make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Sunday January 23, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why is AFA membership so low?

RE:Why is AFA membership so low? 04 May 2007 13:27 #166

• Gary_Miller
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 1
Mike Ferrara wrote:
As a former memeber, I don't belong to the AFA because I believe it's focus is all wrong for a trade association.
Mike
You may have already stated this over time but to save some digging.

1. Where do you think the AFA as a trade association should most be focusing it efforts?

2. Where do you think the AFA as a trade association should least be focusing it efforts?

Anyone can answer not just Mike.
Gary Miller, PF

Ride hard, shoot straight, and always speak the truth.
Gunfighter Motto

"Our level of quality is how well our eye can see it." (Eric Russell, Oct 2008, Horseshoes.com)

"Discover what it is that makes you passionate then grab a firm...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Why is AFA membership so low? 04 May 2007 16:11 #167

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 3
Gary_Miller wrote:
Mike
You may have already stated this over time but to save some digging.

1. Where do you think the AFA as a trade association should most be focusing it efforts?

2. Where do you think the AFA as a trade association should least be focusing it efforts?

Anyone can answer not just Mike.

First of all I think the AFA needs to decide what they want to be. They should market their certification for the sake of their certified members (the card should be good for something)...But wait! they probably have more members who are uncertified than are certified. Don't want to bite those hands do you? oops but then they are open to non farrier members?

If they wanted to be a trade association for farriers then they need to look at what farriers need...not at what horse owners need and not at "the good of the horse" except as it might pertain to providing marketing or other management information that may be of use to their member farriers. Right? The goal would be to help member farriers better manage their businesses. "better" being defined as more profitable. Hopefully that's good for owners and horses but the member farriers win all ties.

Off the top of my head, some things that I think are of importance to many farriers are

Education - I mean education rather than testing.

Benefits - like insurance and other products/services where group buying power might be important.

Information - Current events in the industry, market information, legeslation, risk management stratagies and so on.

Some business or trade associations conduct market research and provide the information to their members. Some provide information about legeslation that might effect it's members and even actively lobby. One organization that I belonged to for a while when I owned a retail store was the NFIB (National Federation of Independant Business. One of the services they provided was a news letter that addressed pending/existing legeslation (especially tax legeslation). They survey the membership to find out where they stand on issues and lobby accordingly.

I'm sure there a lot of other things that we could come up with by just looking at what small business owners in general might need and specifically what farrier business owners might need.

RE:Why is AFA membership so low? 05 May 2007 04:44 #168

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
Mike Ferrara wrote:
National Federation of Independant Business. One of the services they provided was a news letter that addressed pending/existing legeslation (especially tax legeslation). They survey the membership to find out where they stand on issues and lobby accordingly.
NFIB has half a million members paying $300/yr. If every farrier in the US joined the AFA it would still be less than 10% the size of the NFIB.

How much would the dues increase need to be to create a farrier lobby with the power the NFIB has? Nice idea, but the math sucks just a little. :)
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:Why is AFA membership so low? 05 May 2007 05:15 #169

Dick Fanguy wrote:
Just a update on the membership numbers:

4-27-07 Total Reg. and Life time members 3,021

5-1-07 Total Reg. and Life time members 3,184

This gives us 163 new members and members that have come back to the AFA. I think we are doing something right. I hope this trend continues.

...just got back from a clinic/certification in KY, where about 14 or so people signed up as AFA members. I don't remember the exact breakdown, but there were at least 6 who purchased regular memberships and at least 5 who purchased student memberships... I suspect that the totals stayed in the 50/50 range.
~~Danvers

Danvers Child, CJF

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
http://www.foxtailforge.com

“Watch what people are cynical about, and you will often discover what they lack." General George S. Patton Jr.

"Human beings are perhaps never more frightening than...

RE:Why is AFA membership so low? 05 May 2007 21:54 #170

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
tbloomer wrote:
NFIB has half a million members paying $300/yr. If every farrier in the US joined the AFA it would still be less than 10% the size of the NFIB.

