make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Thursday January 27, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Internship/working holiday

Internship/working holiday 06 Feb 2012 23:04 #1

• Rachael Kane
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi all,
I was recently emailed an invitation from a farrier in florida who needed some help over the next few months. I was really excited by the possibilitiy of learning from him and the experience of working in a different place, it was just unfortunate that the offer came at a busy time of year when i couldn't really take the time off.

It got me thinking though (which is always dangerous :lol: ), of starting a thread to discuss similar possibilities. I would love to work with other farriers around the world, And i have had a few Europeans contact me asking to come work with me. So i am making a general, preliminary offer, i guess, but i would also like to know what more experienced/established farriers think of the idea in general, even if they are not able to take up such an offer - maybe you've been part of something similar before? I imagine it is a very individual thing and can work well in some cases and be a nightmare in others. I want to understand the pros and cons from both sides.

From my side of the equasion, it would have to be in my winter time - which is other people's summer anyway, and i would be willing to work for free if my airfares and living expenses were paid for. I figure that if i worked for 4 weeks, that would amount to a cost to the host farrier of about $100-$150 a day to cover those expenses. 4 weeks is about all i could afford and all my family would really cope with and sounds like a fair amount of time for someone to get their money back out of me, perhaps?

So what sort of issues/opportunities does this bring up for people? The forums are pretty slow at the moment with everyone just working out how to get from a to b, but please post because I'm keen to hear what you think.
Rachael :)
CF

'Motivation gets you going, discipline keeps you going.' (Jim Ryan).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Internship/working holiday 06 Feb 2012 23:12 #2

• Eric Russell
  • Thank you received: 19
If you cut it down to about 2 weeks and paid your airfare, I'd imagine I could hook you up with a good crew of people around here to go with a few days.

Re: Internship/working holiday 07 Feb 2012 00:35 #3

• Rachael Kane
  • Very Senior Member
OK, so is 4 weeks too much? Would that time drag on, I wonder, for the host? I was thinking that more time would allow the host to get more value as the first few days/week the helper is adjusting to working how the host wants things done. If the helper were only to stay for a few days with each person as you suggest, Eric, it would be of no real help to the host. Therefore there would be no benefit so no incentive to pay anything, as you suggested.

If I were to pay my airfare it would change my choices to a fare degree, and maybe I wouldn't even go - unless it was such an outstanding opportunity that i couldn't resist! - because I'd already be losing my weekly home income. Maybe that's why people don't do this more often, because it just doesn't add up from either side. I am open to accepting that, it's interesting to hear other perspectives.

I am not averse to paying my way, but I have other trips planned (like to the IHCS next year and doing my CJF) that will cost me a plenty.
CF

Re: Internship/working holiday 07 Feb 2012 00:59 #4

• Eric Russell
  • Thank you received: 19
I suggested changing from 4 weeks to 2 so you could pay for your airfare. I don't know anyone who would pay for someone to go with them that they would actually let work. Most of the guys I know would let a personal friend do what they want on a horse but someone they didn't know I doubt they'd let clinch.

I would think it would take more than a week to get in a groove with somebody. If somebody had a business set up that needed help they would already have help. No matter how you look at it, if somebody gives you money it's pretty much like a tip.

Personally, I wouldn't care how much money your losing at home. Just like I wouldn't care how much money I'm losing showing you what I do or the time I would spend in the shop when I could be out chasing women.

I'm not trying to get you to come out my way or anything. The people in my area shoe horses and spend time in the shop. If you're after you cjf it would be like 2 weeks prepping for the cfj I'd imagine. Everyone's different and each area's different. I'm just letting you know we have a lot of farriers in the area.

Any trip I've taken is like a shot in the dark. You never know what you're gonna get out of it.

Re: Internship/working holiday 07 Feb 2012 01:08 #5

• brian robertson
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 22
Rachel, doesn't Chris Gregory offer internships to his graduates?

Re: Internship/working holiday 07 Feb 2012 01:26 #6

• vthorseshoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 55
Have you considered or perhaps already done it, contacting Chris Gregory and asking him if he knows of any farriers who (would compliment and advance the kind of shoeing your going to be doing back in Austrailia ?
If I was looking for an apprenticeship I would have already decided the type of shoeing I wanted to do or would be doing in my area due to the horses and diciplines in that area.
To make the investment in time and expence of money lost, I wouldn't be worrying about learning different types of shoeing, but rather go to places and spend time with farriers that will advance my skills in my chosen type of shoeing.

