make up natural cara make up make up tutorial make up korea make up minimalis make up artis make up mata belajar make up make up wardah alat make up makeup forever indonesia makeup artist jakarta tips make up barbie make up natural make up make up wajah make up pesta make up syahrini makeup mata makeup minimalis peralatan make up make up cantik make up mac make up kit jual make up make up sederhana perlengkapan make up gambar make up vidio make up cara makeup minimalis wardah make up make up pac make up glamour cara memakai makeup make up panggung harga make up make up modern make up alami make up dasar pixy make up make up muslimah make up oriflame make up jepang makeover cosmetic make up ultima make up sariayu grosir make up makeup fantasi makeup pesta tas makeup langkah make up make up pria make up malam alat makeup tahapan make up produk make up shading make up mak up make up kebaya make up jilbab make up inez make up simpel contoh make up cara ber makeup makeup wajah tanpa make up make up terbaru toko make up mac makeup indonesia make up soft urutan make up trik make up makeover makeup brand gusnaldi make up paket make up panduan make up jual makeup brush make up bagus alat2 make up make up gusnaldi aplikasi make up alat alat makeup dasar make up inez make up peralatan makeup make up wanita make up berjilbab make up tebal sejarah make up make up maybeline make up branded make up siang tata cara makeup reseller make up make up muslim make up maybelin warna make up tips make up artist rias make up make up mata make up artis belajar make up make up artist kursus make up kuas make up make up forever indonesia jual make up mac indonesia make up make up artist indonesia harga make up forever jual make up online make up pac make up forever jakarta make up oriflame jual make up forever make up online shop indonesia harga make up sekolah make up grosir make up harga make up maybelline jual make up murah make up terbaru mak up mac make up indonesia sofia make up make up kit murah mac makeup indonesia produk make up jual make up kit make up store indonesia make up forever academy jakarta toko make up online jual make up set jual make up mac make up beauty jual make up branded produk make up mac make up forever harga make up mac indonesia produk make up artis jual make up palette produk make up forever make up palette murah before after make up pengantin before after make up sendiri before n after hasil makeup contoh make up karakter contoh riasan pengantin before n after harga make up wisuda harga make up artist harga make up forever make up wisuda rias wisuda di jogja Daftar harga make up forever daftar harga make up mac daftar harga kosmetik make up forever makeup wisuda harga makeup wisuda kursus make up di yogyakarta kursus make up di jogja kursus make up jogja kursus make up yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di yogyakarta kursus kecantikan di jogja kursus make up artist di jogja kursus rias pengantin di jogja kursus rias di yogyakarta kursus tata rias di yogyakarta rias pengantin muslim jogja jasa kreasi jilbab wisuda yogyakarta jasa rias make up wisuda murah bagus bisa dpanggil tempat make uf di jigja yang bagus rias wisuda murah dan berkualitas yogyakarta pakar kreasi jilbab di jogja make uper natural yogya make up wisuda hijab area jogja make up dan kreasi jilbab yang bagus di jogja jasa make up natural untuk wisuda jogja makeup jogja make up jogja makeup yogyakarta make up yogyakarta makeup wisuda jogja make up wisuda jogja make up wisuda yogyakarta makeup wisuda yogyakarta
Sunday May 22, 2022
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: AFA Certification

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 16:12 #226

• Tom Stovall CJF
  • Master
  • Thank you received: 1
Mike Ferrara

If you take away the time constraints it isn't the AFA CJF test.

Quite true! In the interest of accuracy, such a test should be called a Geriatric Test of Motor Skills incorporating every aspect of the AFA CJF practicals except time constraints. Accuracy in nomenclature counts. :)
Tom Stovall, CJF
"The only foolish question is the one left unasked."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 16:35 #227

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 3
TRIP HAMMER wrote:
Phil,
Pretty shoes won't get you certified - good quality work will.

To be accurate, work that meets the AFA specs will get you certified.

Good work looks good; bad work looks bad!

No. Looks just don't tell the whole story unless you consider "looks" as including the overall performance of the horse. A shoeing job can look great and still fail to meet the objectives.

Would I want to pass the test again? I don't need to! I'm already peer reviewed. Are you?
John Blombach

Do you mean "peer reviewed" or AFA reviewed? Who are your peers? Am I one of your peers? I have not reviewed your work and neither the AFA nor any other organization or person are authorized to speak or "review" for me. I'm not AFA certified but my work has certainly been reviewed by quite a few of my peers. To be more specific, the peers who's review I value.

