make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Sunday May 22, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA?

What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 11:10 #1

• Martin Kenny
  • Contributing Member
I have accepted a nomination for VP of the AFA; so have been putting together my platform for running. I look back at past indviduals who have held elected office of the AFA and wonder why they were elected?

When I say that, I don't mean that by looking back, the people holding the position should not have been there, but I mean I wonder why the members of the AFA decided which person to vote for? Was it name recognition? Was it forging ability? Was it a propensity to stir up controversies? Was it because he was from the same area of the person voting? Was it because the nominee had a large shoeing practice?

If any of those reasons are the reason you marked the ballot, then you my friend are the problem, not the answer!

There can be ONLY ONE REASON to vote for a person to fill a role of leadership!!!!!!! HE/She MUST HAVE LEADERSHIP QUALITIES. I have been in the AFA for way too long My number is #178, if that tells you anything. I have had to mark my ballot ABSTAIN more times than I care to think about. Not because I didn't know any of the people running, because I did know them. THAT IS WHY I HAD TO MARK ABSTAIN!!!!! You see, I may have been the one that tested them for certification decades ago, they may have had great practices, made beautiful shoes, been wonderful to sit and have dinner with. Heck they may have even been heads of committees of the AFA. BUT THEY WERE NOT LEADERS!!!!!!!!!!

I have been told many times over the years that I have leadership qualities and I laughed. But after being elected President of every 4-H group I ever attended, the youngest member ever elected of a county fair board when I was just 17, the President of the Pennsylvania Guild of Professional Horseshoers,. Then I was nominated (and accepted) to run for VP of AFA in the 80's only to stop running due to business travel making me feel I could not serve correctly. After that I was made the original President of the Pennsylvania Equine Council, Head Deacon at three churches, head Elder at another (I moved around a lot) and now asked to not run for regional BoD position like I intended to do, but instead run for the VP slot of the AFA; I have to begin to agree that JUST MAYBE; JUST MAYBE PEOPLE DO SEE THAT I HAVE LEADERSHIP QUALITIES!!

Now I say that with all humbleness. I may have leadership qualities, but I am not certain I am happy about that. You see, as anyone in leadership will tell you, being out front is no way to make friends!

I have studied LEADERSHIP, been to seminars put on by some of the best in the business of training leadership, read books galore etc.
First thing to remember is this. if the organization or business is failing to grow as it ought, the problem is the leadership! Not to say they are doing anything wrong, just that they are the problem. You see, NO ORGANIZATION can possibly grow higher than the person at the top. It is called the "Law Of The Lid". It means that the leader sets the lid on the organization. If the organization is not growing; then it has hit the lid placed on itself with the leader that has set that lid by his/her own limitations.

I will leave you to ponder that one for awhile and beat it around probably even longer. From time to time I will give you more fuel to beat around and flame up as we move forward toward the next AFA elections.

I will WARN YOU THOUGH. this is not a place to poke at past or present office holders. It is strictly a place to offer thought provoking dialog about how the AFA can and should choose leaders in order to become the organization that it has the potential to become. IF YOU DO THAT OR IF YOU DO NOT PUT DOWN YOUR REAL NAME (FIRST AND LAST) SOMEWHERE IN YOUR DIALOG, I WILL KICK OUT YOUR COMMENTS !!!!!!!

Let's act like professionals and not like little kids in the sand box!

So there you have it, go at it, let us know what you think UNLESS it is non productive! Then you can keep it to yourself!
Martin D. Kenny AFA #178
Carthage, NC
If you feel shoeing horses is best served by how well you can work in the forge, you are missing the point!

It is how well you shoe a horse, so he performs at his best advantage, IN SPITE of his personal issues. Forge work is simply a tool that MAY be...
The topic has been locked.

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 11:30 #2

Hi Martin, sitting here pondering your post. :)

First thing that came to mind is what will it take for me to rejoin the AFA and what do I consider a good leader. I do my best thinking bent over under a horse. So while I clean out the dirt, trim, shape shoes and nail them up today I will give this a lot of thought and get back to your post.

For what it is worth, I think your starting off on the right foot by gathering input. Best way to avoid unprofessionalism and a dog fight is to avoid reacting to dim witted comments, can be a difficult thing to do, I know from experience. I have played with skunks and still trying to get that smell off of me. :D
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way, but must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 15:12 #3

• solidrockshoer
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 2
Martin Kenny wrote:
If any of those reasons are the reason you marked the ballot, then you my friend are the problem, not the answer!