I know from your posts or blog I can't remember which, your time at HHS was spent studying all the time and after hours in the forge.
Look at this as a business venture tgo advance your skills and trade.
Your not doing the Host farrier any favors, he is giving of himself to help another farrier advance through his time and skills.
Apprenticeships don't work over here in general unless it is all business and a firm agreement between both parties.
A lot of folks want to apprentice but soon leave to go on their own once they get some skills, and leave the training farrier hanging with extra horses and a sour taste in his mouth.
So many just won't or can't due to the expense the gov. requires with insurance and other requirements and also adding in what I mentioned above.
I had one person ride with me yrs. back, for half a day before I put my tools down, told the owner I would be back, and told this man to load up and i took him all the way back to his home.
He wasn't interested in learning and I didn't have the time to waste on him.
I have had others ride with me over the years who couldn't get enough and had so many questions and thoughts, I was thrilled to try to help them.
Here I am preaching things you already know as an adult.

So I will close here with my best wishes and will be interested in what you decide down the road.

my 2 cents worth ;)
"you may not like what I say" !
-but-
"you'll never have any doubts where I stand
quote Cindy Matthews 1948-2006

I thought my life had come to a close with Cindy's passing, but there is life after death Thankyou Sharon !

Bruce Matthews
Southeast...
Last Edit: 07 Feb 2012 01:32 by vthorseshoe.

Re: Internship/working holiday 07 Feb 2012 04:48 #7

• beslagsmed
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 5
Rachael,
I planned a farrier holiday for myself which worked out well. I contacted a farreir who in turned farmed me out to others for a day here and a day there to see and learn from others. I planned 3 weeks - the week in the middle attended the IHCS. I paid my expenses and in such was able to deduct them from my taxes.
Mikel Dawson, RJF

(Denmark)
What part of "NO" don't you understand!!

Caution: Watch for hoof in mouth disease!!!

Re: Internship/working holiday 07 Feb 2012 08:29 #8

• Seth Parker
  • Thank you received: 13
Hey Rach! I know who you are talking about and Ive seen his work! World class for sure! Plus you already told me who it was in our email. lol. So what?! :whistle:

Chris Gregory internship sounds awesome too!!!! :bs:

Do it while you still can is the name of the game! Time is slipping and opportunities dont last forever! I would also suggest 2 weeks is better. 4 weeks is just long time to be away from family and clients...and my dogs!
Seth Parker, South Florida
www.facebook.com/SethParkerFarrier
Last Edit: 07 Feb 2012 08:36 by Seth Parker.

Re: Internship/working holiday 07 Feb 2012 20:55 #9

• Rachael Kane
  • Very Senior Member
Hey Mickel, that is pretty much what I'd planned to do next year in the US. I'm glad to hear it went well for you. I manage to do that here fairly regularly - perhaps manage to ride with others every few months. There is one guy not too far away that makes most of his shoes (concave) at the horse, which is my goal for this year, so I make shoes all day for him. He is a rarity here in the Locale we share of slap'em on shoers and we both enjoy the social interaction as well as the shared work.
I have not talked to chris about coming back to him yet, HHS is an extraordinary environment to be immersed in and I'd do it again tomorrow, if he would have me! :kiss: I was just floating this idea as something different to CJF preparation, in that i would just be happy to be worked hard and not expect tuition out of it. I love your attitude to money and your honesty, Ray, that's what i needed/wanted to hear. Also, the idea of going for shorter time and paying the airfare is a good combo, the money made at home would be about equal, i had not thought of that. This was just an idea i had, i was not sure if it was base on the realities of other farriers or not. It sounds like not, and that's fine, i just like the idea of possibilities.
CF

Re: Internship/working holiday 08 Feb 2012 03:57 #10

• beslagsmed
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 5
Something else to think about - Cornell. I was there a couple time with Michael Wildenstein to their Advance Farrier Course. Mike asked me my goals and what I wanted to expand on, then he added what he thought I needed.

I don't know how Steve runs the program now, but something to think about as there is a Vet hospital there as well and you will have the chance to work with some first class vets. I know Chris has a great program, but you also need to see other great programs and different experiences.

Start now saving money and plan ahead for the trip - set your goals. What ever you do, you will learn and that's the point.
Mikel Dawson, RJF

(Denmark)
What part of "NO" don't you understand!!

Caution: Watch for hoof in mouth disease!!!

Re: Internship/working holiday 09 Feb 2012 03:02 #11

• Rachael Kane
  • Very Senior Member
Thanks Mikel, I can imagine cornell will be a place i untilise on my next trip, it sounds good.
CF

Kunena Birthday Module

• GregTrem birthday is today
  • isagenixchallenge6A4A birthday is today
  • mercifulgimmickB72E birthday is today
  • AfflerbachDM birthday is in 1 day
  • CWFarrierSvcs birthday is in 1 day
  • jlthompson birthday is in 1 day
  • SlowShoe birthday is in 1 day
  • temposmom birthday is in 1 day
  • Antionette birthday is in 364 days
  • Awilda Buentello7D5B birthday is in 364 days
  • bennyjoe@shoeforyou.com birthday is in 364 days
  • Mike Wells birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.