make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Friday September 30, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Certification AFA CF

RE:Certification AFA CF 20 Oct 2009 03:09 #16

• Box Forge
  • Thank you received: 1
Jared,

I personally did order the plates from the AFA b/c they are very nicely shaped and at the time I wasn't as good at seeing a good "table shoe"(referring to specimen shoes used in contests) shape. In addition, sometimes horse's feet from the real world don't offer as nice of a shape. But they don't judge based on the shape, they just all have to be made for exactly the same foot(I keep stressing this b/c it is very important and I've seen a lot of people that were very close but had to redo them). I would offer a few more suggestions on shoe selection though; I prefer Kerkhaert shoes b/c they are the closest thing on the market to a handmade in my opinion. I like SSP style personally as they are wide webbed and punched for E-heads. The only bad thing is the weaker toe; this can be taken care of with a good even seating of the toe. I would use the flat side of the hammer on my first heat before shaping the shoe and put a slight angle on my hammer blows toward the inside. This will spread the toe and eliminate a "sole pressuring shoe". Also you will find it easier to do your trailers and extended heels, etc on the Kerkhaerts as they are not penciled in the heel as St. Croix are. Don't get me wrong I have seen some super shoe displays done with St. Croix, but these are the reasons I went w/ Kerkhaert. If I have time over the next few days I will remake the shoe mods. and post the pics. My shoe board is in the bottom of a whole pile of shoes in my shop and they are quite rusty these days and wouldn't be much to look at. Also, as was suggested in a previous post, definitely practice shoe mods. on shoes you pull off horses when you can to keep some of the cost down. Clips, rolled toes, rocker toes, etc. will likely have to be practiced either in the field while applying them or on new shoes. But make some mods. that you can put on some of the horses you shoe. Just as I do, when practicing handmades in the shop, I make them to fit horses that I shoe so they don't just pile up.
Phillip Box, Jr., CJF
AFA#9007
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Certification AFA CF 20 Oct 2009 04:22 #17

• BS-Horseshoeing
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 4
Jared, I used patterns I made from some every day type shapes, front and hind. It made it very difficult to match some of the shoes to the patterns with the mods. I used St. Croix shoes, X-tras for the fronts, plains for the hinds. The toughest shoe for me to make and match was the square toe hind cause my pattern was just a little off in one branch. That little bit made it tough to get right. Once I finally figured that out it all came together. I would opt for the patterns from the AFA if I had to do it again because you get a general shape front and hind with no surprises.

A little trick I learned was that when you attatch your pad, put it on the bar shoe and use a wedge bar pad. It's easier to make the other fronts match in the toe and takes some of the things out that can be picked on to not pass the shoes. Make everything smooth and shiney and remember, it's all going to help you get better.

Remember what Philip keeps saying, make sure all fronts and all hinds match exactly in shape. At each cert I've gone to, that has killed more boards than anything including mine the first time. If they don't match, they don't get scored so none of them are protected as done.

I'll get pics of mine and post them later. My laptop just crashed and I lost all my pics so will have to retake them.
Ben Sturman
AFA CF #7558

Tough times never last, but tough people do!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, one lick and you will suck for ever!

Folks who think traditional farriery means perimeter fit don't know a heluva lot about shoeing. Tom Stovall,...

RE:Certification AFA CF 20 Oct 2009 04:43 #18

Jarod,
I just passed my CF. It took me 2 tries on the prac. the time is a killer.seems like you have more then enough untill the nerves hit and you're shooting for perfect. I would suggest getting the book from the AFA and looking though it. It tells you exactly what they are looking for. I would have to say the everything has to FLAT( as Tom already said) I found that my brand new anvil was not as flat as I thought. My window on my topper was though;) Make every thing crisp. Staight toe for square toe, crisp corners on trailer, do not diminish the stock dimention. No sole pressure under clips:o(that was my on site mod). When checking that all shoes fit the same pattern, don't always go to your patt. When Brian Barrett checked mine, they looked alright with the patt, but when you looked at them stacked on each other you could see diff. one a little tight one a little full really shows up on each other more then on the patt. The book tells you what to do. You have all the time in the world to do it........ So do it and make it look cool. As far as the written my local AFA chapter had given us these PRE-Cert. Workshop study guides......It worked for me. I also read Butlers P2 lots. Remember, it's not about the letters at the end of your name.... it's the journey
Cody Hofsommer CF

RE:Certification AFA CF 20 Oct 2009 11:46 #19

• Dogwood Forge
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey Jarod,

Glad to see that you want to go through the certification process. As someone has already mentioned, you will find that this will have less and less to do with the initials behind your name as it does with what you learn through the process.

