make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Tuesday June 28, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC?

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 18:40 #196

tbloomer wrote:
Quick, somebody insult Phil before he decides to leave. :cool:

Phil,

Let's face it you suck at farriery. I think you should put your farrier chaps on E-bay and purchase instead a pair of Pink full seat breeches and take up the practice of Dressage. Perhaps someday you will be able to ride a test better than you can balance a foot.

Have a happy valentine's day! :D
George Spear
CNBBT, CNBF, CLS

".....and I said to the horse: Trust no man in whose eyes you do not see yourself reflected as an equal."
Don Vincenzo Giobbe
CA. 1700

"What people do not appreciate is that every time a horse submits to...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 18:44 #197

• Cyber Farrier
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 3
Only because I know that was completely tongue-in-cheek will this thread continue.

Baron
“Suppose you were an ******. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”
- Mark Twain

“There is no distinctly native American criminal class... save Congress.”
-Mark Twain

“No man's life, liberty, or property is safe...

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 18:45 #198

• solidrockshoer
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 2
Gary_Miller wrote:
Eric, is not the only reason any of the WCB members compete at the convention is because that is where the AFT is selected.

I think the reason they go to convention to compete is because it's the afa convention and they want to be a part of it. The WCB team is already selected. I doubt the guys who just missed out on the WCB team are going to try out for the AFT.
If no one from the WCB competed at the convention then the competition would die, and the AFT would be selected at a WCB competition.JMO

I guess we'll see what happens at the convention. I don't have an inside track on anything but I get the funny feeling the top wcb guys are looking to make an impression at the convention. That's just my gut feeling, maybe I'm wrong.

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 18:58 #199

tbloomer wrote:
Could it be that when you are sourrounded by business people you forget that you are not just a farrier, but you are in the farrier business? Aren't you a business man?

Tom, you make a good point. Never looked at it that way. I probably could use a lot of help in that area. I have to admit, that I'm probably not a very good business man. :)
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way, but must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 19:01 #200

Cyber Farrier wrote:
Only because I know that was completely tongue-in-cheek will this thread continue.

Baron

It's okay Baron. At least George said Happy Valentines day. :D
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way, but must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 19:06 #201

• scruggs1
tbloomer wrote:
John,

My local association has done something like this every year since we started in conjunction with a local equestian festival. We continue to get called back every year as it has always been a big hit with the festival attendees. So, from my own personal experience, I can see where your program would also be a big hit with horse owners.

Sooooo, why didn't this AFA marketing program take off and become a cornerstone of the AFA marketing outreach?

In all honesty, because I dropped the ball.

We had a slim budget that we spent on 2-3 clinics that year. They went very well and we were quite pleased. Shortly after the 2003 Convention in Salt Lake, I totally dropped the ball and left Craig hanging because I resigned my post and had a career change. I still regret it...

I can't speak for why it was not picked back up afterward, but for that particular place and time, the blame is mine.
Scruggs Farrier Service
John Scruggs, CJF

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 19:10 #202

tbloomer wrote:
fairweatherforge wrote:
it.

Phil, you've come a long way and I'm very proud of you.

Quick, somebody insult Phil before he decides to leave. :cool:

Man you almost sapped the motivation right out of me. Good thing George replied as quick as he did. I can't help it, a product of my generation, slap me upside the head, kick me in the butt. Problem is, seems like this does not work on the younger guys. I try these things on new guys coming into the trade and they leave. :confused:
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 19:11 #203

• solidrockshoer
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 2
tbloomer wrote:
From my perspective, that is the real value of the WCB. Generating excitement and interest. However, there is also a down side to the situation. Sometimes the farriers who would benefit the most from participating in hands-on continuing education are less likely to take advantage of such opportunities because they are intimidated by the whole situation in the first place.

Those individuals need to take that leap of faith themselves. I new individuals show up at the WCB event all the time. Some like to watch just to get a feel to the situation. By the end of the day when they're hanging out drinking some beers with everybody they realize everyone's there having a good time.
The minute a farrier who lacks skill and proficiency picks up a tool or a horse's foot in front of an accomplished proficient clinician, their inadiquacy is exposed for everyone to see. THIS IS A PROBLEM. I consider it the biggest problem in our industry.

