make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Saturday May 28, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 04 Oct 2011 21:21 #16

• Katy Watts
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 11
Ronald Aalders wrote:
I sometimes wonder that we as farriers and vets "in the field" should take more time in stepping up and presenting our findings on why our approaches work and in which cases they did not work, in stead of running from one cripple to another.

Perhaps all hoofcare professionals should consider that addressing and eliminating the cause of laminitis is imperative to successful treatment. Otherwise, what you do or don't do to the feet is moot. I've known of many horses with laminitis that responded very well to either diet changes or proper medication for Cushing's with NOTHING done to the feet. Remember, the feet are attached to a whole horse. We must attend to the whole horse.
Are you feeding your horse like a cow?
www.safergrass.org
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 04 Oct 2011 21:34 #17

• brian robertson
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 22
I think the problem lies with the fact that there is too many variables involved with the onset of laminitis to successfully compare one horse with another. Even with the use of xrays and venograms, we are, unknowingly, trying to compare apples to oranges, in most cases.

For instance, in the last couple of weeks I've been dealing with 3 acute laminitis cases, all severe and I can't tell which of any will get "better"/survive or which will die.

the first is a lateral sinker that will most likely slough the right front and probably the left also; she's never really been that lame and has a very bright outlook. wearing wedges and equicast, hard to keep her from trotting in the stall.

The second is a Potomac fever survivor, slight rotation but still has 12mm to 13mm of sole depth wearing styrofoam and impression material. Reluctant to move much, still very depressed not much "will to live".

The third is a morbidly obese, large pony, severe rotation in all 4 feet, with less than 5mm of sole and draining abcesses in all feet; wearing glued up alum "W" shoes on front and she's hard to catch in a 24' x 24' dirt lot "diet pen" because they don't have a barn/stall

All are laminitic but certainly not the same...

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 05 Oct 2011 00:20 #18

• Jaye Perry
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 1
Katy Watts wrote:
Perhaps all hoofcare professionals should consider that addressing and eliminating the cause of laminitis is imperative to successful treatment. ,,,,.

Really Katie, Two suggestions is all I give. Third time is woeful misery. Owners are responsible for their horses, not farriers. Our responsibility is to do the best we can do with what is presented; not a church sermon to the "-d-umb (m)asses".:rolleyes:

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 05 Oct 2011 00:34 #19

• Anthony_Lawrence
  • Very Senior Member
Jaye Perry wrote:
Really Katie, Two suggestions is all I give. Third time is woeful misery. Owners are responsible for their horses, not farriers. Our responsibility is to do the best we can do with what is presented; not a church sermon to the "-d-umb (m)asses".:rolleyes:

Yeah I sort of agree Jaye... well fully agree.

'Cept if one on my book starts looking a bit cresty, I read the riot act to the owner... laminitis is the last thing I want to contend with if it can be avoided with a bit of 'shock treatment'.
Ant.

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 05 Oct 2011 00:41 #20

• reillyshoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 7
Ronald Aalders wrote:
What keeps surprising me, shoeing laminitic horses for a long time now, is that good results are claimed by other -well respected!- shoers as well, using protocols that actually contradict the way I shoe most laminitic horses.

Ronald Aalders

Yeah, well heart bar shoes work sometimes and NB shoes and glue on shoes and clogs and casts and barefoot and Redden ultimates and banana shoes and boots and (get the point?)...everything works on some horses, nothing works on every horse.
P

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 05 Oct 2011 00:47 #21

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
According to Jeff Holder, intracranial pb injections work on all of 'em. It's a one shot deal. :eek:
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 05 Oct 2011 00:59 #22

• Anthony_Lawrence
  • Very Senior Member
tbloomer wrote:
According to Jeff Holder, intracranial pb injections work on all of 'em. It's a one shot deal. :eek:

That works on a lot of things. :p
Ant.

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 05 Oct 2011 12:09 #23

• Katy Watts
  • Very Senior Member
Jaye Perry wrote:
Owners are responsible for their horses, not farriers. Our responsibility is to do the best we can do with what is presented; not a church sermon

Agree you are not responsible, but you can be a hero if you get them to change the diet along with your hoofcare. That is why the barefooters are successful coming in after a farrier who will not take the time or use the right tactics for educating the owner. Perhaps if you could change your style of delivery from preacher to educator you could be more effective? Stress the 'new science' aspect.
www.safergrass.org

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 05 Oct 2011 14:11 #24

• tbloomer
  • Master
Katy Watts wrote:
Agree you are not responsible, but you can be a hero if you get them to change the diet along with your hoofcare. That is why the barefooters are successful coming in after a farrier who will not take the time or use the right tactics for educating the owner. Perhaps if you could change your style of delivery from preacher to educator you could be more effective? Stress the 'new science' aspect.
Though I have seen a lot of "claims" on various barefoot web sites in regard to this "success" getting owners to change diet, I have not seen this "barefooter educator" phenomena deliver such results in the real world of my experience in my sand pile.