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 16:38 #228

• TRIP HAMMER
  • Contributing Member
Mike Ferrara wrote:
Sorry but I'd submit that the AFA CJF practical has little relevance to the way most of us shoe horses in 2008.

Mike,

I have never needed to use a hand signal, but I was required to demonstrate their use before I was permitted to drive.

You might be right but I think that in 2008 farriers need to be more skilled than at any other time in history. You are talking about a time when shoeing was just a small part of the business of a blacksmith shop. Today Farriers specialize and do nothing but shoeing and must be able to do the whole job, not just floor work. Therefore it is imperative that we retain the skills of the forge as well as preparing the foot. A foot that is trimmed incorrectly isn't any better than a shoe that is poorly fit and punched for the wrong nail.

The engineer that's turning the knobs, fine tuning the nail hole size and location on your keg shoes has never been under a horse and has no knowledge of farrier science other than what has been learned from those farriers who have taken the time to learn shoe making correctly.

Contrary to popular belief, I use keg shoes almost exclusively in my business. The choice is simple for me. Do I want to make money or do I want to make horseshoes?

That said, lets not loose forever, the skills of our time honored craft.

John Blombach
"That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet"

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 16:42 #229

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
TRIP HAMMER wrote:

John Blombach

John, I agree.

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 16:45 #230

Tom Stovall, CJF wrote:
I certainly wouldn't want to take the CJF test again, have no interest in doing so, or time to devote to the practice necessary to recover any motor skills I once had; however, if you take away the time constraints of the practicals, I'll bet you $1,000 I can still pass every portion of the CJF test. Y'see, I still have a fair grasp of basics. :)

Who the heck would dare to fail you? :D

Not a bet I am willing to take.
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way, but must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 16:48 #231

TRIP HAMMER wrote:
I don't need to! I'm already peer reviewed. Are you?
John Blombach

Never stop learning John. In my opinion when you stop learning then it is time to walk away.

As for peer reviewed, absolutely by people who continue to learn, that I highly respect and trust. To hear one of them say they trust me is worth a lot. :D
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way, but must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 16:54 #232

• TRIP HAMMER
  • Contributing Member
Mike Ferrara wrote:
No. Looks just don't tell the whole story unless you consider "looks" as including the overall performance of the horse. A shoeing job can look great and still fail to meet the objectives.

Mike,
A bad job is a bad job period, it is bad and it looks bad. A good job on the other hand is good work and it looks it, period. Good work never looks bad and bad work never looks good. Under what circumstances would a bad job make a horse perform good or the other way around?
John Blombach

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 16:59 #233

TRIP HAMMER wrote:
Mike,

I have never needed to use a hand signal, but I was required to demonstrate their use before I was permitted to drive.

Wow your old. Only kidding. :D

TRIP HAMMER wrote:
You might be right but I think that in 2008 farriers need to be more skilled than at any other time in history. You are talking about a time when shoeing was just a small part of the business of a blacksmith shop. Today Farriers specialize and do nothing but shoeing and must be able to do the whole job, not just floor work. Therefore it is imperative that we retain the skills of the forge as well as preparing the foot. A foot that is trimmed incorrectly isn't any better than a shoe that is poorly fit and punched for the wrong nail.

Agree.

TRIP HAMMER wrote:
The engineer that's turning the knobs, fine tuning the nail hole size and location on your keg shoes has never been under a horse and has no knowledge of farrier science other than what has been learned from those farriers who have taken the time to learn shoe making correctly.

Nothing that a 1/8" drill bit can't fix.

TRIP HAMMER wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, I use keg shoes almost exclusively in my business. The choice is simple for me. Do I want to make money or do I want to make horseshoes?

Smart.

TRIP HAMMER wrote:

John Blombach

Agree; and you will find many on here members of the AFA or not that totally agree with that. The AFA does not own the craft lock stock and barrel. :)

Well John you and Mr. Stoval and all the other die hard AFA members that lurk have received a lot of good open communications. In my opinion I can give a rat's patootie what you do with it. Use it, modify it or discard it. Don't matter to me.
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 17:26 #234

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
TRIP HAMMER wrote:
Mike,
A bad job is a bad job period, it is bad and it looks bad. A good job on the other hand is good work and it looks it, period. Good work never looks bad and bad work never looks good. Under what circumstances would a bad job make a horse perform good or the other way around?
John Blombach

You're mixing performance and looks. Good work never loosk bad but it might not be right. I've shod plenty of show horses that I had to go back and change. It's not that the original work was bad, it just wasn't right.