How much would the dues increase need to be to create a farrier lobby with the power the NFIB has? Nice idea, but the math sucks just a little. :)

When I belonged to NFIB, I was only paying about $100. As I recall there was no set required amount at the time. They required a "donation" and for a business the size of ours, they recommended $100.

It was just an example of an organization whos focus is on the needs of the membership. Whatever the reason, if the AFA can't or doesn't want to, then I'll skip it.

There are hammer-ins and clinics all over the place so we don't need the AFA for education. If they can't offer the other benefits that would be of real value to a business, I just don't see any real value in having them around. Apparently plenty of others have a similar opinion. If a bunch of farriers want to get together and have a club or whatever, fine, whatever floats your boat. However, lets not make the mistake of thinking that the small percentage of farriers who belong to these organizations somehow represent the industry because they clearly don't. I get the impression that they want to but they don't. They're just clubs.

RE:Why is AFA membership so low? 05 May 2007 22:49 #171

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
Mike Ferrara wrote:
There are hammer-ins and clinics all over the place so we don't need the AFA for education.
Funny thing is, most of the speakers and clinicians and event sponsors are AFA members who got good or better at what they know and do, precisely because of the AFA. Thirty+ years ago, the farrier information sharing age was basically non-existant. Even today, I'd be willing to wager that much of what many farriers know, can be traced back to someone who is/was an AFA member.

Everyone who comes to these boards and gets and gives help can probably trace a lot of what they know/practice/promote, to something learned from an AFA member.

Not too shabby for an organization that has a membership that hovers around 3,000 and according to best guesstimates, is ~10% of the farrier population of the US.

Next time you find you have learned something new or exchanged ideas that are, even in the most remote sense, farriery related, see if you can figure out how many degrees of separation there are between you and the AFA(as represented by the person(s) from whence came the information.). Bet you'll find it won't be more than four.
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:Why is AFA membership so low? 06 May 2007 02:39 #172

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
Rick Burten wrote:
Funny thing is, most of the speakers and clinicians and event sponsors are AFA members who got good or better at what they know and do, precisely because of the AFA. Thirty+ years ago, the farrier information sharing age was basically non-existant. Even today, I'd be willing to wager that much of what many farriers know, can be traced back to someone who is/was an AFA member.

Everyone who comes to these boards and gets and gives help can probably trace a lot of what they know/practice/promote, to something learned from an AFA member.

Not too shabby for an organization that has a membership that hovers around 3,000 and according to best guesstimates, is ~10% of the farrier population of the US.

Next time you find you have learned something new or exchanged ideas that are, even in the most remote sense, farriery related, see if you can figure out how many degrees of separation there are between you and the AFA(as represented by the person(s) from whence came the information.). Bet you'll find it won't be more than four.

Networking has obvious benefits.

RE:Why is AFA membership so low? 06 May 2007 03:34 #173

• Gary Hill
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 6
Rick, you are so correct about the info farriers didn't share 30yrs ago. I learned more about shoeing in those early days from the real Trainers that were around back then. Even today if you recieve the correct information from a creditable Trainer, that will work with you and not dictate it is amazing how the "basics" sometimes are all we need? It always bothered me that older more experience Farriers didn't want to share info and that does include some AFA guys? There is a thread on this site I read earlier today about how the old books and theories are coming back? If we stick to the basics we stay out of alot of trouble? JMO, :D
"As I see it, winners get the money - while losers talk of "individual goals" and similar stuff." Tom Stovall

Kunena Birthday Module

• brianriggs birthday is today
  • canditemby birthday is today
  • cwlindauer birthday is today
  • LilBitOfHeaven birthday is today
  • lonestar birthday is today
  • vincentfarley52 birthday is today
  • alminc11 birthday is in 1 day
  • DABELL24 birthday is in 1 day
  • skelemen birthday is in 1 day
  • hoofdoc28 birthday is in 364 days
  • paulblog556715DE birthday is in 364 days
  • paulc7765BA9B birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.