make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Sunday July 3, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why did this farrier do this?

Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 16:06 #1

• Rolltoptx
21 y/o appendix mare with metabolic disorder. Feb 14 - 3 degree rotation Mar 17- 10 degree rotation May 25 -23 degrees despite diet changes and cimetidine. This mare was comfortable in shoes AND soft ride boots only.

Previous farrier left toes to long during that time and vet instructed previous farrier to remove several inches of the toe and add a 2 degree wedge. The picture I've posted show that the farrier did trim back the toe considerably and added the wedge but put the old shoe back on with a large gap between the hoof and shoe. He negates the break over he just created by trimming back the toe and then putting the same shoe back on that is now clearly to big!

Can anyone explain his methodology? (Sorry for the horrible pictures, the mare couldn't see her buddy and wouldn't stand still long enough to get a decent photo.)
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 16:25 #2

• Gary Hill
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 6
The last photo would of been better if you would have cleaned it off, but can see that it is a heartbar. So the reason the toe is up like it is is so there is no pressure on the sole of the hoof, when you have rotation it is the coffin bone that rotates and the tip of the bone at the toe makes the sole flat as it drops...Nice job considering the problem...
"As I see it, winners get the money - while losers talk of "individual goals" and similar stuff." Tom Stovall

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 16:35 #3

• Rolltoptx
I know the photos are horrible.. this mare wouldn't stand still long enough for me to take the picture.

The shoe placement seems to far forward as if he never trimmed back the toe though. When it catches debris, its as if the toe is there and putting pressure back on the hoof isn't it? Why not rock or square the toe instead?

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 16:35 #4

• MPLdyCop
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 7
I would love to see some lateral shots, if that is possible.

My opinion is that the break over is not a problem when shod like this because with the gap there is no "stretching of the laminae" when the horse is breaking over. My concern would be more of how the derotation attempts have not succeeded. Heels brought back far enough, etc.
Kim Turner

www.totalhorsecare.net

Dr. House "You were right, Counts for nothing if you can't defend it."

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 16:38 #5

• Ray_Knightley
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
Due to the laminitis the dorsal wall has lost it's correct connection to the pedel bone .
The shoeing here supports p3 with the bar, and pad over the Back of the foot. The dorsal margin of p3 is floated so it has no ground pressure ,the lose dorsal wall will not only stretch forward under pressure .
It will also put pressure on the dorsal coronary area causing pain as to detached wall gets pushed up by ground pressure as the hoof breaksover as the horses moves ...floating the toe will switch off this danger ,and help the dorsal wall to grow down in the correct angle.

If the horse is happy it's going the right way in these shoes .

Hope that helps?

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 16:51 #6

• Rolltoptx
I'm not doubting the heart bar or the pad, I'm not sure why he'd choose to float the toe in this case. He has far greater experience than I in corrective shoeing but I have lost a bit of faith in his work considering his previous work on this mare. She has been in heart bars since Feb, but he left the toes way to long with the RF being a full 1/2" longer than the left.

I should also note, there is no change in the horse's comfort level, and still wears her soft rides.

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 16:56 #7

• Rolltoptx
MPLdyCop wrote:
I would love to see some lateral shots, if that is possible.

My opinion is that the break over is not a problem when shod like this because with the gap there is no "stretching of the laminae" when the horse is breaking over. My concern would be more of how the derotation attempts have not succeeded. Heels brought back far enough, etc.

The lateral shots I obtained were too blurry.. Iphones take great pictures but it was no match for this naughty mare.

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 17:29 #8

• Gary Hill
  • Guru
It depends on how each individual horse responds to shoe placement, some do good with a short toe and quicker breakover and others do well with a little longer lever...as long as the horse moves around, doesnt lay down from long periods it is most likely doing fine...give it some time, you can clearly see the ring growing down from when the laminitic problem began..
"As I see it, winners get the money - while losers talk of "individual goals" and similar stuff." Tom Stovall

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 18:18 #9

• Rolltoptx
I attached her xrays. The first set is from March when she was at her worst (pain wise). We pulled her shoes and put her in pads and soft rides at that point to improve her comfort. The previous farrier also had xrays to guide him each time trimming at 4-5 week intervals.

