make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Thursday January 27, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DFT lesion and neurectomy

DFT lesion and neurectomy 10 Mar 2011 02:22 #1

• Rick Talbert
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 1
I shoe a chronic foundered horse that is very lame due to a DFT lesion, nothing has seemed to help very much. It is stoic to hoof testers across the sole, but shows heel pain (not so much with the testers, but very evident at a walk). Nav bone appears ok, but without clogs and a #4 curtis hamilton wedge it doesn't want to take a step. The horse doesn't respond well to taking away the wedge, nor does it respond well to frog support. I inherited the case a year ago, and we have managed to rebuild a good bit of sole mass, but regardless of the shoeing strategy applied the lameness remains significant. Horse has been this way for more than 5 years and is has been a long term daily pain med addict. It was my thought that it is time to consider a neurectomy, but was told that this may cause vasculature problems since the horse has foundered and therefore could cause the hoof capsule to detach. I have never heard of this being a potential problem, and cannot find any info to cite secondary vasculature complications of nuerectomies in foundered hooves. Has anyone had any experience with this being an issue?
Rick Talbert
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:DFT lesion and neurectomy 10 Mar 2011 22:14 #2

• Ray_Knightley
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
Would be a very dangerous thing to do I would think ,and lasts sometimes less than two years ,those nerve ends dock on somewhere just introducing a new pain at the end of the day ,if the tip of p3 does not pop out first .

Does the horse not have a pedel ostitis maybe if nothing is working from outside ?

RE:DFT lesion and neurectomy 11 Mar 2011 15:09 #3

• mwmyersdvm
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 11
Dr. Redden has had experiences with these. The horse moves too much on the damaged tissue and ecentually sloughs the hoof. A neurectomy will only work if a low palmar block is effective. I treated a long standing chronic case that had a neurectomy done at a referral center. It was not effective and I got him going again with a Redden Wedge aluminum shoe that was greatly rockered. If we could see some films and video of this horse, more assistance may be able to be rendered. There is also a neuritis condition that has been seen in these chronic cases, especially in the winter. Can you give a bit more detailed history of the case? Any possibility of this horse being insulin resistant?

M. W. Myers, D.V.M.

RE:DFT lesion and neurectomy 11 Mar 2011 16:50 #4

• brian robertson
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 22
What exactly does it take, for some folks to say, "this horse needs to die"?

RE:DFT lesion and neurectomy 12 Mar 2011 00:43 #5

• mwmyersdvm
  • Very Senior Member
I have had some horses that if everything is pulled into place can recover to a reasonable level of comfort. Diet, pasture control, checking for metabolic problems, etc. The horse I worked on earleir in this string was lame for four years and went back to giving lessons. Perhaps if I saw this horse I might concur on euthanasia, but I really don't have enough data to recommend this. If there are no funds to do this fully and all of the usual areas have been covered then I would readily agree.

M. W. Myers, D.V.M.

RE:DFT lesion and neurectomy 12 Mar 2011 06:11 #6

• Rick Talbert
  • Master
I dont have any videos, sorry. Horse has had a tenotomy. Horse has a good deal of capsular rotation, and has slightly subluxated PIJ in the front left, that seems to stay in that position regardless of the angle of P3. Horse grows a healthy hoof and has been this way for many years. But the strange thing really is that the horse, like I said is stoic across the toe and exhibits only heel pain. The horse blocked out to a PDN. I agree with the comment about what does it take for some owners to put a horse down, but this owner is one of those who is not going to do it. Dr Meyers, I had shod the horse in the roller motion morrison T-shoes with a #2 curtis hamilton wedge, increased the wedge to a #4. Took it out of the T-shoes and put it in clogs with a #4 wedge, as the thickness of the clog allowed me to grind in more mechanics. I have put them on with and without IM. I have tried some frog support but that had to immediately be taken off. I am curious about what you said about the sloughing off of the hoof capsule. The horses that did this, did they have a stabile hoof capsule to begin with? I guess I would have thought that the horse would still have sensation in the front portion of the hoof, and therefore would still be limited some from pain due to rotation which would prevent this from occuring especially if the hoof capsule had a healthy enough proximal connection to P3 and a decent blood supply. Would not a neurectomy only alleviate pain from the back half of the hoof? The only way I could get any more mechanics under the hoof would be to nail on a baseball. I just did the horse the other day, but I will try to get some photos next go round. I strongly suspect a DFT lesion, but the vet and I are basically exhausted with the shoeing and feel that what we have achieved is about as good as we can expect. Neurectomy was what we were thinking until a conversation with another vet in Texas I think advised against it saying the horse would slough off the hoof capsule. That threw a monkey wrench in those plans, but while I can see that being the case in some foundered hooves, I would roll the dice in this situation. I tend to think it would be fine. Horse is stalled all the time except for hand walking anyway. And if it has complications so be it, that may only expedite the inevitable.;)
Rick Talbert

