make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Monday January 24, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation

Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 05 Jul 2010 03:38 #1

• Anthony_Lawrence
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I've been involved in a local discussion with the BUAs whereupon a reference was made to a study by Bowker purporting to show that peripheral loading (i.e. tacking on a shoe) compromises circulation in the hoof. I've googled it but can't find it anywhere.

1/ Does anyone have a link to the study.

2/ Anyone familiar with it, is it kosher or biased nonsense? And is there any scientific refutation of it?

Thanks
Ant.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 05 Jul 2010 04:18 #2

• Alicia Thompson
  • Very Senior Member
So obviously they had never read the "study" either or they could have told you.

It makes no logical sense that peripheral loading could impact circulation. Setting a shoe back to far and not ensuring sole clearance could impact circulation via impingement of the circumflex artery but I believe the sole would have to be thin for this to happen and by definition if you are "loading the sole" you are not peripheral loading.

When I have heard BUA talk about this circulation nonsense it is supposedly because the shoe doesn't allow the hoof to flex and act as a pump. Since the front half of the hoof doesn't expand and that is where the nails are it is entirely BS.
Don't try to have rational discussions with crazy people.
Forget thinking outside the box, instead realize there is no box.
- Alicia Thompson

http://thompsonfarrierservice.com

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 05 Jul 2010 05:47 #3

• Anthony_Lawrence
  • Very Senior Member
mybluedanube wrote:
Don't try to have rational discussions with crazy people.

Some are like religious zealots, but some are actually quite sensible and can have reasonable discussions that benefit other readers.
Ant.

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 05 Jul 2010 13:15 #4

• Jack Evers
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 45
I haven't seen all of Bowker's work, but what I have seen falls in the category of clinical observation rather than research. I've had these conversations and asked BUA's to furnish references, perhaps venograms and I get the normal "it's common knowledge" type answer. Sometimes they fall back on Frau Strasser's statement that "anyone handling a lot of hooves realizes that a shod hoof is cooler than an unshod one". This is also a bogus statement that anyone with a remote sensing thermometer can quickly disprove. Besides, don't we feel for heat to signify pathology - why is heat suddenly a good thing?

You might check hopeforsoundness.com where a bit of Bowker's work is and look at his references - academics love to reference themselves - hey, I've been one. It works on some people tho. I remember asking a BUA for a reference to a Strasser statement and getting another Strasser article as a reference.
Jack Evers CJF AFA#426

The best things about the good old days -- I wasn't good and I wasn't old.

The older I get, the more horses I shoe, the fewer things that I can absolutely, positively fix.

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 05 Jul 2010 13:40 #5

• Jack Evers
  • Master
Another argument that I often hear is that feral horses live longer than domestic horses. Again "Strasser said". I can't even find good actuarial data on domestic horses. I do know that I expect my domestics to be useful well into their 20's.The only feral data I have found is on the Pryor Mt herd (Wyo/Mont border). This is a small herd of 100 to 200 head with a number of observers who know individual horses. The observation is that it is rare for one of these to live past 16 years and is the reason that contraception plans do not involve mares of 16 or older.

A complication that I have discussed with a BLM vet is that ageing a mature mouth involves wear patterns and the feral environment probably accelerates wear. He agrees that a horse they call 15 is likely to be closer to 12 or so.
Jack Evers CJF AFA#426

The older I get, the more horses I shoe, the fewer things that I can absolutely, positively fix.

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 05 Jul 2010 13:50 #6

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 3
It's not my cup of tea but I think this BUA thing would make for a good study in human psychology. In spite of the fact that a plane-Jane shoeing job so often does a great job of getting so many horses through in contrast to the trials a tribulations of barefoot or booted, they continue to try to invent reasons NOT to shoe.

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 05 Jul 2010 13:59 #7

• cuttinshoer
  • Master
I beleive Mr. Reilly has information that would prove Bowker's research wrong.
Justin Decker

"As I see it, good enough is never good enough, it's just an excuse for mediocrity. If every shoeing ain't worth your best shot, you're just going through the motions." Tom Stovall, CJF

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 05 Jul 2010 13:59 #8

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 3
Jack Evers wrote:
Another argument that I often hear is that feral horses live longer than domestic horses. Again "Strasser said".

IMO, the very fact that they so often refer to feral horses is a hint of what we are dealing with. There isn't anything natural about how we keep and use domestic horses. Except to illustrate just how different domestic horses are, feral horses are almost completely irrelevant.

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 05 Jul 2010 20:24 #9

• Gary Hill
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 6
The BUA are clueless because for one thing they do not consider envionment that the feral live in. Wyoming/Nevada and Brazil are differant envionments and the horses have completely opposite problems?
"As I see it, winners get the money - while losers talk of "individual goals" and similar stuff." Tom Stovall

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 05 Jul 2010 23:55 #10

• Anthony_Lawrence
  • Very Senior Member
"it's common knowledge"
"anyone handling a lot of hooves realizes that a shod hoof is cooler than an unshod one"
"feral horses live longer than domestic horses"
"Strasser said"

It's clear that these people are the same all over the world. All I can say is that this Strasser wench must have some charisma as she is regarded an nothing short of some sort of messiah, her writings as gospel. W T F?