The last xray is her right foot which is slightly less rotated .2 degrees than the left but she is more sore on her right foot which would suggest to me that she is more comfortable with a shorter break over.

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 18:34 #10

• Ray_Knightley
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
One reason for not removing too much toe and instead floating that area is to not remove the connection between medial /lateral wall ,this is done sometimes if it's not sure how much M/L laminar detachment is in the case at hand .

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 19:19 #11

• Clint Burrell
  • Very Senior Member
Was the horse better, worse, or the same after shoeing?

You've been given valid reasons for what was done though anyone/everyone may do things a bit different, myself included.

You apparently don't like/agree w/ what this farrier has done, but was it detrimental to the horse?

Had the farrier not rasped the toes back, as per the vet, in order to maintain hoof wall integrity, you would still complain.

It may not be completely right, but it's not wrong either.

As someone on here say's quite often, "It depends".

My suggestion is to do this farrier a favor and not to use him/her on your horses.
Clint Burrell

"You say your from collage,
but you don't seem to bright.
You just brought a swichblade
to a pistol fight"
Move On by Chris Knight

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 19:28 #12

• Gary Hill
  • Guru
This horse is going to go back and forth on which hoof feels worse than the other..They are both bad and he/she will alternate weight bearing for quite a while until better horn grows down...the damage has for the most part been done, now damage control is what you are after..Good Luck!

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 19:57 #13

• MPLdyCop
  • Master
In terms of how I "like" to see laminitic horses treated..........

I'd be a Redden fan over a Chapman fan. The farrier I apprentice with (when he has the time now it seems :() is a Chapman fan. So we don't agree on the treatment methods for laminitis. I'll say this though, it's very true that not every horse responds the same to the same treatments. Both Redden and Chapman have had great success with their vastly different methods.
Kim Turner

www.totalhorsecare.net

Dr. House "You were right, Counts for nothing if you can't defend it."

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 20:10 #14

• Rolltoptx
Clint,

The horse is about the same.. she still needs to wear her soft rides. This mare is client's horse (I have farrier training but chose not to go that route as I prefer training and showing) and the client values my opinion... I personally would've done things different as you said you would've but I'm still trying to understand his methodology. The heart bar, the width of the shoe, the pads.. all of that looks fine to me. I understand floating the toe (although not to the degree he did where debris can get lodged in between the shoe and the hoof). However, the vet was more concerned with break over and DFT mechanics and I'm not sure why you can't have both in this case.

What would you have done differently?

RE:Why did this farrier do this? 28 May 2011 20:11 #15

• david a hall
  • Very Senior Member
MPLdyCop wrote:
In terms of how I "like" to see laminitic horses treated..........

I'd be a Redden fan over a Chapman fan. The farrier I apprentice with (when he has the time now it seems :() is a Chapman fan. So we don't agree on the treatment methods for laminitis. I'll say this though, it's very true that not every horse responds the same to the same treatments. Both Redden and Chapman have had great success with their vastly different methods.
Am i missing something, How many have you treated?

Kunena Birthday Module

• Brazilian Farrier birthday is today
  • joplin_18_wren birthday is today
  • kbrooks1110 birthday is today
  • Doo Hume birthday is in 1 day
  • NeliaShott birthday is in 1 day
  • Txfarrier birthday is in 1 day
  • My2Mares birthday is in 363 days
  • barefoot1 birthday is in 364 days
  • DavidinGA birthday is in 364 days
  • halfmiler birthday is in 364 days
  • hoofwoman birthday is in 364 days
  • Horsegeek birthday is in 364 days
  • michaelgalik birthday is in 364 days
  • Ray K Miller Jr birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.