RE:DFT lesion and neurectomy 12 Mar 2011 13:35 #7

• Mark_Gough
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 35
Rick, when I see a horse go better in clogs it causes me to wonder how much better it might do in a Ron Aalders type of banana shoe. Perhaps a banana would give the horse a chance to demonstrate optimal mechanics. We can shape a clog for breakover and add a best-guess wedge but the mechanics are then predefined and the horse has to work with what we give him. The banana provides the horse with options to fine tune each foot. While there are premanufactured roller motion shoes available, I've not seen any that appear to provide as much versatility in radius as the ones that Ron forges. It's as close as anything to the "baseball" you mentioned. I also think that with some equine problems, even the best applied mechanics just aren't going to help. That's when it's time for the vet to have that unfortunate conversation with the owner.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Mark

RE:DFT lesion and neurectomy 12 Mar 2011 18:02 #8

• dave murray
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Rick, another option you can talk over with the vet is to do cryosurgery on the nerves instead of actually going in and cutting them.
Cryo is the use of liquid nitrogen to deep freeze the nerves if you will.
i have seen it done on some racehorses i have shod with some success.
could be a less costly alternative that could give the horse some added comfort for a while.

RE:DFT lesion and neurectomy 13 Mar 2011 03:26 #9

• Rick Talbert
  • Master
2 good ideas. Thanks Mark and Dave.
Rick Talbert

RE:DFT lesion and neurectomy 13 Mar 2011 16:20 #10

• mwmyersdvm
  • Very Senior Member
My question would be,did the tenotomy initially make the horse better? If so then doing it below the fetlock may yield some relief. However,you may have a great deal of scar tissue buildup in the P3 joint capsule preventing relief of the angle you are seeing. These are tough cases and long term pain killers may be in order for them. Fircoxib (Previcox) has shown a great deal of promise in some of these. As long as the heel block works, then a neurectomy may be an option. If the hoof capsule sloughs, at least you will have closure and the horse is out of pain, initially, from the neurectomy and finally from euthanasia that no one will question. It is an odd win-win, but it would be defined that way from the horse's viewpoint.

If you want to try the firocoxib/phenylbutazone protocol you use 57mg firocoxib twice daily for two weeks then 57 mg daily indefinitely. Add to this, one gram phenylbutazone twice daily one week, then one gram daily for two weeks and stop the phenylbutazone while the firocoxib is continued.

M. W. Myers, D.V.M.

Kunena Birthday Module

• GregTrem birthday is today
  • isagenixchallenge6A4A birthday is today
  • mercifulgimmickB72E birthday is today
  • AfflerbachDM birthday is in 1 day
  • CWFarrierSvcs birthday is in 1 day
  • jlthompson birthday is in 1 day
  • SlowShoe birthday is in 1 day
  • temposmom birthday is in 1 day
  • Antionette birthday is in 364 days
  • Awilda Buentello7D5B birthday is in 364 days
  • bennyjoe@shoeforyou.com birthday is in 364 days
  • Mike Wells birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.