If I could figure them all right on the first try, I could make a lot of money without ever bending over or standing in front of a hot forge.

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 17:29 #235

• smitty88
  • Guru
  • Thank you received: 64
What did you have to change
Smitty88
John Mc Loughlin

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 17:36 #236

• Mike Ferrara
  • Guru
smitty88 wrote:
What did you have to change

For the most part, length and/or weight and/or angle on one or more feet.

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 18:13 #237

• solidrockshoer
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 2
Phil Armitage wrote:
What is unfortunate with all that focus on making shoes look pretty very little attention goes into a proper trim and yes the bad word balance.

Yeah, I hate all that focus on basic skills too!:rolleyes:
I would like to see some of the guys that have had there CJF for years stand for the exam today and pass now that life and the real world is busier. I don't think Rick, John or Tom Stoval could do it or would want to do it.

What would be the point of having guys on the backside of there careers retake the cjf?

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 18:32 #238

Phil,

If you want to do a certification with handmades but wish to have the ability to choose the method of balance or to add a rocker or some other modification that may not meet the grading standard of the AFA test why not go for the GPF test?

Rick says you can do a modification so long as you are able to defend its appropriateness to the Guild examiner.

I can't argue with Tom S's point that the perimiter fit is easy to measure and objective. I do feel however that its an achievement to get the Guild cert and the NB cert as well.
George Spear
CNBBT, CNBF, CLS

".....and I said to the horse: Trust no man in whose eyes you do not see yourself reflected as an equal."
Don Vincenzo Giobbe
CA. 1700

"What people do not appreciate is that every time a horse submits to...

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 21:23 #239

• TRIP HAMMER
  • Contributing Member
Guys,
Getting back on course again - back to the AFA Certification testing, in particular the cognitive or intellectual portions of the exam. Good points have been made on improving the pass rate. Not anywhere enough time is spent preparing candidates for the test, the written and how to take and pass tests if you are older and been out of the education environment for long periods.

In summary it appears farriers believe they have the knowledge to pass by virtue of practicing the craft on a daily basis. Of course, if that were true the certification would mean nothing. Maybe more emphasis on relationships between anatomy, physiology, pathology and gail abnormalities. How and why a particular relationship exists and how through trimming and applying shoes using inductive reasoning, decide how a particular problem may be solved.

Practical or psycomotor testing should be accomplished by evaluation against a pre determined criteria such as the AFA's. I have my own ideas about what a proper shoeing job consists of as I expect eveyone else does also. That is what makes us individuals and why our customers seek out our services. Testing requires one standard and one set of rules that apply to all. All testing is like that whether it's a driving test, flying test or shoeing test. Meet the pre established minimum standard or fail. It's a good system - you always know where you stand.
John Blombach

RE:AFA Certification 13 Apr 2008 21:58 #240

George_Spear wrote:
Phil,

If you want to do a certification with handmades but wish to have the ability to choose the method of balance or to add a rocker or some other modification that may not meet the grading standard of the AFA test why not go for the GPF test?

Rick says you can do a modification so long as you are able to defend its appropriateness to the Guild examiner.

I can't argue with Tom S's point that the perimiter fit is easy to measure and objective. I do feel however that its an achievement to get the Guild cert and the NB cert as well.

George good idea, however the Guild and NB Cert. come no where near the Certification the AFA offers. Sorry, but that is a fact. The AFA Cert. is by far the most recognized and considered the most credible certification in the US. Right or wrong it has deep roots and been around for a long time.
Phil Armitage, CF
AFA member 7480

Kunena Birthday Module

• ShirleyJ birthday is today
  • Soundhooves birthday is today
  • Blackzmith birthday is in 1 day
  • Lisapony birthday is in 1 day
  • Mike Langhof birthday is in 1 day
  • filmbak62F7 birthday is in 363 days
  • ALL HOOF FARRIER SERVICES birthday is in 364 days
  • JOHNNDERIDD birthday is in 364 days
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

S5 Box

Register

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.