LOL! You know how it is, you're the best farrier in the world until somebody's watching you and "that's how I meant to do it" just isn't gonna work anymore. If working in front of somebody makes you nervous, at least you know you care about what you're doing.

How do we overcome this problem? What is it going to take for the skilled and educated farriers to attract the unskilled and uneducated into their circle? How do we create a situation where the inner desire to learn overshadows the self denial presented by the fragile ego?

WCB's already doing it. You have to be realistic though. You can only do it one person at a time then let that person go back and spread the word. Eventually it all starts to snowball.

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 19:30 #204

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
Mike Ferrara wrote:
tbloomer wrote:

When one goes into a class or other training wouldn't it normally be assumed that the material, or some portion of the material, is new to them? Why would they be there if they had already mastered the material?

I'm not saying that you're wrong but I guess I don't get it.
I have had several farriers tell me point blank that they do not want to participate in a hands-on clinic because they were intimidated by the prospect of having their peers see their work. Some of them were beginners and some were farriers for decades.

Let me give you an analogy of sorts:

I've been playing the guitar for 42 years. About 80% of my playing ability was the result of strides I made before I reached age 16. I started with gospel, then moved to classical, then finger style jazz. I learned a little bit from every guitar player I met and along the way I helped a few guitar players myself. In my mid to late 20's I was good 'nuff to make a few bucks on weekends plaing solo gigs in some local pubs.

A few years ago I took my guitar to the wednesday night jam session at the AFA convention. There were a 'bout half a dozen farriers who brought thier guitars. When I started to play, everybody else put their guitars down. They couldn't keep up because what I was playing was a bit more complicated that C, G, D, strum, strum, strum. So I backed off of the more complicated chord progression and started playing less complicated music so that every body else could play along and feel comfortable. I wasn't looking for an audiance, I wanted to jamb. So I adapted what I was playing so that everyone else could participate in the fun.

One of the farriers in the jamb session asked me, "How'd you get so good at the guitar." I knew this particular farrier is a CJF and is well known as an accomplished professional. I answered him with this, "I got good at the Guitar the same way you got good at farriery. I hung out with guitar players that were better than me and asked them to teach me. AND I practiced tirelessly for many years."

In my analogy, a hands-on farrier clinic is a lot like that jamb session. If there's a farrier working in the fire that is really good, you might take a look around and see that a lot of other farriers have put thier hammers down. It's too fast and too complicated and they can't keep up or play along. Thus the student becomes a spectator and the learning stops.

Like jamb sessions, at farrier clinics there is a fine line between the enjoyment of skill sharing and the enjoyment of showing off. It's hard to learn from a showoff. Even harder to keep up if you're not already practiced and talented.
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 19:40 #205

• tbloomer
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 20
Ok Eric, I've got an idea for how to get increased paricipation!!!

Serve free beer at the beginning of the clinic. Then, everybody will bravely let go of their inhibitions and start working in the fire . . .

Ok everybody we're gonna each do 4 shots of Jameson and then build a roadster. I'M IN!!! :D
Tom Bloomer
http://blackburnforge.com
302-222-6404

Here's the deal. I'm trying to keep it simple.

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 19:49 #206

• Martin Kenny
  • Contributing Member
Hi guys, been a while since I have had a chance to get in here. Been a lot of good stuff written this week. :)

I was out in the clinic this AM and had about 15 minutes before my next client was to arrive. I noticed a note on my board to make a horse head hoof pick for a friend and took advantage of the spare time to get it made. While I was setting getting started, I thought, "Why waste the time between heats on my stock. Let's see if the old man can still make a horse shoe or not." So I found a section of steel and put it in to work on between heats on my stock for the hoof pick.

It has been tossed around on here (on more than one occasion, by more than one person) that just because I elect to shoe cold, these days, that somehow that makes me less of a Farrier. So I decided to see how it went making a shoe toady.

Now remember, that I have not made a shoe in over 6 years, and have not competed since 1987. I am posting a photo of the shoe I made this AM, just to offer that the old man can in fact still get-er-dun! It was made from COLD ROLLED 5/16 X 3/4 stock, that was rusted pretty well, (bought in 1992). Just want to warn Tom Stovall and Jaye Perry, that you will see hammer marks in the steel. Please forgive me, but it's been a while.