Out of the hundreds of clients that I have referred to safergrass.org for the latest "new science," I have seen only 2 or 3 of these referrals actually go look at the information.

Perhaps If I took the time to sit down with these people at their computer and read it to them out loud . . . then call them every day and ask them what they fed their horse, did they remember to put on the grazing muzzle, did they soak their hay . . . Oh, but I've been there and did that too!

In my experience with chronic metabolic laminitis cases, most horses I see are suffering as the result of willful neglect.
And when I have had a chance to compare notes (trying to get a truthful history, because as Dr. House would say, "People lie about history") with the previous hoofcare provider, attending vet, etc. invariably I discover that HISTORICALLY, everybody else that ever saw the horse in the past gave due diligence warning and attempted to "educate."
Tom Bloomer
302-222-6404

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 05 Oct 2011 15:45 #25

• Katy Watts
  • Very Senior Member
Tom,
That's very depressing.

As an experiment: Pete Ramey says sometimes this works: Say 'I cannot fix this horses feet until you do your job of changing its diet. This is a waste of my time. ' then pack up and leave without attending the feet. He said sometimes his butt hits the truck seat before they call him back and are ready to listen. Maybe some of you need the work, but others may truly get torn up by these horses and it might be better for your own peace of mind to walk away from the heartache. Maybe they will find someone who they will listen too before the horse completely crashes.

Maybe by continuing to let these clients think its all about hoofcare, you are enabling them? I dunno why some people won't listen. I've an appointment next week for a call with a PhD in psychology who wrote a book about horse people. We are planning to write an article for Safergrass.org about feeding horses to fulfill our own emotional needs. Maybe it will help. After my 8 hour lecture on metabolic issues in horses and how to fix it, women still come up and say 'but he won't love me anymore if I don't give him grain'. These are the owners that are very hard to reach with a rational, scientific approach. They want someone to hold their hand and say 'you are such a Good Mommy, but here's a way you can be an even better Good Mommy. I have little patience with them as well, which is why I can't write this article without a diplomatic collaborator.
www.safergrass.org

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 05 Oct 2011 16:36 #26

• reillyshoe
  • Master
Katy Watts wrote:

I disagree Katy. I do not think farriers should be emulating the barefooters who profess to be an expert in feet and diet and lameness and training. I am not an expert in nutrition, and I know this because I have listened to countless lectures on nutrition and diet. I do know where to find the expert, and I happily refer the owner to the expert.

Farriers providing advice on nutrition is just as inappropriate as a nutritionist providing farrier care to a laminitic horse. Point people in the right direction, but let the experts be the experts.
P

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 05 Oct 2011 17:46 #27

• tbloomer
  • Master
Thank you Patrick. :)

This is a situation where professional ETHICS involves recognizing and delegating authority. I don't consult on diet, bloodwork, etc. "Don't ask me, ask your veterinarian." And, I don't give 'second opinions' or undermine what the vet says about diet and management since the owner can always get another veterinarian's opinion.

Besides, the more occupied the vet is discussing diet and management issues with the owner the less inclined they are to tell the owner how I should be shoeing the horse. :cool:
Tom Bloomer
302-222-6404

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 05 Oct 2011 20:04 #28

• Katy Watts
  • Very Senior Member
reillyshoe wrote:
I disagree Katy. I do not think farriers should be emulating the barefooters who profess to be an expert in feet and diet and lameness and training. I am not an expert in nutrition,

I'm not sure they claim to be expert, but its pretty easy for many horse people to know more than some horse owners. Lets face it; some horse owners are pretty clueless. We make attempts at educating them for the good of the poor horses who have ended up in their care.

