make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Monday January 24, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Keratoma

Keratoma 02 May 2009 04:18 #1

• David Gill
Dear All
An associate of mine (not a farrier) has been in touch regards some advice.
His words are below:

“Could you give me some advice please?
One of our horses has been intermittently lame for some time and our farrier...thought that it may be caused by a tumour.
We called in the vet and the horse is in the middle of an operation to remove the Keratoma.
They operated yesterday but failed to remove it all and will continue on Tuesday after the Bank Holiday!!
It seems that the tumour is more extensive than expected and is affecting the pedal bone.
Have you had any experience with this condition and how long would you estimate it would be on box rest?”

So, can any of you guys help him?
Best regards, David

David W. Gill AFCL
http://www.thefarrierbox.co.uk/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Keratoma 02 May 2009 12:57 #2

I am not a vet, but have been involved in a few of these. A couple were removed under anethesia with minimal invasion and loss of horny structure. in these cases i was asked to apply a straight bar with a fattish bar on the frog and a hospital plate. I would assume a normal work load could start when the surigical incision has healed and the clinician felt the capsule was sturdy.
I've also assisted in the removal of a dorsal wall that was basicly free floating secondary to a keratoma. I just reset him last week, and the section was removed in October of 08. the new dorsal growth is about 2/3 of the way down and he is sound. However he is not being ridden. We used a heartbar for three resets and a bar screwed across the gap to stabalize it until the gap was half filled. He is now in a straightbar with a big rocker.
The attending surgeon would have much better insight into the details of the case, but this general info might help a bit.
jason
"Always listen to the experts. They tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it." Robert Heinlien
Jason Maki CJF, RJF

RE:Keratoma 02 May 2009 16:08 #3

• J.H. shoeing
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
I had one last year. They went thru the sole in the lateral toe the hole was about as big as a quarter(large coin). I applied a straight bar shoe with a hospital plate. Reset it several times, I cant remember how long the stall rest was. After the stall rest they were hand walking him for a while and he is back into full work now. Pro-level barrel horse.

I used some frog support along the way too but will have to read the case notes to freshen my memory.
Jeff Holder

Some people are like Slinky’s, pretty much useless but make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

RE:Keratoma 02 May 2009 22:08 #4

Removing a keratoma should not cause too much trouble. Especially when the keratoma is located in the toe area as they often are, removal is easy. Locate the keratoma and establish how big it is. X rays are needed for this purpose. Although I removed a couple without rads. With or without involvement of P3 the removal of a keratoma is the same. Have the foot sedated with a nerve block. If you're a sensitive type (or when the owner is) throw in a tourniquet. If the keratoma is big, apply a suitable frog and sole support shoe with a lot of break over. (A banana works best) You will remove connection between the wall and P3 when removing the keratoma and you do not need any trouble due to loosing that bond. I know some feel that's not needed since the keratoma did not offer any bond anyway, but better safe than sorry. Thin the dorsal hoofwall with you rasp or halfrounds (the 3/8" halfrounds MFC makes are great for this!) and cut vertical grooves left and right of the keratoma (the width in most cases can be guestimated when looking at the wall/sole junction and the distorsion of that junction. Cut all the way through the wall into the lamillae and all the way up to the papillae. Don't go into the papillea, you don't want to distort that. When done grooving use a specially designed tool for this purpose (some call them pull offs) and break away the wall with the keratoma from the sensitive lamillae. When more or less loose, pull the defect completely loose in a downward direction so not to ruin the papillae. Check for unwanted damage (there shouldn't be any). Dress the foot or better still have the vet do that.

Recovery of this kind of keratoma is surprisingly fast. This one was lame for a week or so.

Usually a pretty easy procedure that you'll be way better at than any vet. So don't shy away from helping that vet in such cases.

Ronald Aalders
Attachments:

RE:Keratoma 03 May 2009 02:04 #5

• SlowShoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 2
Ron,

Well all I can say is wow.

