make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Tuesday September 27, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!!

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 13:02 #76

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 1
Phil Armitage wrote:
Hi Gary you should take the test. Do all three parts, written, shoe board and practical. I have to say this has been exciting, rewarding and educational.
Lets just say while I think it a worth while test I'm not elagable to take the test. So I guess it won't happen for awhile.
Gary Miller, PF

Ride hard, shoot straight, and always speak the truth.
Gunfighter Motto

"Our level of quality is how well our eye can see it." (Eric Russell, Oct 2008, Horseshoes.com)

"Discover what it is that makes you passionate then grab a firm...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 13:14 #77

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
Mike Ferrara wrote:
That would be true if he'd never taken any tests before. I don't know about Gary but I've probably taken hundreds of tests. Do you really think that one test is so very unique?
Not only have I taken hundreds of test many of them were timed tests. And while in the Air Force I was on many of what is called "Time Management or Quality teams" who's job it is to look at a process and figure out what could be done to do the job more proficiently with less steps. Many of these team had nothing to do with my job. It seems that someone outside the process is better able to find parts of a process that maybe are not necessary or that can be done differently to make things more proficient which in turn increases speed.

Just the placement of your tools can save you alot of time.
Gary Miller, PF

Gunfighter Motto

"Our level of quality is how well our eye can see it." (Eric Russell, Oct 2008, Horseshoes.com)

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 13:28 #78

• Bill Adams
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 9
Gary_Miller wrote:
Lets just say while I think it a worth while test I'm not elagable to take the test. So I guess it won't happen for awhile.

Why aren't you eligible, and what dose the "PF" after your name stand for?

A rightous man regardeth the life of his beast. Proverbs 12:10
I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. Mark Twain

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 13:51 #79

• BS-Horseshoeing
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 4
Mike Ferrara wrote:
That would be true if he'd never taken any tests before. I don't know about Gary but I've probably taken hundreds of tests. Do you really think that one test is so very unique?

I've taken and given hundreds of tests also, I was a teacher, history and political science, in high schools. I know how testing works. If you guys are so dam good at this, why can't you stand up and show everyone. As good as you guys think you are at tests and shoeing it should be a walk in the park. Pay your dues for one year and find a testing site close to home, you should be able to pass the test a week after joining the way you two talk. Prove to us lower types how smart you are. It's a tougher test than you think. You pay money to take it, money for travel and food, then hang your but out for others to judge and have to do it in time. If that's easy just cause you've taken other tests and doesn't put any pressure on you, good for you. You must be the shoeing god you think you are. I'm not going to argue with you guys anymore, we've been down this road to many times. Either take the test and give an experienced educated opinion or keep sniping without taking it. I and many others will listen and respect your opinions way more after you've given it a shot.

How can you not be eligible Gary? Afraid to pay your dues for fear the AFA will pick on you for something?
Ben Sturman
AFA CF #7558

Tough times never last, but tough people do!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, one lick and you will suck for ever!

Folks who think traditional farriery means perimeter fit don't know a heluva lot about shoeing. Tom Stovall,...

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 14:54 #80

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 3
BS-Horseshoeing wrote:
I've taken and given hundreds of tests also, I was a teacher, history and political science, in high schools. I know how testing works. If you guys are so dam good at this, why can't you stand up and show everyone. As good as you guys think you are at tests and shoeing it should be a walk in the park. Pay your dues for one year and find a testing site close to home, you should be able to pass the test a week after joining the way you two talk. Prove to us lower types how smart you are. It's a tougher test than you think. You pay money to take it, money for travel and food, then hang your but out for others to judge and have to do it in time. If that's easy just cause you've taken other tests and doesn't put any pressure on you, good for you. You must be the shoeing god you think you are. I'm not going to argue with you guys anymore, we've been down this road to many times. Either take the test and give an experienced educated opinion or keep sniping without taking it. I and many others will listen and respect your opinions way more after you've given it a shot.

How can you not be eligible Gary? Afraid to pay your dues for fear the AFA will pick on you for something?

I'm not arguing and I didn't say that anything was easy. You are the only one who referred to anyone as being "higher" or "lower". My only point was that I do indeed know what it's like to be tested...timed tests and tests specifically designed to test response in a stressful and even potentially dangerous situations...and in front of people.

Pay money and travel to take it? I pay and travel more than enough as it is. I'm in this business to make money. It's not a hobby and or a game for me. One thing I can say about most of the other tests I've taken is that they were a required part of earning a credential that I needed to do something I wanted to do or to earn a living.

Pay my dues? Who the hell are you? I'm 50, I've been working since I was 15, raised two kids and I've been paying dues the whole time.

At this point in my life, you think I'd feel I have anything to prove to you? You must think a lot of yourself. Put yourself in a position where your opinion is somehow important and I'll do what I have to do when called upon to do so just like I always have.

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 16:19 #81

• vthorseshoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 55
Phil, enjoy your trip to Virginia to finish your CF testing.

Time management, placement of tools, looking at your horse and making decisions before you start trimming.
Have your shoe shape already in your head will allow your hands to make the shoe.

