make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Thursday August 18, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Justifying your "high prices?"

Justifying your "high prices?" 25 Apr 2010 22:37 #1

• Dan Puckett
  • Contributing Member
I am farily new, and business is picking up for me, but I still have to drive a truck part time to make ends meet for right now. As some of you may remember, I can only get $75 a head for a full set around here (and as a result, may be a good reason farriers are hard to come by in this area), but I'm still one of the highest priced guys around here- most do it for $50-60 in 45minutes, cold shod, shaped at the factory. I build my own shoes, but I can also reset them an average of 4 times, saving me money and time in the long run.

To my point. I get a call from some half- drunk sounding old man from south of here about once a quarter (I say drunk SOUNDING; having never met the man, I cant say he doesnt have a congenital defect that makes him hard to understand), supposedly a wrong number, but it always comes around to me shoeing horses. He asks what I charge, and I tell him $75 for a full set, $65 for resets. And like clockwork, he asks why I should get $25 more than everyone else arond here. I told him it's 2010, and it just costs money to run a business, that stuff costs more than it did 25 years ago. I go to clinics and apprentice to learn all I can, see new techniques (or new twists on old ones), and try to improve myself and my skills all the time, blah, blah, blah. And it just went downhill from there, I wont bore you with the details. I hung up on him, I hate to admit, but I couldnt get a word in edgewise after that, and I could just sense I wasnt going to schedule any of his horses anytime soon, so why waste my time?

My wife (who is a service advisor at an automotive shop, and has a little more customer service experience than I do) seems to think I should have tried harder to end on a high note. I dont think I did anything out of line- comes under the heading of dont argue with an *****.......

SO, that brings up the question- how do you guys deal with the cheapskates? My prices are set, and if John Q Horseowner doesnt like them, he can find someone else.

Dan
Dan Puckett, CF
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 02:41 #2

What we charge is what we charge. I don't know why some feel the need to complain. I always let them know that no one will force them to use me. Don't take it to heart. Just for fun tell the guy that next time he complains your prices are going up. So as he *****es on the phone keep going up by $10 a shot. See how high you can get before he hangs up

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 03:08 #3

• BS-Horseshoeing
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 4
Dan, the last sentence you wrote is the only one you need to remember. If you have to justify your pricing to someone, then you cost to much for them and even if you do get to shoe for them it will be for a short time until they find someone cheaper, then adios amigos.

At my sons little league game a couple weeks ago I had a guy start talking to me over the pup in my avatar and we eventually got around to me shoeing and him roping. Of course the question comes up, "What do you charge?". I say $95.00 for four flat shoes. The guy dang near has an appaplexie and starts screaming about how shoers charge to much, and it don't cost that much to shoe a horse. I wanted to cuss him out and show him how ****** he was but instead just said "Hey, that's my price and obviously you won't pay it so your not going to be one of my customers, oh well, I got plenty others." He left all mad and won't speak to me now. No loss, damn team ropers cry to much (I can say that cause I are use to be one).

Michael, that's funny right there. I guess if you knew the person on the phone was someone you didn't want to work for that would be dang fun to see how far it could go.:D
Ben Sturman
AFA CF #7558

Tough times never last, but tough people do!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, one lick and you will suck for ever!

Folks who think traditional farriery means perimeter fit don't know a heluva lot about shoeing. Tom Stovall,...

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 03:11 #4

• solidrockshoer
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 2
You know here lately I have gotten so sick of having to explain my price. I was travelling alot and raised my prices to help with costs of travelling long distance. It got to where I was defending my self aeveryday about my price,, so I have decided I want to 2-4 horse accounts and not even deal with big barns anymore. I lowered my price to get morke work within a 30 mile radius, and am starting to think this is the way to do it. In June I am also going to start putting handmades on as many as I can. I have found that the more "money" someone has the harder they are to deal with. They also will expect more from someone charging double to going rate.

I just want to shoe horses, I don't have to get rich and I want to keep enjoying what I do. I like a simple drama free life, and aslo don't want the streess that goes with the big barns,wealthy folks.

I just wish the horses could call me and make his appointment, shoot the **** with me, and pay me, them reschedule his own appt.:) But unfortunately we have to deal with people. Most I D I O T S, IMO.:eek::mad:

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 03:23 #5

hotrodiesel wrote:
You know here lately I have gotten so sick of having to explain my price. I was travelling alot and raised my prices to help with costs of travelling long distance. It got to where I was defending my self aeveryday about my price,, so I have decided I want to 2-4 horse accounts and not even deal with big barns anymore. I lowered my price to get morke work within a 30 mile radius, and am starting to think this is the way to do it. In June I am also going to start putting handmades on as many as I can. I have found that the more "money" someone has the harder they are to deal with. They also will expect more from someone charging double to going rate.

I just want to shoe horses, I don't have to get rich and I want to keep enjoying what I do. I like a simple drama free life, and aslo don't want the streess that goes with the big barns,wealthy folks.

I just wish the horses could call me and make his appointment, shoot the **** with me, and pay me, them reschedule his own appt.:) But unfortunately we have to deal with people. Most I D I O T S, IMO.:eek::mad:

agreed Dan. I charge about 10-20 less then the comperable shoers in the area. We are all on the top end. But I find that I am traveling less then the other guys are. I like staying close to home. But when someone complains about price it starts going up. "Gosh I forgot to charge for the clips", "oh yea I forgot about the handmade price"

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 03:33 #6

• Txfarrier
I go through the same thing, starting in a new place and charging substancialy more than the rest.