I passed my CF and my CJF on first attempts. I'd like to say I'm just that good but I had a boat load of help from very qualified mentors. I wrote an article about different things that helped me with my Journeyman. You can read it on the GPFA website. Go to the newsletter section and it is in the June 09 newsletter. There are some things there that may help you. (the link to the site is at the bottom of my window here)

One thing that has been mentioned that I will reiterate is to have a plan. You have got to know exactly what you are doing and when you are going to do it. Know how long you are going to spend trimming, dressing the foot, shaping the shoe, nailing, clinching, whatever. Sit down and write out your plan. Practice you plan on horses and then sit down and tweak it. Practice with a stop watch. Don't even go to take the test if you can't complete your live shoeing run in at least 10 to 15 min under time. You have got to have time to have your feet judged after the trim and after you fit your shoes. You also have to have time for Murphy. I went to a pre-cert deal in AL with Jason Harmason before I took my CJF exam. I had a written plan developed before I went. I was the only guy that finished on time that day in the practice run for the Journeymen and I started my run buy turning one of my shoes back wards. I had to straighten it and re turn it. If I had not been working my plan I would have never had the time for such a foe pa.

For the written tests I justed those Blombach study guides. A buddy of mine told me that he had studied the terms listed in the front part of those guides and that helped him. I didn't do that before my CF and I barely scraped by but I did do that before my CJF and made a 91. I took the terms listed in the study guide and made flash cards. I went through them everyday until I knew them up and down. I believe the reason that helps so much is because it forces you to learn the fundamentals behind the questions. If you study just the questions you will learn but if you study the fundamentals you will be able to work out the questions no matter how it is asked on the test. That can be the key when you get to the true/false section because they seem to be a bit more tricky.

As for your shoe board you may want to get the Chris Gregory video about shoe mods. You can get it from Hoofwatch.com It is an excellent video and really breaks things down for you. Also, your shoes must be flat, fit the pattern and nails will go in the nail holes! If it isn't flat, fit, and nailable it won't get pass the first go round. When you turn in your shoe board make sure it is shinny and smooth. Don't turn in a pile of shoes covered in slag that have been burnt up and beat to death. You have no time limit to make and prepare your shoe board so make it look like it. Brush your shoes, get after them with a wire wheel on a grinder. Make sure they are boxed and safed. Put heel checks in your shoes. Make lefts and rights. None of these things are judged per say but it shows your craftsmanship. It shows you took some pride in your work.

Last but not least, go to some competitions if you can. I could go on and on about this. You will meet a lot of good guys that will more than willing to help you. You will get to experience doing you work under pressure and under a time limit. Then you get to have it judged and critiqued by your peers. Most local state associations will host contests that have Divisions just for guys doing CF level work. In the last two weeks Georgia and Alabama have had contests and Div. 1 at both were set up for CF type shoe mods and shoeing. I know there is another competition coming up in NC the first weekend in Nov. that is set up the same way. You will get so much and learn so much from going to and entering completions you won't believe it. I highly recommend you go to some if you can.

Sorry if this has been a little all over the place. I just wrote this from the hip. If there is any thing I can do to help you or anyone working on there certification let me know. I may not be able to answerer your questions or show you but I bet I can find someone who can.

Stay in the fire and good luck
Chip Crumbly CJF, AWCF
http://www.georgiafarriers.org/

RE:Certification AFA CF 22 Oct 2009 00:03 #20

• chad rice
  • Very Senior Member
I have been reading butlers principles 3, do I need to get the prin.2 to study for the test, or is the info. still the same?

Thanks Chad
Chad Rice, CF

RE:Certification AFA CF 22 Oct 2009 00:45 #21

• Dogwood Forge
Chad you shouldn't have to get the other one. P3 is the most recent edition of Butlers book.
Chip Crumbly CJF, AWCF

RE:Certification AFA CF 22 Oct 2009 01:05 #22

• chad rice
  • Very Senior Member
Thanks Chip
Chad Rice, CF

RE:Certification AFA CF 22 Oct 2009 02:42 #23

Thanks A million guys!

Would you recommend getting Chris's DVD or Dusty's Program if you had to pick one. Or get both and not the patterns until just shortly before i take the certification.

Says one year before taking the CF from when I finished school? What is this based on and do you provide a ref?

Thanks,
Jarred
Jarred Oates
Oates Equine Service's
Farrier-Massage-Aromathearpy-Training

Hocking College Equine Science
(farrier, equine health, and wilderness horsemanship)

RE:Certification AFA CF 22 Oct 2009 03:12 #24

• Box Forge
oatey_hocking wrote:

Says one year before taking the CF from when I finished school? What is this based on and do you provide a ref?

Thanks,
Jarred

I've never known anyone to ask for any form of verification, to be honest with you, if you can pass everything on the test for the CF with less than a year working experience I don't think anyone would stand in your way.

