make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Tuesday September 27, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What does it cost you?

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 02:42 #16

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 1
GiddyapGirl wrote:
Yeah Yeah I know I'm gonna hear all that bullpucky about passing the cost of purchased specialty shoes on to the customer. Well how about this? Pass that cost on to the customer and MAKE some money by putting what you saved in your own pocket!
When you figure in your time and materials needed to make a pair of bar shoes. You can purchase them allot cheaper.

GiddyapGirl wrote:
Don't know how you spent your afternoon but I spent mine in the fire, used the leftover snow to cool the tongs.:D
I spent mine with my wife and son.
Gary Miller, PF

Ride hard, shoot straight, and always speak the truth.
Gunfighter Motto

"Our level of quality is how well our eye can see it." (Eric Russell, Oct 2008, Horseshoes.com)

"Discover what it is that makes you passionate then grab a firm...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 02:46 #17

• BS-Horseshoeing
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 4
Dogwood Forge wrote:
I appreciate the response from everybody. I do order my supplies in bulk. I buy my nails and my rasps by the case and I haven't bought shoes since last May. I make my own bar shoes and most specialty shoes. It is funny that the longer I shoe I seem to carry less stuff on my truck. I like to see the different ideas from everyone. It helps me to see things from angles that I may not have seen or thought of before.

Chip read this article by Ray Miller. It breaks things down pretty well and then you can adapt the info to your situation.

http://www.saddlefitting.net/articles/truecostofshoeing.html
Ben Sturman
AFA CF #7558

Tough times never last, but tough people do!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, one lick and you will suck for ever!

Folks who think traditional farriery means perimeter fit don't know a heluva lot about shoeing. Tom Stovall,...

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 02:47 #18

• Gary Hill
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 6
It must be me or the area I work in , but when I do need to use barshoes of anytype I usually find that the foot is kinda compromised in some way? That is why store bought prepunched barshoes are like prepunched sliders. They look nice but if you need to adjust them like I need to do, they do not seem to do as well as a handmade of that type. :)
"As I see it, winners get the money - while losers talk of "individual goals" and similar stuff." Tom Stovall

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 02:51 #19

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
I don't buy in bulk. I prefer to let the supply house be my Warehouse. That way I don't have allot of overhead that I'm not using tying up my money.
Gary Miller, PF

Gunfighter Motto

"Our level of quality is how well our eye can see it." (Eric Russell, Oct 2008, Horseshoes.com)

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 03:01 #20

• BS-Horseshoeing
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 4
Gary_Miller wrote:
When you figure in your time and materials needed to make a pair of bar shoes. You can purchase them allot cheaper.

I think that depends more on who's making the bar shoes. With practice and proficiency a pair a bar shoes can be done in less than forty minutes by me and I'm not that good. A couple of dollars of steel, a couple of dollars of propane, a beer or two, my son with me working to or playing close (me to in between heats), getting practice for the journeyman test, and saving some money. Then charging the same as the store boughts and making a little more profit for putting in the extra effort. I've saved money, made money, spent time with my son (my wife works evenings so it works real well), furthered my skill and business, and enjoyed every minute of it. Tell me what's so bad about that?

I just talked with Jason Maki a little while ago on FB and we were saying how much this profession and the world have become a gotta have it right now style living environment. Jason was talking about how his hard work, dedication, sacrifice, and will to succeed put him exactly where he wants to be doing what he wants to be doing and it didn't happen by taking short cuts or doing things from prepackaged prefitted models.

Yes you can buy things, save time, make money, blah blah blah. But what about learning how to do it from scratch and getting good enough to do the same job in a reasonable amount of time and make the same or more money? It can be done and still have a life if you have the heart, drive, try, and will. Oh, and a family who understands your a bit nuts but loves you anyway.

It's an "To each his own" kind of deal. Some want to buy things, some want to make them. If they get to the same point for the horse, make money doing it, and are happy, what the hecks the big deal?:rolleyes:
Ben Sturman
AFA CF #7558

Tough times never last, but tough people do!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, one lick and you will suck for ever!

