use a hand. Going at it alone from the start is a hard life and I don't recommend it. But, I do say to go ahead and put your name out there. You'll get the PITA horses and the "twice a year" customers that nobody else wants, but at least you'll get some feet between your legs. Besides that, when an established farrier sees that you're giving it a try they can be more willing to help you out. That was my experience anyway.
RJ Little
Merkel, Texas
817-341-9857

"I ain't askin' nobody for nuthin', if I can't get it on my own." - Charlie Daniels

RE:apprenticeship 22 Jan 2011 21:59 #20

• gchotshod
Did my first horse on my own only three week into school did alright an still doing horses. I was doing a farm for free and I told her when I get faster at it i will start chargeing her well when I got better she told me she found a nother farrier. I just trim I don't shod but it's slow

RE:apprenticeship 22 Jan 2011 22:01 #21

• gchotshod
By the way I went to far hill forge farrier school in dethlehem pa

RE:apprenticeship 22 Jan 2011 22:04 #22

• gchotshod
bethlehem pa

RE:apprenticeship 22 Jan 2011 23:11 #23

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:apprenticeship 22 Jan 2011 23:14 #24

• gchotshod
thats the one.

RE:apprenticeship 22 Jan 2011 23:29 #25

• gchotshod
that school was ok not alot of hands on. he was afraid of looseing clients if we did something wrong or hurt the horse. The man knows how to make shoes

RE:apprenticeship 23 Jan 2011 00:19 #26

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
Keep ringing the guys from the PPFA, but don't tell them you know George, they might be hiding from him. ;)
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:apprenticeship 23 Jan 2011 04:22 #27

• BS-Horseshoeing
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 4
westtxshoer wrote:
I hate to say this, but talk to the vets in your area. They'll know who's busy and might could use a hand. Going at it alone from the start is a hard life and I don't recommend it. But, I do say to go ahead and put your name out there. You'll get the PITA horses and the "twice a year" customers that nobody else wants, but at least you'll get some feet between your legs. Besides that, when an established farrier sees that you're giving it a try they can be more willing to help you out. That was my experience anyway.

Dam RJ, did I write a book about how I got started and ain't getting paid for the sales? I started right out of school thinking I was hot sheet and God with a hoof. It took me 5 years to figure out I was stoopid and inept so to say and start looking for help and education. I wish I had the bals back then to go ask some other guys for help but I was to dang cocky and arrogant. I shod anything with hooves and hair and spent many a day feeling like a wrestler more than a shoer. I finally figured out shoeing horses was easier when they stood still and were not trying to kill me. Some times a hard head is a bad thing.

Keep after the PPFA guys, find some to work with, and learn all you can. If you have to get a part time job in the evenings or weekends. Aways read, study, and practice the trade. Move forward or die a slow death.

It's all fun!:cool:
Ben Sturman
AFA CF #7558

Tough times never last, but tough people do!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, one lick and you will suck for ever!

Folks who think traditional farriery means perimeter fit don't know a heluva lot about shoeing. Tom Stovall,...

RE:apprenticeship 23 Jan 2011 06:06 #28

gchotshod wrote:
Did my first horse on my own only three week into school did alright an still doing horses. I was doing a farm for free and I told her when I get faster at it i will start chargeing her well when I got better she told me she found a nother farrier. I just trim I don't shod but it's slow

You don't shod? This might be part of the reason that your having a hard time getting some help. I know that I wouldn't let a guy work with me that has a hard time with present vs past tense. I will be the first to admit that I am horrible at spelling but most farriers and clients are not and it means something to them.

RE:apprenticeship 23 Jan 2011 12:17 #29

• solidrockshoer
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 2
Have you talked to Adam Holland? He's down your way and went to sonny's school. You're in a bad area. Either head east on the penssy / nj border or down towards chester county. It's a bad time of year to be trying to find work. Look up Arnie Gervasio he's in fl right now but would probably put you to work this spring.

RE:apprenticeship 23 Jan 2011 12:52 #30

Eric Russell wrote:
Have you talked to Adam Holland? He's down your way and went to sonny's school. You're in a bad area. Either head east on the penssy / nj border or down towards chester county. It's a bad time of year to be trying to find work. Look up Arnie Gervasio he's in fl right now but would probably put you to work this spring.

going to New Jersey is better, and get experience up there. There is not enough farriers over there, esp. in the mid-south part.
I have been called to go there in N. NJ area. it's 2 1/2 hours for me.

Everyone goes to Chester and there is not enought work for someone who doesn't shoe. You are up against good farriers in this area who have over 20/30 yrs,+ and shoe and are fast enough to a horse in 20 mins with all 4 shoes.

good luck,
linda muggleworth,
journeyman horseshoer/plater

Kunena Birthday Module

• AClement birthday is today
  • andreanelson birthday is today
  • dani_shoes78 birthday is today
  • Docbarhorse birthday is today
  • SherryinPA birthday is today
  • WeercerigD10C birthday is today
  • shelby820 birthday is in 1 day
  • cowgirlup birthday is in 364 days
  • gabear67E2 birthday is in 364 days
  • jimmyoyow birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.