Jack Evers - "I haven't seen all of Bowker's work, but what I have seen falls in the category of clinical observation rather than research."
cuttinshoer - "I beleive Mr. Reilly has information that would prove Bowker's research wrong."

This is really what I'm after. My googling skills seem sub-par, if this info exists online somewehre I am incapable of finding it. If Dr Reilly has such information I would love to get hold of it.

Many thanks for the replies thus far.
Ant.

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 06 Jul 2010 00:33 #11

Anthony_Lawrence wrote:

This is really what I'm after. My googling skills seem sub-par, if this info exists online somewehre I am incapable of finding it. If Dr Reilly has such information I would love to get hold of it.

Many thanks for the replies thus far.

About 3 years ago he was travelling around doing some hoof seminars with Pete Ramey and this all came out. He's never "published" the study or observations. There were some seminar notes published by a couple of different sources I think on the Easy Care boot site. I don't know if they're still there or not. I think there were also some notes published on Yvonne Welz's site "Thehorseshoof.com", but I haven't looked recently. Plus, they were just interpretations of what people heard him say, so not really "published" information.

I heard him speak back in 2003 or so and he did say that his work was all "observation" and the listener could take it as he wanted. Bowker said he wasn't ready to draw conclusions. I guess he's drawn some conclusions now :-)
Karen Standefer
Southern Oregon

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 06 Jul 2010 00:56 #12

• Jack Evers
  • Master
Thanks Karen.
Jack Evers CJF AFA#426

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 06 Jul 2010 01:31 #13

• Anthony_Lawrence
  • Very Senior Member
KarenStandefer wrote:
About 3 years ago he was travelling around doing some hoof seminars with Pete Ramey and this all came out. He's never "published" the study or observations. There were some seminar notes published by a couple of different sources I think on the Easy Care boot site. I don't know if they're still there or not. I think there were also some notes published on Yvonne Welz's site "Thehorseshoof.com", but I haven't looked recently. Plus, they were just interpretations of what people heard him say, so not really "published" information.

I heard him speak back in 2003 or so and he did say that his work was all "observation" and the listener could take it as he wanted. Bowker said he wasn't ready to draw conclusions. I guess he's drawn some conclusions now :-)

Yep thanks Karen, have had a look in those places. There are a couple of references to talks on the topic, but can't find any published "science" (or even observations). Just assertions that shoes reduce circulation. :rolleyes:
Ant.

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 06 Jul 2010 02:35 #14

• Anthony_Lawrence
  • Very Senior Member
Here is a reply from one SHP on the NZ forum (one of the people you can have a sensible discussion with).
There is a lot of stuff that reports on Bowker's clinics but as far as I know (I stand to be corrected) his peripheral loading studies using Dopplar ultrasound were carried out on his horses and were not conducted or written up as a formal study. Same thing for the computer model of stresses on the pedal bone. I don't know of any studies which confirm or refute them.
Ant.

RE:Bowker, Peripheral Loading and Circulation 07 Jul 2010 00:02 #15

• brian robertson
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 22
Wonderful Bob , as we call him herer in Mid Michigan, often uses the analogy, of the comparison of a human finger nail and horse's hoof. He then asks his guilable audience to press on the finger nails then notice how the nails turn whitish in color; then he states without any qualification, that when farriers drive horseshoe nails, the same whiteness/restriction of circulation occurrs in their horses' hooves. Much like wrapping a rubber band around some appendage, horseshoes with nails cause the horses' hooves to become numb; that's why horseshoes "appear" to make horses feel better. Oh the horror!

After listening to his drivel one too many times; I asked for clarifications of his statements so I would have no misunderstanding of his "facts"; he then repeated them to me very slowly, ver batum, as if I was mentally impared.

I mentioned to him that I have used rubberbands to castrate calves and lambs for nearly 50 years so I know what the lack of circulation will do...
I then told him, I must be very lucky since after more than 36 years of shoeing, none of my shod horses have ever had a hoof fall off from lack of circulation. So He might want to revise his facts.....
  • Page:

Kunena Birthday Module

• alminc11 birthday is today
  • DABELL24 birthday is today
  • skelemen birthday is today
  • capvieterB8F2 birthday is in 1 day
  • mountaintrailrider birthday is in 1 day
  • sean_the_shoer birthday is in 1 day
  • sweetbranchforge birthday is in 1 day
  • technologie2A68 birthday is in 1 day
  • zaplwiecowiec8 birthday is in 1 day
  • brianriggs birthday is in 364 days
  • canditemby birthday is in 364 days
  • cwlindauer birthday is in 364 days
  • LilBitOfHeaven birthday is in 364 days
  • lonestar birthday is in 364 days
  • vincentfarley52 birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.