Folks who think traditional farriery means perimeter fit don't know a heluva lot about shoeing. Tom Stovall,...

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 03:40 #21

• beslagsmed
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 5
I think a lot of the cost Chip is talking about are the things we don't usually see - I think what David is proposing, an online plug and play type of excell spread sheet would be kind of interesting. Having someone set it up and then we could just plug in our own numbers is a great idea. Do you think it is possible Baron? I know this same subject has started to nag at me a bit. This is why I am starting to keep better track, and more often looking at the numbers to see exactly where I am.
Mikel Dawson, RJF

(Denmark)
What part of "NO" don't you understand!!

Caution: Watch for hoof in mouth disease!!!

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 04:32 #22

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
Ben, I would guess the average Farrier makes around $100 an hour when they are working, don't think you can sell a pair of bar shoes for that.

When it comes to the buisness end of things its important to remember your time is money. If you can't produce and sell it, for at least what you can purchase it for, then you have lost money.

Don't get me wrong. Knowing how forge what you may need is important and practice is an important part of the learning process.

You can't always buy what you may need, sometimes it has to be manufactured.
Gary Miller, PF

Gunfighter Motto

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 13:05 #23

• cuttinshoer
  • Master
Gary_Miller wrote:

Maybe for you.
Justin Decker

"As I see it, good enough is never good enough, it's just an excuse for mediocrity. If every shoeing ain't worth your best shot, you're just going through the motions." Tom Stovall, CJF

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 13:50 #24

I figure I gross about $70 per hour ( I'm slow )

Hand made bar shoes, pair:

Steel: 2.00
Gas : 5.00
Time : 70.00
Additional customer charge: -20.00
Total (loss): 57.00

Purchased bar shoes: 30.00
Additional customer charge: 30.00
Total: 0.00

skill development, savings to customer ( good will ), image enhancement, both to self and client: PRICELESS

Additionally, you don't need to tie up additional money in inventory, or have to say "I'll be back in a week" .

And we have to face the grim fact that we just like making these things, even though the hard dollars aren't there.

Regards
Rick Shepherd

Although we know what we believe, we may only believe what we know. Dr William Moyers

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 14:16 #25

• cuttinshoer
  • Master
A store bought bar shoe is nothing more than a bar welded in a keg shoe. I can fit the shoes to the feet and mig weld a bar in from a piece of scrap barstock that would otherwise be thrown away in 15 min. If you weld it properly there will be no more grinding than normal. If you take time off the 15 min. for fitting which has to be done anyways no matter what shoe you use your probably down to say 7 min barshoes. At $100 an hour that comes out to an $11.66 pair of bar shoes, not counting the cost of the keg shoe because you were going to use one anyway. You charge $30 for the barshoes and you just made an extra $18.34.

Handmades should be charged on an hourly rate or you are loosing money, we can all buy any shoe cheaper than we can make it if we count propane, tools, etc. into the cost, but it is fun and makes us better at our jobs.
Justin Decker

"As I see it, good enough is never good enough, it's just an excuse for mediocrity. If every shoeing ain't worth your best shot, you're just going through the motions." Tom Stovall, CJF

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 14:26 #26

• George Geist
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 3
Gary Hill wrote:
It must be me or the area I work in , but when I do need to use barshoes of anytype I usually find that the foot is kinda compromised in some way? That is why store bought prepunched barshoes are like prepunched sliders. They look nice but if you need to adjust them like I need to do, they do not seem to do as well as a handmade of that type. :)
This is true. Proper fitting is often a problem. I'd disagree that they look nice. Most of them are pretty crude and roughly finished, certainly nowhere near worth their cost.

Western Hill Forge wrote:
I figure I gross about $70 per hour ( I'm slow )

Hand made bar shoes, pair:

Steel: 2.00
Gas : 5.00
Time : 70.00
Additional customer charge: -20.00
Total (loss): 57.00

Purchased bar shoes: 30.00
Additional customer charge: 30.00
Total: 0.00

skill development, savings to customer ( good will ), image enhancement, both to self and client: PRICELESS

Additionally, you don't need to tie up additional money in inventory, or have to say "I'll be back in a week" .