And I haven't used either Chris's or Dusty's programs so I wouldn't know what to tell you; I was fortunate enough to have some help from about three seasoned CJFs when I was preparing for mine. If you are able to take a working vacation to AL for a few days or week, come on down and I'll work you in the shop till your arms fall off. I just got in from making 20 fullered fronts to put on the truck and I'm bout give out and ready for bed.
Phillip Box, Jr., CJF
AFA#9007

RE:Certification AFA CF 22 Oct 2009 03:14 #25

• Box Forge
chad rice wrote:
I have been reading butlers principles 3, do I need to get the prin.2 to study for the test, or is the info. still the same?

Thanks Chad

What chip said; I only have P2 b/c P3 wasn't out at the time I was needing the textbook.
Phillip Box, Jr., CJF
AFA#9007

RE:Certification AFA CF 22 Oct 2009 10:43 #26

• Dogwood Forge
oatey_hocking wrote:
Thanks A million guys!

Would you recommend getting Chris's DVD or Dusty's Program if you had to pick one. Or get both and not the patterns until just shortly before i take the certification.

Personally I don't think I would bother buying the patterns unless it just gives you a warm fuzzy. If you can shape a shoe you can shape a shoe so it shouldn't matter if it is to an aluminum plate, another shoe, or a foot. I made my barshoe for the shoe board first and then made the rest of my fronts to fit it because the bar shoe can be the most tricky to shape. I also made my square toe hind first and shaped the rest to it because it was the mod I struggled with the most.

I highly recommend Chris's DVDs. They seem to help me quite a bit because I could watch them over and over and catch little things that I had missed while working with other people.

I didn't even know about Dusty's study guide thing until I had already passed my CJF but a buddy of mine got it and said it beats the competition hands down. But it is geared a little more toward the written test I believe.

So to answer your question of which to buy, I would ask which is your biggest problem area: forging or book work?
Chip Crumbly CJF, AWCF

RE:Certification AFA CF 22 Oct 2009 10:47 #27

• Dogwood Forge
Box Forge wrote:
I just got in from making 20 fullered fronts.

Box are you going to NC w/ us? Is that why you are cranking out fullered shoes? If so, you are making me feel bad. I made 2 last night:D. And those two were out of the wrong stock and punched for the wrong nails.

Oh and your pritchel worked great by the way. It only took a grinder, power hammer, and two days worth of work but it is doing fine now.;) Just messing with ya, I've made a few shoes with it and it worked great.
Chip Crumbly CJF, AWCF

RE:Certification AFA CF 22 Oct 2009 15:08 #28

• Box Forge
Dogwood Forge wrote:
Box are you going to NC w/ us? Is that why you are cranking out fullered shoes? If so, you are making me feel bad. I made 2 last night:D. And those two were out of the wrong stock and punched for the wrong nails.

Oh and your pritchel worked great by the way. It only took a grinder, power hammer, and two days worth of work but it is doing fine now.;) Just messing with ya, I've made a few shoes with it and it worked great.

Yeah, I'm still going to NC; you mean you don't make a bunch of shoes everyday?... just kid'n, me either.. I was just feeling froggy after a light day yesterday and I was making them all in stages(bumped toe in all 20, turned toe in all 20, and so on.. it is amazing how your way of doing certain things will evolve when doing practice in the repetitive stages. By the time you get to about the 39th heel, you forge it a lot differently than you did the first 20. I wish I had done more of this in the past years. And as for the my pritchel making, I knew it would work good as I wake up every morning only to p!ss excellence. And I'll be happy to make as many as you wish to own for the same price as you and Tim paid at the auction. Well maybe we can come off that price a little. JK.. glad you're enjoying it. I will give you a call in a week or so to work out details on the NC contest. Take care and don't shoe too many, it will make your back hurt, i promise.
Phillip Box, Jr., CJF
AFA#9007

RE:Certification AFA CF 24 Oct 2009 02:07 #29

• chad rice
  • Very Senior Member
Jared, I ordered Dusty's study guide and DVD after seeing Trevors post. I think it has been well worth the money.
Chad Rice, CF

RE:Certification AFA CF 24 Oct 2009 15:25 #30

• texfarrier
This is the best thread i have seen in a while...i want to take my cf test bad but i still fill the need to study a little more...i have the Chris Gregory dvd set and i think its great..thanks for all the info
Austin Russell
"Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit"

Kunena Birthday Module

• Bigjoe03 birthday is today
  • Chris Logan birthday is today
  • rich8xman birthday is today
  • Boston Chicken birthday is in 1 day
  • citycowgirl birthday is in 1 day
  • Akiakamai birthday is in 2 days
  • ixchup_scaper birthday is in 2 days
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.