You may not be an expert in YOUR opinion, but if you know more about the dietary causes of laminitis from attendance at recent conferences, then for sure you know more than the owner does. And often you know more about training and lameness than they do. You don't need to dictate details of the diet. You just have to get them to seek out someone who is willing to educate them. Say "hey, I just went to a conference that explained how laminitis can be caused by insulin. Your horse's cresty neck and the fact that he's overweight says he's a pretty good candidate for insulin resistance. If a person cuts out the grain and finds hay low in sugar, it can stop laminitis or prevent it from happening in horses that look like yours. Here's some websites that can give you more details. "

The definition of expert: A person with a high degree of skill in or knowledge of a certain subject.

You don't need letters after your name to be an expert. Anyone can be an expert. I am acknowledged as an expert in carbohydrates in grass. It was from self study.
Perhaps there are others out there who have done enough self study to be considered an expert in diet or lameness or training. That's how it works in the horse world outside of academia. More knowledgeable folks teach the newbies.

Some of the barefooters who take the time to educate horse owners with a 'holistic' approach are much appreciated by their clients, and the horses are often better off for their efforts. Some, maybe not all. No reason that farriers with some extra time, who are experienced horsemen can do the same and charge for it just like the barefooters do.
www.safergrass.org

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 05 Oct 2011 22:20 #29

• reillyshoe
  • Master
Katy Watts wrote:
I'm not sure they claim to be expert, but its pretty easy for many horse people to know more than some horse owners. Lets face it; some horse owners are pretty clueless. We make attempts at educating them for the good of the poor horses who have ended up in their care.

You may not be an expert in YOUR opinion, but if you know more about the dietary causes of laminitis from attendance at recent conferences, then for sure you know more than the owner does. And often you know more about training and lameness than they do. You don't need to dictate details of the diet. You just have to get them to seek out someone who is willing to educate them. Say "hey, I just went to a conference that explained how laminitis can be caused by insulin. Your horse's cresty neck and the fact that he's overweight says he's a pretty good candidate for insulin resistance. If a person cuts out the grain and finds hay low in sugar, it can stop laminitis or prevent it from happening in horses that look like yours. Here's some websites that can give you more details. "

The definition of expert: A person with a high degree of skill in or knowledge of a certain subject.

You don't need letters after your name to be an expert. Anyone can be an expert. I am acknowledged as an expert in carbohydrates in grass. It was from self study.
Perhaps there are others out there who have done enough self study to be considered an expert in diet or lameness or training. That's how it works in the horse world outside of academia. More knowledgeable folks teach the newbies.

Some of the barefooters who take the time to educate horse owners with a 'holistic' approach are much appreciated by their clients, and the horses are often better off for their efforts. Some, maybe not all. No reason that farriers with some extra time, who are experienced horsemen can do the same and charge for it just like the barefooters do.

Katy,
Do you feel comfortable evaluating the hoofcare on a laminitic horse? If so, do you charge for your assessment?

I certainly agree that you do not have to have letters after your name to be an expert. There are certainly very skilled and knowledgeable farriers who have not achieved certifications. In my opinion, it would be better for me to refer a client with nutrition questions to you and to have you refer farrier questions from your clients to a farrier of your choice. There are not many people with the education to be a holistic equine practitioner, and we do everyone involved a disservice if we try (especially the horse).
P

RE:Palmar Angles' Effect on Laminitic Horse Hooves 06 Oct 2011 00:27 #30

• Katy Watts
  • Very Senior Member
reillyshoe wrote:
There are not many people with the education to be a holistic equine practitioner, and we do everyone involved a disservice if we try (especially the horse).

I am not suggesting that you hang out your shingle as a holistic practitioner. I would just like to see farriers pass along some useful tidbits of information about possible causation and where owners can get more information when you see feet with signs of laminitis. Like all caring horse folks do when they see a horse who's owner is not up to speed on current knowledge. Especially when you are making part of your living off that horse.

I am looking forward to hearing Dr. Don Walsh talk at ELPO this weekend. He is saying the same thing I have been attempting here. Farriers are an important resource for noting signs of impending or mild laminitis before uninformed owners would notice. You can help in a much needed role for prevention, if you care to participate.
www.safergrass.org

Kunena Birthday Module

• JWHORSESHOEING birthday is today
  • TheCircleT birthday is today
  • THOROBREDS birthday is today
  • Chris Daniel birthday is in 1 day
  • FordWayFarm birthday is in 1 day
  • Hillbilly898 birthday is in 1 day
  • songlyrics32F075 birthday is in 363 days
  • SonnysMom birthday is in 363 days
  • Rude_n_Ugly birthday is in 364 days
  • Russ in WI birthday is in 364 days
  • Tcasey1968 birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.