And we have to face the grim fact that we just like making these things, even though the hard dollars aren't there.

Regards
All true. When yours truly was at the track we got about the same for bars as for a shoeing job. Figure it took about a half hour to get one shod and it took about that long to make a pair of bars. Therefore it doubled the price of a shoeing job. By time and labor we thought it fair. Seems whole problem here is not too many guys charge what they should for these things.

Yes, $20-$30 for inferior shoes compared to $2 in steel for a good high quality pair is pretty foolish. And yes Western you're right, no self respecting horseshoer uses store bought bar shoes.
George
For another fun place to play........
www.horseshoersforum.invisionzone.com
Come over and say hello.

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 15:19 #27

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
cuttinshoer wrote:
Maybe for you.
Crunch your numbers see what you come up with.

Here's what I came up with.

#1 straight bar - Clipped

Labor: 40 min = $80 (the price of two trims)
Bar stock: 2ft = $2
Flux: 1oz = $1
Propane: 1/2 gal = $1
Misc overhead = $1 (tool wear, forge line wear, ect.)

Total cost per pair to make = $85

Cost to purchase, Kerckhaert #1 straight bar - Clipped = $18

The biggest problem is most don't want to figure in their labor costs.
Gary Miller, PF

Gunfighter Motto

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 15:31 #28

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
cuttinshoer wrote:
A store bought bar shoe is nothing more than a bar welded in a keg shoe. I can fit the shoes to the feet and mig weld a bar in from a piece of scrap barstock that would otherwise be thrown away in 15 min. If you weld it properly there will be no more grinding than normal. If you take time off the 15 min. for fitting which has to be done anyways no matter what shoe you use your probably down to say 7 min barshoes.
Justin, it takes longer than 7 mins to pull out and set up the the welder, cut the steel to be welded, weld it, then put the welder back.

cuttinshoer wrote:
but it is fun and makes us better at our jobs.

Most people use this statement as a justification for not charging what the true cost is.

Why do you thing auto mechanics replace parts instead of fixing them?

This is a business and if you don't treat is as one you are on the slippery road to failure.
Gary Miller, PF

Gunfighter Motto

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 15:50 #29

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
Being that you have to have inventory anyway, a pair of each size (00,0,1,2) is not going to brake the bank, and if your in a pinch you can just jump weld a bar on keg shoe.

If you really think about it. Unless you do therapeutic shoeing. How many bar shoes does the average farrier apply in a months time, where they didn't know they needed the shoe ahead of time.
Gary Miller, PF

Gunfighter Motto

RE:What does it cost you? 12 Mar 2010 16:40 #30

• beslagsmed
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 5
Gary_Miller wrote:
Being that you have to have inventory anyway, a pair of each size (00,0,1,2) is not going to brake the bank, and if your in a pinch you can just jump weld a bar on keg shoe.

If you really think about it. Unless you do therapeutic shoeing. How many bar shoes does the average farrier apply in a months time, where they didn't know they needed the shoe ahead of time.

That's the question - how long are those barshoes going to ride around and will you ever use them? If you don't use them, it is wasted money. For me it is better business to build a barshoe on the spot if the horse is going to use it only a time or two, but if the horse needs it all the time, so then buy it as you know the size then. I don't tie up space and money on stuff to ride around.
Mikel Dawson, RJF

(Denmark)
What part of "NO" don't you understand!!

Caution: Watch for hoof in mouth disease!!!

Kunena Birthday Module

• irideazippo birthday is today
  • McCutcheon969 birthday is today
  • RidingGrace birthday is today
  • trueworthy birthday is today
  • 56power65 birthday is in 1 day
  • Brenda-MI birthday is in 1 day
  • farriergodmother birthday is in 1 day
  • Jetikarabbit birthday is in 1 day
  • Myr_4089 birthday is in 1 day
  • texfarrier birthday is in 1 day
  • lindar131 birthday is in 363 days
  • Dennis Peveto birthday is in 364 days
  • ironmanhorseshoeing birthday is in 364 days
  • Robyn Beane birthday is in 364 days
  • vanderblij birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.