So now the membership is the problem? You should withdrawl your vp nomination.

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 15:47 #4

Eric Russell wrote:

So now the membership is the problem? You should withdrawl your vp nomination.

I'll have to agree with Eric... You should withdraw.
Norman E. Foley CJF AFA #733
Make haste.... slowly.

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 16:18 #5

• beslagsmed
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 5
When I say that, I don't mean that by looking back, the people holding the position should not have been there, but I mean I wonder why the members of the AFA decided which person to vote for? Was it name recognition? Was it forging ability? Was it a propensity to stir up controversies? Was it because he was from the same area of the person voting? Was it because the nominee had a large shoeing practice?

I don't think I would be so quick to judge on that sentence. I you read the paragraph above it (which I provided here) you will notice there is an absence of "leadership" which I think Martin is trying to point out.

One may have all the abilities of a good farrier, but if he don't have the ablility to lead and get things done, then what good is he in the office? I think what Martin wants us to look at is was it only for good farrier skills or popular name why one is placed in office, or is there good leadership skill involved?

22.5 yrs in the military has taught me that good leadership goes a long way. You may not have the skills to get every job done, but if you know how to direct you assets and get people to support you and do the job required of them, then the over all mission will be completed.

JMO
Mikel Dawson, RJF

(Denmark)
What part of "NO" don't you understand!!

Caution: Watch for hoof in mouth disease!!!

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 17:44 #6

• Martin Kenny
  • Contributing Member
Norman E. Foley wrote:
Eric Russell;114374 wrote:

I am sorry both Norman and Eric seem to misunderstand the intent of my opening. The quote they list is AFTER the following............When I say that, I don't mean that by looking back, the people holding the position should not have been there, but I mean I wonder why the members of the AFA decided which person to vote for? Was it name recognition? Was it forging ability? Was it a propensity to stir up controversies? Was it because he was from the same area of the person voting? Was it because the nominee had a large shoeing practice?....... Now if they or anyone else construes that as slamming the membership then I urge you to read it again and ponder what it says.

If we vote for the wrong reasons then we deserve what we get.... myself included, I must say. (There Eric and Norman, now I am blaming myself as well.... feel better?)

The AFA was started by Walt Taylor. Now I've known Walt for 35 years. He was not a particularly great farrier back then. (Don't know about now; perhaps he’s great now, but it DOES NOT MATTER GUYS). What mattered was that he was the guy who had the energy to get the AFA off the ground. It took him YEARS to get it done. He spent a lot of his own money and time working real hard at getting the AFA up and running. In time though, the membership saw a need to replace him. Did that mean that he was not a leader? NOT AT ALL! It just meant that he had taken the AFA as far as it could go under his leadership. Pure and simple, that is all that it meant.

Over the years we have had people in leadership positions that were WONDERFUL farriers, but frankly not very good leaders. Thus this organization has flailed around for a very long time; and frankly, not really accomplished very much given that we have been around for OVER THREE DECADES.

Let me give you an example that has nothing to do with farriers; (or even horses for that matter) to illustrate what I mean by saying that the membership is at fault if they elect people for the wrong reasons.

I know a great leader that has turned many fortune five hundred companies around when they were experiencing stagnation. (By the way, the AFA is going through stagnation right now. It is blamed on the economy, but that is not the reason.) Anyway, this man was quoted recently for saying that the first thing he always does is fire the president of the organization he is asked to help. As he puts it, the Law of The Lid says that the organization has become stagnant because the president has taken it as far as it can go. TIME FOR NEW LEADERSHIP! That being said, does not mean the past the leaders were bad, just that they had taken the organization as far as it could go with that particular leadership. PURE AND SIMPLE! NOTHING MORE< NOTHING LESS

Do you know what makes a number one draft pick for a quarter back? Can’t it be said that the majority of the quarterbacks have roughly the same physical capabilities as their comrades? Of course they do. The number one draft pick is in that category because he has the ability to LEAD THE TEAM!!!!

So I leave you with this. If you are picking elected officers because they are good, quarterbacks that can throw the ball very well, you will have a pretty good game to watch. BUT if you are picking the quarter back because he can LEAD THE TEAM; then you will have a great season, no matter what comes up during the year.