Wasted steps cost you in time and confidence and create frustration.

Don't let them dope the horse. if your n ot happy with the horse then request another one.

Don't have conversations with spectators while working...stay focused on the job at hand.

Have a couple of shoe's all preped before you start.
Heel checks, sole relief, proper nails for the shoe's being used etc...

Have extra pritchel and other tools in case one breaks during testing.

Now eat your wheaty's and go "git er done"

take care friend and stay safe down and back.

Bruce
"you may not like what I say" !
-but-
"you'll never have any doubts where I stand
quote Cindy Matthews 1948-2006

I thought my life had come to a close with Cindy's passing, but there is life after death Thankyou Sharon !

Bruce Matthews
Southeast...

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 16:29 #82

• Tom Stovall CJF
  • Master
Gary_Miller in gray

In the end it all about the horse having what it needs in order to do what is expected of it. While there is an order of steps that need to be taken in order to ensure the horse can do it work. Time management has nothing to do with it.

Nonsense. You appear to be attempting to argue that managing one's time somehow interferes with one's ability to give each horse EXACTLY what it needs to do whatever it does as best it possibly can. Your argument is specious.

Knowing the steps having what you need in order to complete the steps will all help in ensuring you can complete the task at hand with high quality work.

Close, but no cigar. Time management is about giving a horse what it needs in the most efficient manner possible while maintaining quality, it's not about reducing quality.

In the normal everyday work environment there is no need for speed only proficiency in order to provide high quality work.

Whatever gave you the silly idea that proficiency and the ability to provide high quality work somehow suffer if one learns to manage one's time? Do you feel futzing about and dwaddling through a shoeing job is somehow indicative of proficiency?

These [paddock plating, show farriery] would not be considered the normal work environment, and while speed maybe important at times, proficiency is more important.

For some of us, the paddock or in gate comprise normalcy. Does this make paddock platers and show farriers abnormal? :) That said, do you think that being slow is indicative of proficiency? If one manages ones time, speed and proficiency go hand-in-hand because there's no need to think about the next step, no hesitation, and no wondering what comes next.

Part of time management is proper scheduling of your day.

Scheduling one's day has nothing to do with a trainer's asking you to do one more when you're working on the last horse on your list. Are you the only farrier in the world who has never had a client ask you to shoe one more?

Knowing the steps needed in order to complete the task and ensuring you have the equipment necessary to get the job done. Proper placement of your tools and the horse so you don't have to make any necessary steps. All will help you to accomplish the task at hand quicker with more efficiency. Efficiency only happens when you make the proper movements.

Again, close but no cigar - but you're getting close. You've just described several elements of time management; however, knowing which steps to take and having the ability to take those steps in the most efficient manner are two different things.

Proficiency and quality is more important than speed. If your proficient you don't have to think what you do you just do it.

One hates to labor the obvious, but proficiency, quality and efficiency are not mutually exclusive. Simply put, time management is about performing a given task without wasting time, not about reducing quality.

Having confidence in your abilities and being proficient at the job has alot more to do with not "vapor locking" than speed will ever have.

You're almost there! Having confidence in one's ability has NOTHING to do with proficiency - the whackn'tack crowd on the periphery of acceptable farriery may have confidence in their ability, but that confidence is misplaced because most are incapable of giving a horse what it needs. On the other hand, if one has the ability to give a horse what it needs and learns to manage one's time, proficiency is a given, speed comes with efficiency, and confidence is the end result. Of course, when there's lotsa folks watching, being a little bit of a showoff doesn't hurt either. :)
Tom Stovall, CJF
"The only foolish question is the one left unasked."

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 16:56 #83

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 3
Tom Stovall, CJF wrote:
Do you feel futzing about and dwaddling through a shoeing job is somehow indicative of proficiency?

Sometimes it's indicative of age and/or wear and tear.

How much time do I have to do my work at the anvil? Typically, as long as my back and legs need before going back under the horse. LOL if I get it fit or built too fast, I just have to find something else to do for a while.

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 17:05 #84

• T. Wm. HALL
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Phil,

First of all, Congratulations on your passing of the written portion of the CF. Secondly, Best of luck with your upcoming test in Virginia.

I was narrow minded (and un-educated) towards the AFA Certification until visiting with Dusty Franklin on my way through Oklahoma to Alabama a few months ago. I decided to place efforts towards obtaining my CF credentials. I recently tested in Washington, and while I did not pass the written portion (barely) I did happen to pass the shoe board and the practical portion. I spent too much time in the fire and not enough time in the books! :rolleyes:

I believe that the aspect of the exam being timed has a huge role in the test. The exam is based on quality obviously and having to have it done within a set time. I agree with Mr. Stovall on all his points. It was a very challenging test and it was very important to practice time management.

Prior to my test, I had prepared several sets of shoes, then narrowed it down when I was assigned my horse. I had my work station prepared just as I would in real life, and had extra shoes in the fire in case I botched one that I was working on. I was quite nervous prior to my test, but once I began rolling through it, it was very challenging yet it flowed like any other horse I had worked on. I finished with a few minutes to spare and was able to reset some errant clinches and buff up my feet until time was called.