RE:Keratoma 03 May 2009 13:29 #6

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
Great stuff Ron. Thanks for that.
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:Keratoma 03 May 2009 15:08 #7

• David Gill
I’d like to thank Jason, Jeff and particularly Ronald for their input on this thread.

The owner of the horse is a saddler by trade and it would be nice to think that after viewing this forum as a visitor, he may at sometime be inclined to share his experiences of the horse, from his view point and relate those experiences to the many lameness issues, which we as farriers deal with on a daily basis.

Once again many thanks and most importantly, thank you for this forum.

David W. Gill AFCL
http://www.thefarrierbox.co.uk/

RE:Keratoma 11 May 2009 20:48 #8

• reillyshoe
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 7
A couple of thoughts about how we deal with Keratomas at New Bolton. In most cases, the keraoma is removed under general anesthesia. Collogen sponges are placed in the defect and a surgical grade PMMA plug applied to the level of the dorsal hoof. A patch of fabric saturated with hoof repair material is placed over the hoof, and then a shoe applied (glued on). This is all done under anesthesia.
In some cases with infection present, we look for access to medicate the region while maintaining the hoof capsule integrity and keeping the debrided area clean (description following).
P

RE:Keratoma 11 May 2009 20:51 #9

• reillyshoe
  • Master
A keratoma following debridment:
http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=1346

The drain consists of a 1/4 inch steel tee nut (shown from different angles with 1/4 x 1/2 inch slot head screw):

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=1347
P

RE:Keratoma 11 May 2009 20:58 #10

• reillyshoe
  • Master
A hole is pierced in fabric saturated with repair adhesive (braided polyester shown here), and the tee nut inserted. The fabric strip is positioned over the defect:

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=1348

The screw and plate are still partially exposed. To make up this difference, and second strip of material is saturated with repair adhesive, a hole pierced in the center, and positioned over the first repair (the screw is removed prior to each application, coated with a release agent, and then reapplied before the adhesive polymerizes). The result of the second repair is a perfectly flush screw which can be removed, the defect flushed with a syringe, and reapplied to keep the area clean.

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=1349
P

RE:Keratoma 11 May 2009 21:00 #11

• reillyshoe
  • Master
A shoe is applied, with the rim pad removed to float the area under the surgical site.

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=1350
P

RE:Keratoma 11 May 2009 23:12 #12

• brian robertson
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 22
Very slick there, Pat.

RE:Keratoma 12 May 2009 17:05 #13

• Gabino
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Ron,Patrick, excellent work!! I debrided some keratomas with good results. I think the big problem is keeping the hoof stabilization. We use the Vetcast band for stabilize the hoof capsule.

Gabino Fernández Baquero

www.farriergabino.com

RE:Keratoma 12 May 2009 17:12 #14

Question: It looks like this should be care for by a vet/farrier under controlled conditions, and not at someone's barn?

I have yet to run into this situation.

RE:Keratoma 12 May 2009 18:09 #15

• Gabino
  • Very Senior Member
  • Thank you received: 13
I think is neccesary the colaboration vet/farrier, but not indispensable operating theatre. In my case, we pull off the sferic keratoma at the clinic,but in the box door.
Gabino Fernández Baquero

www.farriergabino.com

Kunena Birthday Module

• alminc11 birthday is today
  • DABELL24 birthday is today
  • skelemen birthday is today
  • capvieterB8F2 birthday is in 1 day
  • mountaintrailrider birthday is in 1 day
  • sean_the_shoer birthday is in 1 day
  • sweetbranchforge birthday is in 1 day
  • technologie2A68 birthday is in 1 day
  • zaplwiecowiec8 birthday is in 1 day
  • Antionette birthday is in 2 days
  • Awilda Buentello7D5B birthday is in 2 days
  • bennyjoe@shoeforyou.com birthday is in 2 days
  • Mike Wells birthday is in 2 days
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.