SO decide what you want, and vote according to that decision. If you feel we have reached our potential, then keep voting the way you always have. If you don’t feel we have done all that we can do, then CHANGE THE WAY you make the decision on who to vote for. Either way, it’s your AFA, so if it is what you want it to be, vote as you always have. If not, then stop complaining and getting so easily offended and vote for someone that has the ability to LEAD THE AFA even better than he/she has the ability to shoe a horse.

Oh by the way………. I will not be withdrawing my nomination just because you are so easily offended. I frankly am a pretty darned good farrier and have proven (with many volunteer organizations over the years) that I am an even better LEADER! Thanks for your vote in the upcoming election!
If you feel shoeing horses is best served by how well you can work in the forge, you are missing the point!

It is how well you shoe a horse, so he performs at his best advantage, IN SPITE of his personal issues. Forge work is simply a tool that MAY be...

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 17:50 #7

• Martin Kenny
  • Contributing Member
If you want to know about my work, that is easy, go to my website www.thehoofcenter.com and have a blast.

Frankly the AFA does not need top farriers at the helm , they need top leaders!
If the top leaders happen to be top farriers so much the better. Do you think the president of Ford Motor Company can build a car. NOT LIKELY!! But he knows how to recognize who can do what job, put that person in position to do that job and (probably the most important step) STAY OUT THEIR WAY WHILE THEY DO THAT JOB!!!
Go back and look at beslagsmed's post, he's got it!

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 17:57 #8

• Martin Kenny
  • Contributing Member
An answer to the horseshoer vs farrier question.
ITS NOT IMPORTANT TO ME TO DETERMINE THAT FOR YOU TO BE A LEADER IN THE AFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for me???????? I'm a farrier, see www.thehoofcenter.com

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 18:39 #9

• solidrockshoer
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm not sure if you offended anyone or not. You didn't offend me. At the very least you gave me a good laugh. Your website is very funny. I think AFA members would love to have someone who never uses his forge. Hasn't clipped a shoe in over ten years. And carries two types of shoes. Very impressive. If elected would you still have time to travel to vet clinics and horseowners farms to train their farriers? LOL

BTW, you mentioned you are a pretty darn good farrier and posted your website. Which page is the darn good farriery on?

One other thing, you sound like someone who might know doug butler and/or esco buff. You seem to be into self promotion, just a little abrasive at it.

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 19:53 #10

• Jaye Perry
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 1
Norman E. Foley wrote:
Eric Russell wrote:

I have to agree also; what a smugg statement:rolleyes:

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 22:04 #11

• Martin Kenny
  • Contributing Member
This exercise was never meant to discuss how I or anyone else shoes horses, so from here forward, that subject will be reason for being ignored as well. Remember that your opinion, or my opinion, is not what pays my bills or your bills and those that do pay our bills are watching how we behave on here and I for one am appalled at how many on here behave. It seems that as soon as someone shows they may do something different than someone else, then the ignorance comes forth. That my friends is exactly why I (AND MANY OTHER PROGRESSIVE THINKING PEOPLE) stay away from the dribble on these forums.

SO THE SUBJECT...........ONE MORE TIME......................IS........
WHAT MAKES ONE A GOOD ELECTED OFFICER (I did not say good farrier) OF THE AFA?????????????????????

ANY QUESTIONS??????????????????????????????????????

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 22:15 #12

• Jaye Perry
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 1
Martin Kenny...... for one am appalled at how many on here behave. It seems that as soon as someone shows they may do something different than someone else, then the ignorance comes forth. That my friends is exactly why I (AND MANY OTHER PROGRESSIVE THINKING PEOPLE) stay away from the dribble on these forums.

Doin' things different and be able to tell that a shoe was nailed fine and then pinched the laminae with clinchers; then assumiultaed to "whiteline"~~ Plate #3 in one of the dazzlin' diatribes per your website~~~~~~being able to think logically and "differently " are two "different" cans of soup.:rolleyes:

Your center for horse leg and foot care seems to have some simularities of a research center in north Georgia.:eek:

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 22:47 #13

• Rick Burten
  • Enforcer
  • Thank you received: 50
Martin Kenny wrote:
Frankly the AFA does not need top farriers at the helm , they need top leaders!
Precisely! And congratulations on your nomination.
Rick Burten PF

In the immortal words of Ron White: "But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix S-tupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. S-tupid is forever."
."

Je pense donc je suis

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 22:54 #14

• Martin Kenny
  • Contributing Member
Rick Burten wrote:
Precisely! And congratulations on your nomination.