Phil, I know if I can do it, you can do it too! Again, best of luck to you on your next test and I commend your courage in taking the test again.
Trevor Wm. Hall, CF
Hall's Horseshoeing
Redmond, Oregon U.S.A.
www.Hallshorseshoeing.com

He that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools. ~Confuscius

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 20:22 #85

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
Mike Ferrara wrote:
I'm not arguing and I didn't say that anything was easy. You are the only one who referred to anyone as being "higher" or "lower". My only point was that I do indeed know what it's like to be tested...timed tests and tests specifically designed to test response in a stressful and even potentially dangerous situations...and in front of people.

Pay money and travel to take it? I pay and travel more than enough as it is. I'm in this business to make money. It's not a hobby and or a game for me. One thing I can say about most of the other tests I've taken is that they were a required part of earning a credential that I needed to do something I wanted to do or to earn a living.

Pay my dues? Who the hell are you? I'm 50, I've been working since I was 15, raised two kids and I've been paying dues the whole time.

At this point in my life, you think I'd feel I have anything to prove to you? You must think a lot of yourself. Put yourself in a position where your opinion is somehow important and I'll do what I have to do when called upon to do so just like I always have.
What Mike said!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D
Gary Miller, PF

Gunfighter Motto

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 20:31 #86

Phil-

Congrats on your score. I know that you have gotten alot of advice so far, but here's my 2 cents anyway.
When you get your horse before time starts, score him right after the shoes are pulled, that will help you save time on trimming. For example, if you look at the foot and the frog is an 8, don't touch it!! You have plenty of time before the start to evaluate so have your score sheet handy, go right down the list, act like you're the examiner and think about what needs improvement and what doesn't. That will help you when you discuss your horse with your examiner too.
Hope this helps you, it sure helped me when Jason Harmeson and Kenny Lyon explained it like that to me. Good luck on your next test.
'The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to prevailing superstition or taboo.'
--H. L. Mencken

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 20:33 #87

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
BS-Horseshoeing wrote:
How can you not be eligible Gary?
AFA rules say one must be a AFA member in good standing. As of April 30th I'am no longer a member of the AFA. Therefore I am inelagable to test.

BS-Horseshoeing wrote:
Afraid to pay your dues for fear the AFA will pick on you for something?
There is not much I'm afraid of in this world. Being picked on is not one of them. I have just had enough with the AFA and have chosen to no longer give them my money.
Gary Miller, PF

Gunfighter Motto

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 20:46 #88

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
Bill Adams wrote:
Why aren't you eligible,
Explained.

Bill Adams wrote:
and what dose the "PF" after your name stand for?
Read this thread you will get your answer.http://horseshoes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10016&highlight=Professional+Farrier
Gary Miller, PF

Gunfighter Motto

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 20:57 #89

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
Tom Stovall, CJF wrote:
Scheduling one's day has nothing to do with a trainer's asking you to do one more when you're working on the last horse on your list. Are you the only farrier in the world who has never had a client ask you to shoe one more?
Learning how to say "No" is one of the hardest thing in the world to do. However, I have found that most people understand that you don't have time as you have to be somewhere else. That's why they ask in the first place. If you don't have time you don't have time. Its how you handle it after you say no that matters.
Gary Miller, PF

Gunfighter Motto

RE:Phil Armitage scored a 95 on his CF written !!!! 10 Jun 2009 21:10 #90

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
Tom Stovall, CJF wrote:
Whatever gave you the silly idea that proficiency and the ability to provide high quality work somehow suffer if one learns to manage one's time?
I never said that proficiency and ability suffer if one learns to manage their time. It is quit the oppisate manageing of ones time will improve your proficiency. However, time management has nothing to do with completeing the task within a given time period. It has to do with constructively/productively using ones time wisely. Speed is not time management, however time management will produce speed.

Tom Stovall, CJF wrote:
Do you feel futzing about and dwaddling through a shoeing job is somehow indicative of proficiency?
Your words not mine.

Tom Stovall, CJF wrote:
That said, do you think that being slow is indicative of proficiency?
Not anymore than being fast.

Tom Stovall, CJF wrote:
If one manages ones time, speed and proficiency go hand-in-hand because there's no need to think about the next step, no hesitation, and no wondering what comes next.
Speed does not proficiency make. Proficiency produces speed.
Gary Miller, PF

Gunfighter Motto

Kunena Birthday Module

• irideazippo birthday is today
  • McCutcheon969 birthday is today
  • RidingGrace birthday is today
  • trueworthy birthday is today
  • 56power65 birthday is in 1 day
  • Brenda-MI birthday is in 1 day
  • farriergodmother birthday is in 1 day
  • Jetikarabbit birthday is in 1 day
  • Myr_4089 birthday is in 1 day
  • texfarrier birthday is in 1 day
  • lindar131 birthday is in 363 days
  • Dennis Peveto birthday is in 364 days
  • ironmanhorseshoeing birthday is in 364 days
  • Robyn Beane birthday is in 364 days
  • vanderblij birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.