I have started telling people right off that I charge more than the others as a way of dividing the callers who want the best of care for their horses from the ones looking for the cheapest prices. I explain that I'm looking for long term customers and I've found that those looking for the cheapest price will be gone as soon as they find somebody cheaper. I point out that that way the folks going cheap get the beer money shoers and the rest get someone that devotes himself to the horses in his care. And if I wanted to be snotty I would add "so, you see, you have already disqualified yourself from the availibility of my services".

Still get the "well, you won't be shoeing my horses!" but at least they know what I think of them
Dutch Denson CF

“A bar of iron costs $5, made into horseshoes its worth is $12, made into needles its worth is $3500, made into balance springs for watches, its worth is $300, 000. Your own value is determined also by what you are able to make of...

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 03:43 #7

• cuttinshoer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 1
After about a hundred hang-ups or funny looks you'll get immune to it. I had one call yesterday his Amish guy is retireing and more than likely was charging him 40-50 bucks. Got that long pause when I said my price, and I mean long pause. He said he would keep my number but I doubt it. You'll start to laugh at them before long.:D Do good work and stand out from the other guys and it will come. I had a lady tell me she thought I was a little high as I was trimming her first horse, when I got done shoeing the second horse, she paid me extra.
Justin Decker

"As I see it, good enough is never good enough, it's just an excuse for mediocrity. If every shoeing ain't worth your best shot, you're just going through the motions." Tom Stovall, CJF

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 03:46 #8

• Mark_Gough
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 35
Txfarrier wrote:
...Still get the "well, you won't be shoeing my horses!" but at least they know what I think of them

To which one replies....

"Lady, I made that decision 60 seconds into our conversation. Everything after that was just me being polite." :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Mark

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 03:51 #9

Mark_Gough wrote:
To which one replies....

"Lady, I made that decision 60 seconds into our conversation. Everything after that was just me being polite." :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Mark

I had a guy tell me "you won't ever be working for me" I looked at him and said "well he-ll I could have told you that before we met"

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 05:21 #10

• Red Amor
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 22
When I get the WHHHOOOOO THE FHELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE chargin that
I just say Im the guy you rang that said I would come and did Im the guy that said I would do this n that to fix your horse n did when the other guys said they would n didn't
thank you mam:cool:
seems to be you only have to say that to those types of people not nice the nice folks they can usually see your worth;)

I worked saturday morning for a couple that needed a horse for an event , $180.OO STUDS around

went back monday shoes around on another a refit it was and 3 trims $270.oo , they happy as larry and appreciated my extra efforts
these people are the type I love to work for , not the money , nice people that can see your worth and acknowledge it
Mark Anthony Amor
If we want anymore excrement like that outta you we'll squeese ya head :eek:
Mind how ya go now ;)

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 05:52 #11

• Anthony_Lawrence
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I nearly got $125 for a trim the other day until I realized she was talking trim and I was talking shoes. She was going to pay it until I realized and corrected myself.

Got me thinking though.
Ant.

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 07:18 #12

• ThomasRideandDrive
  • Master
  • Equestrian Centre Proprietor, Northumberland, UK
  • Thank you received: 2
Dan Puckett wrote:

SO, that brings up the question- how do you guys deal with the cheapskates?
Dan
I don't !

If someone can't afford to buy something that I'm selling I politely suggest that if they're just looking to buy based on price that they might want to go elsewhere.

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 07:31 #13

• smitty88
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 64
In our little Country the lowest price you can pay would be 40 euros
and the high would be 100 euros for a plain set

but the average would be 60 to 80
now you could get good and bad work in any of those prices

all i can say is if you work for nothing you will never be idle
Smitty88
John Mc Loughlin

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 09:31 #14

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm in a similar situation as Hotrod. I don't have trouble with the wealthy people and I've only had a few complaints about price but I travel way too much.

I think I'm going to have to work a lot cheaper if I want to work closer to home. I'm still thinking on it.

RE:Justifying your "high prices?" 26 Apr 2010 14:11 #15

• Mark_Gough
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 35
smitty88 wrote:
In our little Country the lowest price you can pay would be 40 euros
and the high would be 100 euros for a plain set

but the average would be 60 to 80
now you could get good and bad work in any of those prices

all i can say is if you work for nothing you will never be idle

John, your comment about 'good and bad work' is a puzzle to me. There is no training or licensing requirement in the states so the range of quality (or lack thereof) is huge.

I have a hard time understanding how farriers in your area that are required to complete a school plus four years of formal apprenticeship and state licensing exams can be anything less than exceptional in almost every aspect of their work.

The work you have posted by your first year apprentices is typically far better than most of the work I see done around this area, including my own. Still, I have seen photos of work done in Great Britain that appears very poor. I don't understand how that can happen given the rigorous training and testing requirements.

It's easy to understand how 4 or 5 years here may not produce a quality farrier. That time may only represent a few months of actual training, while the rest was spent building a business and learning by 'trial and error' one horse at a time. Investing that same 4 years as a full time, paid apprentice, learning directly from an experienced craftsman, should produce a farrier that is vastly more skilled in every area of farriery.

Yes, I understand that everyone has different limits on their skill, but given 4 years of intensive training, it's hard to imagine anyone not being able to deliver an exceptional level of quality.

Just out of curiosity, how much, on average, do first year apprentices earn in Ireland? Is it a 'living' wage?

Cheers,
Mark

Kunena Birthday Module

• David Gill birthday is today
  • Jerry Downs birthday is today
  • my_quantum birthday is today
  • Omega Donisi birthday is today
  • Shelly Peterson birthday is today
  • Eric Fox birthday is in 1 day
  • FolsomBlues birthday is in 1 day
  • hezahottass birthday is in 1 day
  • s_steinberg birthday is in 1 day
  • Aaron Roberts birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.