Thanks Rick

RE:What makes one a good ELECTED OFFICER of the AFA? 21 Jun 2008 23:30 #15

Martin Kenny wrote:
Norman E. Foley;114376 wrote:

I am sorry both Norman and Eric seem to misunderstand the intent of my opening. The quote they list is AFTER the following............When I say that, I don't mean that by looking back, the people holding the position should not have been there, but I mean I wonder why the members of the AFA decided which person to vote for? Was it name recognition? Was it forging ability? Was it a propensity to stir up controversies? Was it because he was from the same area of the person voting? Was it because the nominee had a large shoeing practice?....... Now if they or anyone else construes that as slamming the membership then I urge you to read it again and ponder what it says.

If we vote for the wrong reasons then we deserve what we get.... myself included, I must say. (There Eric and Norman, now I am blaming myself as well.... feel better?)

The AFA was started by Walt Taylor. Now I've known Walt for 35 years. He was not a particularly great farrier back then. (Don't know about now; perhaps he’s great now, but it DOES NOT MATTER GUYS). What mattered was that he was the guy who had the energy to get the AFA off the ground. It took him YEARS to get it done. He spent a lot of his own money and time working real hard at getting the AFA up and running. In time though, the membership saw a need to replace him. Did that mean that he was not a leader? NOT AT ALL! It just meant that he had taken the AFA as far as it could go under his leadership. Pure and simple, that is all that it meant.

Over the years we have had people in leadership positions that were WONDERFUL farriers, but frankly not very good leaders. Thus this organization has flailed around for a very long time; and frankly, not really accomplished very much given that we have been around for OVER THREE DECADES.

Let me give you an example that has nothing to do with farriers; (or even horses for that matter) to illustrate what I mean by saying that the membership is at fault if they elect people for the wrong reasons.

I know a great leader that has turned many fortune five hundred companies around when they were experiencing stagnation. (By the way, the AFA is going through stagnation right now. It is blamed on the economy, but that is not the reason.) Anyway, this man was quoted recently for saying that the first thing he always does is fire the president of the organization he is asked to help. As he puts it, the Law of The Lid says that the organization has become stagnant because the president has taken it as far as it can go. TIME FOR NEW LEADERSHIP! That being said, does not mean the past the leaders were bad, just that they had taken the organization as far as it could go with that particular leadership. PURE AND SIMPLE! NOTHING MORE< NOTHING LESS

Do you know what makes a number one draft pick for a quarter back? Can’t it be said that the majority of the quarterbacks have roughly the same physical capabilities as their comrades? Of course they do. The number one draft pick is in that category because he has the ability to LEAD THE TEAM!!!!

So I leave you with this. If you are picking elected officers because they are good, quarterbacks that can throw the ball very well, you will have a pretty good game to watch. BUT if you are picking the quarter back because he can LEAD THE TEAM; then you will have a great season, no matter what comes up during the year.

SO decide what you want, and vote according to that decision. If you feel we have reached our potential, then keep voting the way you always have. If you don’t feel we have done all that we can do, then CHANGE THE WAY you make the decision on who to vote for. Either way, it’s your AFA, so if it is what you want it to be, vote as you always have. If not, then stop complaining and getting so easily offended and vote for someone that has the ability to LEAD THE AFA even better than he/she has the ability to shoe a horse.

Oh by the way………. I will not be withdrawing my nomination just because you are so easily offended. I frankly am a pretty darned good farrier and have proven (with many volunteer organizations over the years) that I am an even better LEADER! Thanks for your vote in the upcoming election!

My opinion stands. I've re-read your intial post, multiple times and it still strikes me the same.... you are disparaging the AFA Membership.

Your reply to Eric and myself is quite patronizing. You speak of not bringing up the past and that it's not about how you shoe a horse.... and then impune Walt Talyor's reputation as a farrier, but then try to qualify it as, "then and now".

If you wanted discourse, you should have simply asked the question in your thread title and left it at that and refrained from the shameless self promotion of your "Leadership Skills".
Norman E. Foley CJF AFA #733
Make haste.... slowly.

Kunena Birthday Module

• ShirleyJ birthday is today
  • Soundhooves birthday is today
  • Blackzmith birthday is in 1 day
  • Lisapony birthday is in 1 day
  • Mike Langhof birthday is in 1 day
  • filmbak62F7 birthday is in 363 days
  • ALL HOOF FARRIER SERVICES birthday is in 364 days
  • JOHNNDERIDD birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.