Took me 5 heats to make it, complete with the heel caulks. Frankly I am pretty pleased with my self!! LOL Not competitive quality, but hey the horse wouldn't care!
Attachments:
If you feel shoeing horses is best served by how well you can work in the forge, you are missing the point!

It is how well you shoe a horse, so he performs at his best advantage, IN SPITE of his personal issues. Forge work is simply a tool that MAY be...

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 20:04 #207

• Jaye Perry
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 1
Martin Kenny... Just want to warn Tom Stovall and Jaye Perry, that you will see hammer marks in the steel. Please forgive me, but it's been a while.

From my professional perpective it, the shoe, will suffice; Mr. Tom may have a different view of the shoe. Personal views of you may be continued at a later date:rolleyes:

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 22:19 #208

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
Phil Armitage wrote:

My wife has worked in the corporate environment for over 25 years as an executive assistant.

"Executive assistant". Isn't that PC speak for 'secretary'?
It is totally different when you walk through the front doors of a corporation meet up with a receptionist and security, walk the halls and everyone in suits look you over as you walk to your wife's office dressed in genes and a cotton shirt.

I might point out that without those genes(sic), you wouldn't be so would have no need of a cotton shirt.........
They love to ask each other what the other person does for a living at social events.

Perhaps the answer is, nothing. For unless you are the caterer or wait staff or hired entertainment, you are probably not doing anying for a living at social events....:)
I recall many moments when asked what I did the enthusiasm in the conversation immediately changed and ended abruptly to seek out another person to mingle with.

Have you considered it might be because of halitosis?
Not the life for me, I like my genes......

Then thank your ancestors. :p
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 22:29 #209

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
vthorseshoe wrote:
The WCB is about forging.
And is not affiliated with the AFA other than Craig is the past AFA President.

Ummmmm, Bruce, the WCB is an AFA chapter.
The way you folks are thinking has been part of the problem with the AFA.
Everyone has to get into a new frame of mind and realize the world is changing and the AFA has to change with it.

Actually, it doesn't. It(the AFA) can choose to muddle along status quo and be further relegated to the dung heap of history.
Tom Bloomer, as the newly elected President of the Guild, I am most interested in the things you will bring to the Guild, the projects you will start, the manner you bring folks together and the interest in the Guild you will bring to light.
I want to see what a Corporate person will actually do for a farrier Association.
I want to see how members react to your idea's and concepts.
I want to see how you handle situations and work through them.

"Judge Adam Fenton: You think I judged him too harshly? Used him for kindling my fire of justice? Well, maybe that's inevitable when there's only one man, one court, with the power of final justice over a territory that's five times the size of most states. Mistakes? Oh, I've made 'em, Cooper. Don't you doubt about that. Don't you doubt, either, there are times sitting up there in that judgement seat I wished, I prayed, that there was someone standing between me and God Almighty - someone with the power to say, "You're wrong, Fenton. You've made an error in law - that this man deserves another trial, this man here a reprieve, this man is innocent." But until this territory becomes a state with a governor and a state court of appeals, I am the law here - all the law. If you don't like that, you can cuss me till hell freezes over... or you can join me, Cooper; even fight me. Help me turn this God forsaken territory into a state where no one man calls himself the law. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gscut1p4kY

:D:D
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:Is the AFA relevant to the THE HORSE OWNING PUBLIC? 14 Feb 2009 22:34 #210

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
fairweatherforge wrote:

I get the funny feeling the top wcb guys are looking to make an impression at the convention.

For what reason, to what end?
Rick Burten PF

."

Je pense donc je suis

Kunena Birthday Module

• Mike Chaffin birthday is today
  • shelby820 birthday is today
  • hatcher barry birthday is in 1 day
  • cowgirlup birthday is in 363 days
  • gabear67E2 birthday is in 363 days
  • AClement birthday is in 364 days
  • andreanelson birthday is in 364 days
  • dani_shoes78 birthday is in 364 days
  • Docbarhorse birthday is in 364 days
  • SherryinPA birthday is in 364 days
  • WeercerigD10C birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.